PDA

View Full Version : Legal Moonshine in Tennessee!

FordNut
06-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Yep, a recent law change allows "craft" distilleries. There's a 'shine shop in Gatlinburg, first batch starts selling in a few weeks. Legal, taxed, clear as water, 100 proof. Yaa hoo, Mountain Dew! (the REAL Mountain Dew)

LIGHTNIN1
06-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Will have to pick some up next trip. A brother lives at Pulaski. Been some years now since partaking.

LANDY
06-10-2010, 02:36 PM
i have drank it once, from Virginia. i tell you i wish i had some permanently at home.
i was wilding out with them country boys.
anyway, thats good news Brian, i might have to take a trip up there just to get some.

merc
06-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Gatlinburg, the site of the next Marauderville. :beer:

thathotrodlincn
06-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I think it is available at the anorth Carolina ABC stores - at least it used to be.

Marauderman
06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I think it is available at the anorth Carolina ABC stores - at least it used to be.

Check and let us Know---otherwise- # 9 seems to go Tenn.

ROCOB
06-10-2010, 04:35 PM
With an age of less than thirty days!

Bottled in a Mason jar, this is supposed to be reminiscent of moonshine (AKA corn likker, AKA white lightning, AKA white dog, AKA liver varnish), and it does a good job.

Other snobs who expect their whiskey to be aged might have turned up their nose upon seeing the less than 30 days old label.

Georgia Moon is clear, and upon twisting off the cap is a potent tang of sour liquor, followed by the smell of sweet corn.

Producer: Heaven Hill Distilleries Inc - www.heaven-hill.com (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:Popup%28%27http://www.heaven-hill.com%27,%20%27producer%27, %20800,%20600,%201%29;)
ABV: 40%
Country of Origin: USA

I tried this stuff one time, never again. Somethings are best left to the pros in NC. :beer:

justbob
06-10-2010, 05:08 PM
A few weeks!!!!!! Crap! I'll be there tomorrow.

gdmjoe
06-10-2010, 05:54 PM
thathotrodlincn - I think it is available at the anorth Carolina ABC stores - at least it used to be.
Carolina Lightning ( distilled in TN ) and Georgia Moon are available at the NC ABCs. *Check the web site.

Of the store bought, I preferred the Carolina Lightning ( smoother ), however, the ABCs didn't always have it in stock. So ... There was ALWAYS Georgia Moon ( OK, but had a different taste ).

For Xmas a few years back bought 2 cases of Carolina Lightning to give to my Yankee relatives / friends ( ABC gave me some paperwork just in case I got stopped). Most couldn't acquire the taste for it. *Still have one bottle for special sippin' occasions.

HOWEVER ... NOTHING compared to the locals ( Garner / Panther Branch ) home brew. *Lived ½ mile from Johnston County - at the time the # 1 producer of illegal alcohol in the United States.

DAMN I miss NC ! :D

Am planning on refreshing my stock @ Marauderville VIII

Haggis
06-10-2010, 06:15 PM
The wife (Ladyhawke) picked me up a bottle of Junior Johnson's 'Midnight Moon' Carolina moonshine 80 proof; produced and bottled by Piedmont Distillers, Inc. Madison NC. On one of her family trips down that way about a year or so ago.

FordNut
06-10-2010, 06:30 PM
With an age of less than thirty days!

Bottled in a Mason jar, this is supposed to be reminiscent of moonshine (AKA corn likker, AKA white lightning, AKA white dog, AKA liver varnish), and it does a good job.

Other snobs who expect their whiskey to be aged might have turned up their nose upon seeing the less than 30 days old label.

Georgia Moon is clear, and upon twisting off the cap is a potent tang of sour liquor, followed by the smell of sweet corn.

Producer: Heaven Hill Distilleries Inc - www.heaven-hill.com (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:Popup%28%27http://www.heaven-hill.com%27,%20%27producer%27, %20800,%20600,%201%29;)
ABV: 40%
Country of Origin: USA

I tried this stuff one time, never again. Somethings are best left to the pros in NC. :beer:

The wife (Ladyhawke) picked me up a bottle of Junior Johnson's 'Midnight Moon' Carolina moonshine 80 proof; produced and bottled by Piedmont Distillers, Inc. Madison NC. On one of her family trips down that way about a year or so ago.

Carolina Lightning ( distilled in TN ) and Georgia Moon are available at the NC ABCs. *Check the web site.

Of the store bought, I preferred the Carolina Lightning ( smoother ), however, the ABCs didn't always have it in stock. So ... There was ALWAYS Georgia Moon ( OK, but had a different taste ).

For Xmas a few years back bought 2 cases of Carolina Lightning to give to my Yankee relatives / friends ( ABC gave me some paperwork just in case I got stopped). Most couldn't acquire the taste for it. *Still have one bottle for special sippin' occasions.

HOWEVER ... NOTHING compared to the locals ( Garner / Panther Branch ) home brew. *Lived ½ mile from Johnston County - at the time the # 1 producer of illegal alcohol in the United States.

DAMN I miss NC ! :D

Am planning on refreshing my stock @ Marauderville VIII

I've also tried all of the commercially available brands. They're just not like the real thing. I'm hoping the Gatlinburg setup is more like what we're used to. They have the still setup for tours and demonstration, it's a genuine small batch setup, looks like something you'd find back in the woods. In the future they're going to make some flavored batches (cinnamon-apple pie).

Johnston county, eh? My stepdaughter lives in Selma.

Mr. Man
06-10-2010, 08:37 PM
and?...is it any good?

Haggis
06-11-2010, 03:25 AM
and?...is it any good?

The bottle is still unopened, come on down and we will crack that sucka.

Vortex
06-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Heaven-Hill makes good stuff like Evan Williams, Eliza Craig and Henry McKenna. I wonder why they are making this basura?

thathotrodlincn
06-11-2010, 09:40 AM
I checked with the Dare County (NC) stores, they do have Georgia Moon in stock if anyone is interested.:banana:

PurdueRifleman
06-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I see a trip to TN in the near future!

Mr. Man
06-11-2010, 09:10 PM
The bottle is still unopened, come on down and we will crack that sucka.
Next BBQ.

I had shine once. My grandfather had some. Don't know if it was good or bad but I do remember saying to him it was "Smooooooooth" in my vain attempt not to choke out.

GAMike
06-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Gatlinburg, the site of the next Marauderville. :beer:

Yea Come On:D:seesaw::drive: