PDA

View Full Version : Parents should just say NO

-Matt-
06-10-2010, 12:25 PM
The 16 y/o girl (from cali) that was going to sail around the world is now lost at sea.

This reminds me of the young girl that was going to fly around the world and crashed and died.

Why cant parents just say NO? Also, who thinks a teenager is prepared enough to handle flying or sailing across the world is beyond me.

Kids lives are not worth the publicity or the record IMO. :shake:

BAD MERC
06-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Anyone ever heard of a GPS locator like on fleet vehicles? A simple 12 volt source would pinpoint her within 15 feet!

dohc324ci
06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
^^Not if capsized...

RacerX
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Just saw something about that and the kid that climbed Everest last week. 20/20 I think it was. That's sad, but, everyone's perspective on this is different. I hope they find her ok.

Cheeseheadbob
06-10-2010, 12:33 PM
18 years old? Knock yourself out. 16 years old? WTF are the parents thinking? I don't care how old or mature a teen ager acts, the brain still has to mature through experience and age. I hope when the impending interview with the parents is aired, I don't hear, "she went out of this world the way she wanted..." Horse hockey....:shake:

MrBluGruv
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
So many women I've dated wanted to go across the world, and they could never actually tell me why though. I don't know if it's just a young woman thing though.

Funny thing is the one girl I dated that actually went on a two-week tour in europe didn't come back the same, that place really ****ed her up in the head.

Zack
06-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Its called natural selection and survival of the fittest..... Charles Darwin needs a break from time to time.

Motorhead350
06-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I disagree with you Matt. My judgment would be based upon previous experience and if I thought any child of mine could handle such a task. If this girl went out of the blue and hasn't been training or is completely new to sailing I agree, very dumb move on everyone's part.

Egon Spengler
06-10-2010, 12:42 PM
What was this girl floating in? Any articles or anything on this? If it is something small, I would figure her to be gone...

-Matt-
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I disagree with you Matt. My judgment would be based upon previous experience and if I thought any child of mine could handle such a task. If this girl went out of the blue and hasn't been training or is completely new to sailing I agree, very dumb move on everyone's part.

Bottom line is that they are, much like you, still a child..... and shouldnt be sailing across the f-n world alone

Black Dynamite
06-10-2010, 12:50 PM
The 16yr old Aussie girl seemed to make it just fine IIRC.

Egon Spengler
06-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Where was the wire clothes hanger...?

Bluerauder
06-10-2010, 12:56 PM
40 foot boat, bad weather, high winds and rough seas in the Indian Ocean. She passed the half-way point on Monday.

California teen girl in trouble on solo world sail

LOS ANGELES — A 16-year-old Southern California girl attempting a solo sail around the world was feared in trouble Thursday in the frigid, heaving southern Indian Ocean after her emergency beacons began signaling and communication was lost.

Abby Sunderland's family was talking with U.S. and international governments about organizing a search of the remote ocean between southern Africa and Australia, family spokesman Christian Pinkston said.

Conditions can quickly become perilous for any sailor exposed to the elements in that part of the world.

"We've got to get a plane out there quick," said Pinkston, who was in close contact with Sunderland's family in Thousand Oaks.

"They are exhausting every resource to try to mobilize an air rescue including discussions with the U.S. State Department, the U.S. Coast Guard and various international rescue organizations," he said.

Abby last communicated with her family at 4 a.m. PDT and reported 30-foot swells but was not in distress, Pinkston said.

An hour later the family was notified that her emergency beacons had been activated, and there was no further communication. Pinkston said the beacons were manually activated.

Abby set sail from Los Angeles County's Marina del Rey in her 40-foot boat, Wild Eyes, on Jan. 23 in an attempt to become the youngest person to sail around the world alone without stopping. Her brother Zac briefly held the record at age 17.

Abby soon ran into equipment problems and had to stop for repairs. She gave up the goal of setting the record in April, but continued on.

On May 15, Australian 16-year-old Jessica Watson claimed the record after completing a 23,000-mile circumnavigation in 210 days.

