PDA

View Full Version : Obama Pledges $400 Million In New Aid to Palestinians

ctrlraven
06-11-2010, 06:47 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/world/middleeast/10prexy.html

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:
^That's all I have to say about this.

WASHINGTON — President Obama (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/o/barack_obama/index.html?inline=nyt-per) urged the Israeli government to loosen its blockade of Gaza (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/gaza_strip/index.html?inline=nyt-geo) on Wednesday, as the United States continued to scramble to find a way out of the stalemate in the Middle East and address the outcry over Israel’s deadly raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/f/free_gaza_movement/index.html?inline=nyt-org) last week.

Mr. Obama, meeting with the Palestinian (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/p/palestinians/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) president, Mahmoud Abbas (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/a/mahmoud_abbas/index.html?inline=nyt-per), at the White House, also promised a $400 million aid package for the West Bank (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/west_bank/index.html?inline=nyt-geo) and Gaza, though only about $70 million represented a new commitment. White House officials said the money would be spent on housing, schools, efforts to provide access to drinking water and other health and infrastructure projects.

The details of how the aid would be used in Gaza remained unclear. Nor was it immediately clear how Mr. Abbas, who has authority in the West Bank but not in Gaza, would be able to administer it.

Gaza has faced an Israeli and Egyptian blockade since 2007. An Israeli raid that thwarted a Turkish-led flotilla carrying aid and activists toward Gaza last week intensified international protests over the blockade, which Mr. Obama has called “unsustainable.” Israel contends that the blockade is necessary to prevent the smuggling of arms to Hamas (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/h/hamas/index.html?inline=nyt-org), the militant Islamist organization that governs Gaza and opposes Israel’s existence.

Administration officials and their European allies have been pressing the Israeli government to partly lift the blockade to allow a freer flow of nonmilitary goods.

“We, and I think President Abbas agrees with this, recognize that Israel should not have missiles flying out of Gaza into its territories,” Mr. Obama said Wednesday. “And so there should be a means by which we are able to stop the flow of arms that could endanger Israel’s security.”

“At the same time,” the president added, “we’re doing so in a way that allows the people in Gaza to live out their aspirations and their dreams both for themselves and their children. And that’s something that we’re going to spend a lot of time focusing on, and we’ve already begun some hardheaded discussions with the Israelis in achieving that.”

Mr. Obama said that “there should be some ways of focusing narrowly on arms shipments rather than focusing in a blanket way on stopping everything and then, in a piecemeal way, allowing things into Gaza.”

In the past few days, Israel has added juice and preserves to the basic supplies it allows into Gaza but has denied that this signaled any change in policy as a result of international pressure. An Israeli security official, speaking on the condition of anonymity under army rules, said the broadening of the list of supplies was “the continuation of a process” that had been going on for months.

International organizations working in Gaza have warned of growing hardship. Deprived of raw materials, local industry has been severely damaged, and the Gaza economy has collapsed.

“It is not enough to permit Gaza residents to purchase Israeli-made cookies,” Gisha, an advocacy group that focuses on freedom of movement for Palestinians, said in a statement on Wednesday. “Israel should stop banning raw materials such as industrial margarine and glucose, so that Gaza residents can produce their own cookies and restart the economy that has been paralyzed for three years.”

Mr. Obama is trying to steer Palestinians back to the negotiating table with Israelis, while at the same time trying to persuade Israelis that the United States and his administration have Israel’s best interests at heart.

Many Israelis blame Mr. Obama for Mr. Abbas’s refusal so far to engage in direct negotiations. When Mr. Obama demanded last year that Israel freeze construction of settlements in the West Bank, a demand that Israel refused, many Palestinian officials said afterward that they could not go ahead with direct negotiations. But in the past, Palestinians had often entered direct negotiations with Israel absent such a freeze.

Mr. Abbas is still seeking some sort of gesture, either from the Americans or from the Israelis, administration officials said, before he will enter direct negotiations.

“The Palestinian position is that we’ve been engaged with Mitchell,” said Ghaith al-Omari, a former negotiator with the Palestinian Authority (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/p/palestinian_authority/index.html?inline=nyt-org), referring to Mr. Obama’s Middle East envoy, George J. Mitchell (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/george_j_mitchell/index.html?inline=nyt-per). “We’ve given position papers to Mitchell. We don’t have a problem with moving to direct talks, but before that the Israelis have to present their positions to the administration.”

