PDA

View Full Version : "Ohio Supreme Court Rules Officers Can Just Guess How Fast You’re Going"

ctrlraven
06-08-2010, 05:42 AM
http://www.autoinsane.com/2010/06/03/news/ohio-supreme-court-rules-officers-can-just-guess-how-fast-youre-going/

In what has to be one of the biggest violations of common sense and burden of proof in motoring news this year, the Ohio Supreme Court has ruled that officers can “visually estimate” how fast a person is driving… and give them a ticket for it. Thanks Ohio Supreme Court for giving cops the green light to make up speeding tickets.

Supreme Court Justice Maureen O’Connor said “Rational triers of fact could find a police officer’s testimony regarding his unaided visual estimation of a vehicle’s speed, when supported by evidence that the officer is trained, certified by (the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy) or a similar organization, and experienced in making such estimations, sufficient to establish beyond a reasonable doubt the defendant’s speed. Independent verification of the vehicle’s speed is not necessary to support a conviction for speeding.”

Hey “Supreme Court Justices” why don’t you guys get this part of what laws are supposed to do through your thick skulls. It’s safe to say that officers might be trained to identify speeds, and they might even be great at it – but it blasts the notion of burden of proof being on the state out of the water. You didn’t just blast it out, you nuked that fish to dry land. There is no factual evidence when officers have the ability to do this, “I think you were going 120 mph.”

Where is the public recourse for police officers who abuse their abilities? We have to take an officer’s (the state) word that we committed a crime? Did you guys even go to law school?

CBT
06-08-2010, 05:53 AM
Nice! Toss out using breathalyzers, too, then. Think of the money that could be saved by never having to buy and calibrate and maintain radar detectors and DUI equipment. It's a win-win!

PonyUP
06-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Here's a question, most states have higher fines the more over the speed limit you are. So isn't this just a racketeering scheme?? So if the state gets more money because you are doing 60 in a 35, what's to stop them from "estimating" you were doing 63 when you were actually doind 58?

:bigcry:

a_d_a_m
06-08-2010, 07:59 AM
My understanding of the law is that the officer must complete training at OPOTA (Ohio Police Officer Training Academy) in visual estimation of speed. They must make something like 150 'correct' (within 2-3mph) estimations of speed before they are certified and can write tickets based on estimates.

Egon Spengler
06-08-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't care how you slice it... this is bulls***... Cops are bad enough as it is without putting the power of lying into their scope!

Spectragod
06-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't care how you slice it... this is bulls***... Cops are bad enough as it is without putting the power of lying into their scope!

YEAH, that's right, I hate the police...... oh wait, nevermind.....:eek:

Badger
06-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Ohio=not going.

RacerX
06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Well, if you're busted for speeding and know you were, take it like a man. If you get a ticket and were'nt speeding, bring some verified visual movie aids and see how accurate the officer is watching them on the stand. If he's off, guaranteed the judge tosses the ticky...

Pat
06-08-2010, 11:27 AM
This is, so far, just applicable to Ohio residents. What about people passing through? Prolly applies to them also.

So it we don't want this scenario played out in your state, one should start a letter writing campaign.

I try to estimate speeds of cars that pass me on the highway, and aways estimate
5 mph high.

I don't like it, cash strapped local enforcement agencies can bring in revenue more easily.

Egon Spengler
06-08-2010, 11:31 AM
YEAH, that's right, I hate the police...... oh wait, nevermind.....:eek:
I speak of the young newbies today that are on a power trip. I work along side police officers that I respect and work along side police officers that I find totally unacceptable. I can't believe some of the stuff these cops now-a-days pull! Glad this isn't in my state... I would be screwed!

ctrlraven
06-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I wonder if they're doing it so they can get more money and buy some new Interceptor SHO's. :lol:

Mr. Man
06-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Some rich dude will get a ticket and take this law to federal court and it will get tossed, at least I would hope so.

PonyUP
06-08-2010, 01:25 PM
If they can "guess" how fast I'm going, can I "guess" what the speed limit is? :flamer:

Egon Spengler
06-08-2010, 01:32 PM
If they can "guess" how fast I'm going, can I "guess" what the speed limit is? :flamer:
Can I guess the officer's weight?

CBT
06-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Can I guess the officer's weight?
You have to guess it in donuts.

DEFYANT
06-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Frikin cops! Damn shame!

Joe Walsh
06-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Why bother with Radar, Laser and VASCAR when a qualified LEO can peg your speed with his eyeball?

BTW: Isn't Ohio famous for the many podunk town's making almost all of their annual operating budgets off of speed traps?
You know....where the legal speed suddenly drops from 55mph to 30 mph at the town limits and a town LEO is set up 100 yards inside the town line....:rolleyes:

twin03
06-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Wow..Anyway for a state to make money on hard working people....Please don't let that B.S. come to Maryland....

duhtroll
06-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey, give those Ohio officers credit!

They are estimating my speed right now all the way over here in IA.

I just know it. :baaa:

Spectragod
06-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Knock on wood, I don't seem to get tickets? :confused:

Peace2Peep
06-08-2010, 10:20 PM
What did that chicago bulls player say? So who gets their boys together and says, "I know...lets go party in...Cleveland!" ha! Now no one will really ever want to visit, and especially live!

I do however understand "Pacing" someone, but this junk is so dumb! And then our good LEO's get hated on more!