Abby left Cape Town, South Africa, on May 21 and on Monday reached the halfway point of her voyage.

On Wednesday, she wrote in her log that it had been a rough few days with huge seas that had her boat "rolling around like crazy."

"I've been in some rough weather for awhile with winds steady at 40-45 knots with higher gusts," she wrote. "With that front passing, the conditions were lighter today. It was a nice day today with some lighter winds which gave me a chance to patch everything up. Wild Eyes was great through everything but after a day with over 50 knots at times, I had quite a bit of work to do."

.?

Egon Spengler
06-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Judging by that article and the entry into her diary, I would say she is gone. I hate to say it, but sounds like her and the boat had some tough times with the swells.

Motorhead350
06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Bottom line is that they are, much like you, still a child.....

I'll take that as a complement.

Did you find any info on her training for this or are you going to judge just on press information?

EDIT: Looks like she knew what she was doing and experience was in the family. It's just a sad loss right now. If she's gone she died doing what she wanted and that's the everyone should go.

Zack
06-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I'll take that as a complement.

Did you find any info on her training for this or are you going to judge just on press information?

EDIT: Looks like she knew what she was doing and experience was in the family. It's just a sad loss right now. If she's gone she died doing what she wanted and that's the everyone should go.

Well in that case I feel bad for the guy you are doing missionary on whom you fall dead on. :eek:

Motorhead350
06-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Well in that case I feel bad for the guy you are doing missionary on whom you fall dead on. :eek:

:confused:

How do you do missionary with another guy Zack?

RR|Suki
06-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Poor thing. Our family business is partly sport fishing, been going to sea all my life, but man I can't even imagine the kind of waves out there in the remote part of the Indian Ocean during a storm. At least we have our motors to help try and approach the waves properly. Even then the dinky 20ft' waves we'd get in the Caribbean were enough scare the **** out of you when a storm caught you of guard. Took guts (and maybe a lot of stupidity) for her to be out there alone hundreds of miles from anyone. I would have thought they would have a chase boat, or maybe some checkpoint system so she's always within range of help.

Sad news this. Jah guide and safe travels to the next port young lady. :(

Cheeseheadbob
06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
"We've got to get a plane out there quick," said Pinkston, who was in close contact with Sunderland's family in Thousand Oaks.

"They are exhausting every resource to try to mobilize an air rescue including discussions with the U.S. State Department, the U.S. Coast Guard and various international rescue organizations," he said.

Ok, who is going to pay for this? If the family went into this with a fund set aside to pay for a rescue, then by all means, let them search. If they do not have the ability to pay for what will more than likely be a couple hundred grand I am sure, then put a lien on everything they own and sell it to balance the ledger. It may make some folks think twice about sending little Johnny or Jane into the abyss...

-Matt-
06-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Ok, who is going to pay for this? If the family went into this with a fund set aside to pay for a rescue, then by all means, let them search. If they do not have the ability to pay for what will more than likely be a couple hundred grand I am sure, then put a lien on everything they own and sell it to balance the ledger. It may make some folks think twice about sending little Johnny or Jane into the abyss...

Excellent post sir

Blk Mamba
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
there was a local 17 year old girl, who just sailed from Africa to South America, in the last few months.

Bluerauder
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Poor thing. Our family business is partly sport fishing, been going to sea all my life, but man I can't even imagine the kind of waves out there in the remote part of the Indian Ocean during a storm. At least we have our motors to help try and approach the waves properly. Even then the dinky 20ft' waves we'd get in the Caribbean were enough scare the **** out of you when a storm caught you of guard. Took guts (and maybe a lot of stupidity) for her to be out there alone hundreds of miles from anyone. I would have thought they would have a chase boat, or maybe some checkpoint system so she's always within range of help.

Sad news this. Jah guide and safe travels to the next port young lady. :(

I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay and spend much of my early days around the water. Never really thought much about it until I was caught in a freak storm with gale force winds when I was about 12 years old. Was with my father in a 24 foot boat and I thought for sure that we were about to "buy the farm". I was outright scared and I could tell that my father (normally the Rock of Gibraltar) was very anxious. The Chesapeake Bay can get rather ugly rather quickly with 10-12 foot waves. I can't imagine being in a storm in the Indian Ocean by myself and hundreds (if not thousands) of miles from land facing high winds and 30 foot+ seas.

The girl in this story does seem to have alot of experience and confidence and was maintaining "her cool" under difficult circumstances. Unfortunately, Mother Nature can really turn wild and exceed anyone's abilities. Being by herself must have been a nightmare. :(

Lets hope for the best and that this girl is found alive and not so much the worse for her ordeal.

CBT
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
:confused:

How do you do missionary with another guy Zack?

That's what she said. Then her boat sank.

fastblackmerc
06-10-2010, 02:40 PM

+1 Bob!

Same goes for all the idiots that mountain climb and do other dangerous things and end up being rescued.

LIGHTNIN1
06-10-2010, 03:06 PM
+1 Bob!

Same goes for all the idiots that mountain climb and do other dangerous things and end up being rescued.

I've always said that but thought I was the only one that thought that way. These people should be on their own when they decide on these adventures.Emergency teams should not have to risk their lives for this type situation.

ImpalaSlayer
06-10-2010, 03:06 PM
maybe she saw this and was inspired? :dunno:

NSFW

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7yfISlGLNU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7yfISlGLNU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

fastblackmerc
06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I've always said that but thought I was the only one that thought that way. These people should be on their own when they decide on these adventures.Emergency teams should not have to risk their lives for this type situation.

And if they do required rescue they should pay for all the costs incurred.

Blk Mamba
06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
^^^^^^^^^I always thought they did.

mrjones
06-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm all for my girls doing things that will make them feel more confident and strong.

I could never imagine allowing my daughter OF ANY AGE to sail off around the world by herself. I can only believe that I would be saying my last goodbyes when she left. There are waaaay too many bad people out there, especially on the high seas, for a young and beautiful girl.

It's just crazy.

Phrog_gunner
06-10-2010, 05:45 PM
My judgment would be based upon previous experience .....

Says the poster boy for the legalization of 4th term abortions.

FreddieH
06-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Can you imagine a 16 year old girl out there in this crazy world all by her self with pirates, perverts, cut throats and every other nut job out there that she can easily come across. My daughter stays at arms reach for her safety. Everything today is about money and fame, and getting your name in a history book, safety is on the back burner. She was a target once she left port with all the media coverage.

Mr. Man
06-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Latest news has her about 2000 miles from both Africa ans Australia. She apparently managed to set off two GPS signalling devices, which is good as they are the type set off manually. Aussies have sent a plane to locate her and ships were dispatched from some islands near Madagascar but they are two days out. Hope they find her safe and sound.

Vortex
06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I think alot of this is parents living thru their kids. 16 y/o girls should be in high school, going to football games, being a cheerleader whatever. Youve got all your adult life to climb mountains, bungee jump and other assorted crapola.

Motorhead350
06-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Says the poster boy for the legalization of 4th term abortions.

You're still here? Didn't you earn your vacation yet?

Get a life already.

Mr. Man
06-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I think alot of this is parents living thru their kids. 16 y/o girls should be in high school, going to football games, being a cheerleader whatever. Youve got all your adult life to climb mountains, bungee jump and other assorted crapola.
Article I read said the father did this trip a couple of years ago in a slightly smaller boat.

Bluerauder
06-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Lets hope for the best and that this girl is found alive and not so much the worse for her ordeal.

This morning's news says that her boat is upright and that she is alive and safe. :up:

Krytin
06-11-2010, 04:41 AM
Good news!!!

boatmangc
06-11-2010, 05:00 AM
Good news for sure but Mommy and Daddy need to get the rescue bill!

Joe Walsh
06-11-2010, 05:02 AM

+1 Bob!