Israeli officials counter that they do not want to offer their positions before direct talks begin, because that would be akin to negotiating against themselves.

After Mr. Obama’s meeting with Mr. Abbas, the White House put out a statement that “the president has described the situation in Gaza as unsustainable, and it demands a significant change in strategy.”

The statement said that “while we work with our partners in the Palestinian Authority, Israel, Egypt and the international community to put such a strategy in place, these projects represent a down payment on the United States’ commitment to Palestinians in Gaza, who deserve a better life and expanded opportunities, and the chance to take part in building a viable, independent state of Palestine, together with those who live in the West Bank.”

guspech750
06-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Oh good. I was getting worried my tax dollars might go to something usefull.

CBT
06-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Makes sense, we already give Egypt and Israel hundreds of millions a year not to nuke each other off the planet, why not give hundreds of millions to everyone else around them.

babbage
06-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Oh good. I was getting worried my tax dollars might go to something usefull.

Um no technically you are wrong. Since we (America) doesn't have that money we have to borrow that $400 million. Your tax dollars really are just paying interest.

FordNut
06-11-2010, 09:25 AM
What's his middle name again? Any connections there?

kernie
06-11-2010, 10:30 AM
That must be it.

CBT
06-11-2010, 10:39 AM
May as well stack 400 million dollars in a pile and set it on fire, it will have about the same effect. Or affect, which ever one applies, you bunch of ******* spellchecking mother****ers. Whoa, I apologize for that outburst. I'm cranky and it's almost time to go home, I'm just a little tired and stuff.

CBT
06-11-2010, 10:43 AM
And also this article has me ticked off. To support Palestine is to support the PLO, and last I checked, they aren't exactly someone I'd like to see my tax dollars going to. We have crack whores with 7 baby daddys and lazy ****ers who dropped out of school and can't get a job now that could put 400 million dollars to better use here, in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Haggis
06-11-2010, 10:48 AM
And also this article has me ticked off. To support Palestine is to support the PLO, and last I checked, they aren't exactly someone I'd like to see my tax dollars going to. We have crack whores with 7 baby daddys and lazy ****ers who dropped out of school and can't get a job now that could put 400 million dollars to better use here, in the good ol' U.S. of A.

And isn't the PLO a recognized terriost organization by the US govt.?

CBT
06-11-2010, 10:56 AM
And isn't the PLO a recognized terriost organization by the US govt.?
There are so many groups listed and recognized as terrorist organizations it isn't funny. It also isn't funny that the majority of these organizations that the FBI calls terrorists organizations are in the USA. It seems like if you are in a group that supports the Constitution, you are a potential terrorist.

sailsmen
06-11-2010, 11:16 AM
A Nation's debt is it's measure of freedom for it is the shackle to slavery it imposes upon all it's subjects!

Public Debt to GDP

1988 - 40% 1998 - 36% 2008 - 40% 2010 67% Budgeted 2020 - 90%.

(Note: Budgeted is based on 4% annual growth, 4.5% unemployment and income tax going up starting at $135,000 in 2011 for the next 10 years.)

Debt in 2008 $5.8 Trillion and in 2010 $9.2 Trillion. Increase in Debt since 2008 enough to payoff 33% of the home mortgages in the USA. Drive around knowing that in less than 2 years the debt has increased enough to payoff the mortgage on every third house and also that every other house does not pay income tax. Increase in debt Budgeted for 2020 enough to payoff every home mortgage plus a $7,000 bonus for every person!

