PDA

View Full Version : Higher rate lowering springs

LightningVic
11-17-2002, 02:13 PM
I also have a suspension question. I already have edelbrock IAS shocks on my car which have made a huge improvement in my car, but I have a spring question. I have a 1985 montecarlo SS that weighs 3300 lbs, and I am running 760 rate springs, and I notice that for our panther cars, I think the stiffest spring rate ive seen is 420. It seems to me as heavy as our cars are, we really ought to have stiffer springs, and I would really like stiffer springs to finish curing my body roll. Also does anyone know if hotchkiss is coming out with a kit for our cars?
Thanks in advance
Blake Stewart

Pantherman
11-17-2002, 09:49 PM
The Marauder springs attach relatively far out on the lower control arms. The wheel rate goes up at the square of the attachment distance/effective arm length ratio. With the same spring rate, the new suspension is about 70% stiffer than typical earlier designs--and many that are still in production.

cyclone03
11-18-2002, 09:52 AM
Pantherman,
Thats what I was going to say.
It's all about leverage.

Mtl_CV
11-18-2002, 12:23 PM
LightningVic,

Since you have a '02, you don't have the Marauder suspension (or any of the 2003+ changes). I suggest that you visit crownvic.net, where you will find most pre-03 panthers...

To answer your question : Your Vic is equipped with front springs and rear airbags. You can lower the rear by adjusting a sensor. The front is another story. The only lowering springs that I am aware of are Eibach's...F-150 springs (I don't know the rate). I had a set on mine all summer long (currectly off the car for winter). With the rest of my setup (see sig), the car is very stiff. They lowered my Vic by 3". Body-roll ? What body roll ? :)

You could always get rid of your airbags, but I would try bigger sway-bars first (addco). Not to mention that there are no aftermarket springs for our cars. You could also get stiffer P71 springs, but they would not lower the car at all...

SHM offers a set of lowering springs for the Marauder...I am currious to know if the REAR springs would fit on pre-03 panthers...

C.