And if they do required rescue they should pay for all the costs incurred.

I've always said that but thought I was the only one that thought that way. These people should be on their own when they decide on these adventures. Emergency teams should not have to risk their lives for this type situation.

I couldn't agree more guys!

I'm so tired of these adrenalin junkies, headline grabbers, crazy stunters and just plain stupid adventurers going out and getting their a$$es in a bind.
Then all the sane people have to risk their lives and equipment while spending tons of time and money trying to rescue them....:mad2:
If I read about one more idiot who decides to climb a mountain in a T-shirt, with no EPIRB, just before a blizzard hits.....or a 16 year old girl sailing by herself through Anatarctic waters in the middle of the winter, I'll be forced to wish the worst upon them.

CBT
06-11-2010, 05:07 AM
I couldn't agree more guys!

I'm so tired of these adrenalin junkies, headline grabbers, crazy stunters and just plain stupid adventurers going out and getting their a$$es in a bind.
Then all the sane people have to risk their lives and equipment while spending tons of time and money trying to rescue them....:mad2:
If I read about one more idiot who decides to climb a mountain in a T-shirt, with no EPIRB, just before a blizzard hits.....or a 16 year old girl sailing by herself through Anatarctic waters in the middle of the winter, I'll be forced to wish the worst upon them.
......hater.......

CBT
06-11-2010, 05:07 AM
I think every 16 year old should have a boat and try sailing around the world, less stupid drivers on the road. :beer:

Joe Walsh
06-11-2010, 05:09 AM
I think every 16 year old should have a boat and try sailing around the world, less stupid drivers on the road. :beer:

True, it's easier to text while sailing, but can your all important text messages reach your friends back on shore?

CBT
06-11-2010, 05:19 AM
True, it's easier to text while sailing, but can your all important text messages reach your friends back on shore?

Nope, I've tried :D Well, prior to July 2008 at least.

LIGHTNIN1
06-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Was glad to wake up to the good news. The parents are still adamant about her taking the trip. May she live a long life.

Joe Walsh
06-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I wonder if the proud, supportive parents are going to pay for the HUGE rescue effort that they and their daughter just benefitted from?....:hmmm:

CBT
06-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Female sailor = Giggity!

-Matt-
06-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Female sailor = Giggity!

Shes hot too:

http://recentissuetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/abby-sunderland-2009-8-18-19-40-6-e1276201516809-225x300.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BquY6zd9Wxo/S7fNm3GvTWI/AAAAAAAALR8/e4u_6gXm6cY/s1600/abbySunderland02_t607.jpg

martyo
06-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Shes hot too:

http://recentissuetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/abby-sunderland-2009-8-18-19-40-6-e1276201516809-225x300.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BquY6zd9Wxo/S7fNm3GvTWI/AAAAAAAALR8/e4u_6gXm6cY/s1600/abbySunderland02_t607.jpg

Easy does it sailor.

She is 16!!

-Matt-
06-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Easy does it sailor.

She is 16!!

So? im 17....

CBT
06-11-2010, 09:20 AM
So? im 17....

Yeah, inches!! Wait, that kind of backfired.....

Egon Spengler
06-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Matt??? 17"??? HA!

-Matt-
06-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Matt??? 17"??? HA!

You know it hose man!!

guspech750
06-11-2010, 09:23 AM
:rofl::rofl: Thats Hot!!! Im in the market for a pearl necklace!!

juno
06-11-2010, 09:28 AM
This reminds me of the young girl that was going to fly around the world and crashed and died.

:shake:

Are you referring to the 7 yo flying with her dad and another flight instructor? They made the decision to take off in weather unsuitable for the weight of the plane.

Motorhead350
06-11-2010, 12:27 PM
She isn't a big black woman.

Lame.

RR|Suki
06-11-2010, 12:47 PM
She isn't a big black woman.

Lame.

Say what??:confused:

Egon Spengler
06-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Say what??:confused:
Just ignore him... he got high for the first time...