"Exhibit a is the fact that under the Obama administration’s current fiscal plans, the national debt in the US (on a gross basis) will climb to above 100pc of GDP by 2015 – a far steeper increase than almost any other country.
Another issue is that, according to the IMF, the cost of extra healthcare and pensions will increase by a further 5.8pc over the next 20 years. This is the biggest increase of any other country in the G20 apart from Russia
America is not Greece, but if it does not start making efforts to cut the deficit within a few years, it will head in that direction. The upshot wouldn’t be an IMF bail-out, but a collapse in the dollar and possible hyperinflation in the US..."
"That figure would equal 90 percent of the estimated gross domestic product in 2020, up from 40 percent at the end of fiscal 2008. By comparison, America's debt-to-GDP ratio peaked at 109 percent at the end of World War II, while the ratio for economically troubled Greece hit 115 percent last year.WASHINGTON TIMES"
"That level of debt is extremely problematic, particularly given the upward debt path beyond the 10-year budget window," said Maya MacGuineas, president of the bipartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget.
"The proposed budget is woefully insufficient to achieve the president's goal or the important fiscal goal of stabilizing the debt at a reasonable level in the medium and long term," Ms. MacGuineas said.
For the 2016-20 period, CBO estimates that deficits will average more than 5 percent of GDP, even while assuming the economy will be near full employment, with an average jobless rate of 5 percent during that same five-year period. WASHINGTON TIMES
"Deficits in the, let's say, 5 percent of GDP range would lead to rising debt-to-GDP ratios in a manner that would ultimately not be sustainable," Mr. Orszag, the President's OMB Director, acknowledged to reporters on March 20, 2009, two months after the administration entered office.
D. Elmendorf, CBO Director, appointed by the current Congress, - In speaking about 2009 "Federal Debt held by the public will equal about 60% of GDP by the end of this fiscal year, the highest level since the early 1950's. As a result, further large deficits and increases in the debt will raise serious economic risks."
Per the CBO the 10 year Budget Baseline Debt to GDP is projected to be 67.5% and President Obama's Budget's Debt to GDP is projected to be 90% Debt to GDP.This is the result of President Obama's Budget increasing Debt an additional $3.8 Trillion. The $3.8 Trillion is from increased spending from the 2010 Fiscal year above and beyond the automatic annual increases.

For reference in 1988 the Debt to GDP was 40%, in 1998 36% and 2008 40%. After WWII over 14,000,000 dropped their uniforms and many donned hardhats to rebuild Europe and Japan. Defense spending including the War is 24%, down from the post WWII 50 year average of 35%. Point is the increased spending is entitlements which do not end.

Former Tres Sec Rubin, appointed by Pres Clinton, states - "The United States faces projected 10-year federal budget deficits that seriously threaten its bond market, exchange rate, economy, and the economic future of every American worker and family. " -"The commission also found that no economy anywhere in the world had been successful with largely state-directed activities and high walls against global integration.
The evidence, in other words, strongly suggests that a market-based model is still the best way forward. ", (Rubin wrote in NewsWeek, 12-29-09)

LIGHTNIN1
06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I have a feeling we know exactly where that money will go, to buy rockets to shoot at Israel. It will not be going to buy milk for the kids in Gaza or for landscaping in the area.

FordNut
06-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I have a feeling we know exactly where that money will go, to buy rockets to shoot at Israel. It will not be going to buy milk for the kids in Gaza or for landscaping in the area.

Yep, Obama has already let his feelings toward Israel be known. Now he's confirming it by arming their enemies.

Mr. Man
06-11-2010, 09:22 PM
With all the money the government hands out to everybody foreign and domestic, do you ever wonder why they can't just give every tax paying American 50 large to get the bill collectors off our backs and get the economy moving?

LIGHTNIN1
06-12-2010, 06:27 AM
With all the money the government hands out to everybody foreign and domestic, do you ever wonder why they can't just give every tax paying American 50 large to get the bill collectors off our backs and get the economy moving?

Yes. It would just be some of our money that was stolen from us. So how could that be a bad thing?:shake:

GAMike
06-12-2010, 08:28 AM
When you have a domestic catastrophe, the best way to divert attention from it, is to go stir up some new BS in another part of the world....... Hence Palestine- Israel, and the S v. N Korean situation........

JMHO- But the handling of the BP situation has him scrambling for a situation he can involve himself in, and spin it to his advantage to focus attention away from his failings. His strategists think this type of manuevering will take the edge off the blade of disgust that common sense Americans feel towards his performance to date....... In other words he's digging himself a deeper hole...... he has not proved he can make good decisions, and going up against the financial power of Jewish Americans and all that is controlled by them is just another illustration of that. Not saying I agree with giving Israel whatever they want or caving to the their lobbies either.......

No matter.....2012 comes, he will be gone....... He has proved that experience working the system is not even close to the experience needed to be President of these United States.:flag:

FordNut
06-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Yep, and the healthcare reform stuff is still gobbling him up too. Instead of "fixing" anything they just took government control and made things worse: a couple of immediate points are that 1) they never fixed the medicare reimbursement issue and now want another 20 billion or so for a temporary fix 2) the COBRA supplement just ran out so recently unemployed people have to pay the full premium 3) the costs of healthcare reform's new insurance requirements are putting a lot of people out of insurance altogether for the next 3 years since their bare-bones-but-better-than-nothing policies are no longer allowed by gov't mandate.

FordNut
06-12-2010, 08:59 AM
And immigration reform, too. All of a sudden the liberals are seeing that the majority of Americans don't agree with their agenda. Midterms will be interesting, but in another year BHO will begin his campaign for re-election in 2012. Wishful thinking!

Go2GuyFL
06-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Does Obama understand that providing "a way that allows the people in Gaza to live out their aspirations" would effectively accomplish the elimination of Israel altogther?

When Israel was declared a state in 1948, also the Palestinians under the leadership of Yassir Arafat declined declaration of the "State of Palestine. Since that day, they continue to live as refugees surrounded by 22 other Arab nations.

Obama needs to devise a plan engaging all Arabs with Israel to eliminite Hamas in order to achieve peace.

LIGHTNIN1
06-12-2010, 09:31 AM
You can give those people money or not give them money, the result is the same so I vote to not give them money. They always say it is for the kids when it always goes to the terroist and dictators. I say use it for us to buy bullets to eliminate terroist. Jimmy Carter has been kissing their rear for decades and look , things have really improved haven't they? Lefties always look at the intent but results don't matter. Kind of like whats going on in the Gulf.

vtwoodsman
06-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Ten plus years of continuous military engagement in Iraq and Afganistan, and all the world wide logistics to support our military missions has an enormous dollar sign. Now add, under the Homeland Security umbrella, those dollars. Ok...now add all those special "ear-marks" the US Congress hides from the taxpayer, then add the payrolls of the Federal Employees, the government infrastructure. I could go on and on ....!

Guess who's bankrolling our government spending ? Yep....good ol' Peoples Republic of China !!!!!!!! We owe the Commies' big time. They don't need to Nuke us...they just bought us out on the "free" market.

babbage
06-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Obama needs to devise a plan engaging all Arabs with Israel to eliminite Hamas in order to achieve peace.

I heard that Fatah is merging with Hamas. They will call it Fatass ;)

vtwoodsman
06-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Obama is an easy political target...but he's not the problem. The entire body of the U.S. Congress is the problem! They control the national budget, they control the direction of government.

We have 100 US Senators, and 435 House Representatives. You'd think the collective wisdom of Congress would prevail and the People of the US would be in good health financially and otherwise. Yet we're divided politically on the national front, and we constantly look for a single target to blame, ie. The President.
Sorry, but I don't buy into that way of thinking. I'm a registered Independent, and I've come to loath both the Democrat and Republican political party's. I say throw out ALL the bastards and start from scratch!

GAMike
06-12-2010, 10:17 AM
The promises Obama made on the campaign trail........ Change and transparency specifically are why he is in focus.

Obama worked the system to get into office in a major way..... Made promises to every special interest and ethnic group and has not kept many.

For example..:beatnik:I am Armenian...... He made promises to the Armenian Lobby to the effect that he would hold Turkey accountable for the Genocide of the Armenian people that preceeded the Holocaust (and has been proven to be the blueprint Hitler followed in WWII). He has had 3 opportunities since taking office to fulfull his promises, and has not only ignored the promise, in some cases made the situation worse.......

Now I know to most here, this is a minor historical issue, but my one of my grandfather and grandmother had to escape from this circumstance..... So its a big issue with me. Never mind that they came and contributed to this country being what it is today by building 2 businesses and employing hundreds of people (taxes) for 50+years.

If this situation was squashed at the turn of the century, who knows if Hitler would have committed the attrocities he did. So in my mind its important for history, to set the record straight....... So from a purely historical perspective, if Obama made promises such as these in order to get votes, he should have the decency to at least attempt to make good on his promise.

This is why he is the focus of wrath. I do agree with VT, but the chances of throwing em all out on their ear is remote unfortunately.

hamcheese
06-12-2010, 11:37 AM

Barry Soetoro

sailsmen
06-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Obama is an easy political target...but he's not the problem. The entire body of the U.S. Congress is the problem! They control the national budget, they control the direction of government.

We have 100 US Senators, and 435 House Representatives. You'd think the collective wisdom of Congress would prevail and the People of the US would be in good health financially and otherwise. Yet we're divided politically on the national front, and we constantly look for a single target to blame, ie. The President.
Sorry, but I don't buy into that way of thinking. I'm a registered Independent, and I've come to loath both the Democrat and Republican political party's. I say throw out ALL the bastards and start from scratch!

I agree that the Constitution places the monetary policy in the Congress, however the President can and does submit a Budget. The President can veto Congress Budget and Congress can over rule the President's veto.

This is 100% President Obama's Budget that was endorsed by Congresswoman Pelosi and Senator Reid. Not one Repulcan voted for budgeting our complete financial collapse. Our window to avoid what President Obama, Congresswoman Pelosi and Senator Reid have BUDGETED as in planned for is months not years.

Per the CBO the 2009 Budget carried out 10 years including the Baseline increases put's our Debt to GDP at 56%, below the 60% danger threeshold.
The fact is the Budgeted 90% Debt to GDP above the 56% Baseline is solely from increases in descretionary spending.

All the Budget and GDP figures I use are straight from the CBO, you can down load the spread sheets, for consistancy.

A Nation's debt is it's measure of freedom for it is the shackle to slavery it imposes upon all it's subjects!

Public Debt to GDP

1988 - 40% 1998 - 36% 2008 - 40% 2010 67% Budgeted 2020 - 90%.

(Note: Budgeted is based on 4% annual growth, 4.5% unemployment and income tax going up starting at $135,000 in 2011 for the next 10 years.)

Debt in 2008 $5.8 Trillion and in 2010 $9.2 Trillion. Increase in Debt since 2008 enough to payoff 33% of the home mortgages in the USA. Drive around knowing that in less than 2 years the debt has increased enough to payoff the mortgage on every third house and also that every other house does not pay income tax. Increase in debt Budgeted for 2020 enough to payoff every home mortgage plus a $7,000 bonus for every person!

"Exhibit a is the fact that under the Obama administration’s current fiscal plans, the national debt in the US (on a gross basis) will climb to above 100pc of GDP by 2015 – a far steeper increase than almost any other country.
Another issue is that, according to the IMF, the cost of extra healthcare and pensions will increase by a further 5.8pc over the next 20 years. This is the biggest increase of any other country in the G20 apart from Russia
America is not Greece, but if it does not start making efforts to cut the deficit within a few years, it will head in that direction. The upshot wouldn’t be an IMF bail-out, but a collapse in the dollar and possible hyperinflation in the US..."
"That figure would equal 90 percent of the estimated gross domestic product in 2020, up from 40 percent at the end of fiscal 2008. By comparison, America's debt-to-GDP ratio peaked at 109 percent at the end of World War II, while the ratio for economically troubled Greece hit 115 percent last year.WASHINGTON TIMES"
"That level of debt is extremely problematic, particularly given the upward debt path beyond the 10-year budget window," said Maya MacGuineas, president of the bipartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget.
"The proposed budget is woefully insufficient to achieve the president's goal or the important fiscal goal of stabilizing the debt at a reasonable level in the medium and long term," Ms. MacGuineas said.
For the 2016-20 period, CBO estimates that deficits will average more than 5 percent of GDP, even while assuming the economy will be near full employment, with an average jobless rate of 5 percent during that same five-year period. WASHINGTON TIMES
"Deficits in the, let's say, 5 percent of GDP range would lead to rising debt-to-GDP ratios in a manner that would ultimately not be sustainable," Mr. Orszag, the President Obama's OMB Director, acknowledged to reporters on March 20, 2009, two months after the administration entered office.
D. Elmendorf, a Democrat, CBO Director, appointed by Sen Reid & Cong Pelosi, - In speaking about 2009 "Federal Debt held by the public will equal about 60% of GDP by the end of this fiscal year, the highest level since the early 1950's. As a result, further large deficits and increases in the debt will raise serious economic risks."
Per the CBO the 10 year Budget Baseline Debt to GDP is projected to be 67.5% and President Obama's Budget's Debt to GDP is projected to be 90% Debt to GDP.This is the result of President Obama's Budget increasing Debt an additional $3.8 Trillion. The $3.8 Trillion is from increased spending from the 2010 Fiscal year above and beyond the automatic annual increases.

For reference in 1988 the Debt to GDP was 40%, in 1998 36% and 2008 40%. After WWII over 14,000,000 dropped their uniforms and many donned hardhats to rebuild Europe and Japan. Defense spending including the War is 24%, down from the post WWII 50 year average of 35%. Point is the increased spending is entitlements which do not end.

Former Tres Sec Rubin, a Democrat, appointed by Pres Clinton, states - "The United States faces projected 10-year federal budget deficits that seriously threaten its bond market, exchange rate, economy, and the economic future of every American worker and family. " -"The commission also found that no economy anywhere in the world had been successful with largely state-directed activities and high walls against global integration.
The evidence, in other words, strongly suggests that a market-based model is still the best way forward. ", (Rubin wrote in NewsWeek, 12-29-09)

Mr. Man
06-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Yes. It would just be some of our money that was stolen from us. So how could that be a bad thing?:shake:
Actually the money wasn't stolen from us at all. It's mostly borrowed from other places. So if their in the mood to borrow and spend I say give me a chunk of it.

sailsmen
06-12-2010, 01:24 PM
They are borrowing againest your future earnings. There is no plan I repeat no plan to pay off the principal. The Budget in 2020 the interest alone is close to what is Budgeted to spend on the entire Defense of our Country.
For every $1 the Gov't borrows it crowds out a third of a $1 in private capital eliminating growth. Gov't cannot produce wealth, it can only redistribute wealth charging an administrative fee in the process, thereby reducing total wealth.

Many are coming to the conclusion we are past the point of monitization via inlfation to pay off the debt. That we are headed for deflation, as in a Great Depression. This GD could start as early as 2011. I hope they are wrong. What is certain is our current Gov't at the direction of President Obama has Budgeted our complete financial collapse. Greece is the window to our future.

All that is required is to go back to the 2009 Budget with the base line increases. Not that draconian.

LIGHTNIN1
06-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Actually the money wasn't stolen from us at all. It's mostly borrowed from other places. So if their in the mood to borrow and spend I say give me a chunk of it.

You are correct Mr. Man. What I was referring to are the taxes I have paid in since I was 14 yrs. old. I figure if they took them and squandered them like I say they have that they were stolen. But yes they are borrowing trillions.
I have heard that in the big circles of important people that no one believes that the debt CAN be paid off, that it is no longer talked about. The big boys think we have passed the point of no return.
Pass the Tennessee Shine.:snoopy:

CWright
06-14-2010, 04:26 PM
America is definately being backed into a corner, meaning We the People. I know us as Americans will not put up with but for so long. Voting them all out will be a start. I believe that we can rise again and become the country we were created to be. Free! Although it has its place, I refuse to believe that government is the answer to all our problems. We have all seen what gov't can do and that most of our Rep's live in a fantasy world. I am looking forward to this fall and seeing changes take place to put back on the right track. Someone is going to rise up out of this and become the next great leader. Who, I don't know. We can turn this GREAT NATION around and take HER BACK! We are AMERICA! We have been the light in this world and the world will look to us to lead back to prosperity once again! AMERICAN PRIDE WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!:flag:

sailsmen
06-14-2010, 04:55 PM
You are correct Mr. Man. What I was referring to are the taxes I have paid in since I was 14 yrs. old. I figure if they took them and squandered them like I say they have that they were stolen. But yes they are borrowing trillions.
I have heard that in the big circles of important people that no one believes that the debt CAN be paid off, that it is no longer talked about. The big boys think we have passed the point of no return.
Pass the Tennessee Shine.:snoopy:

It was stolen, look at your most recent SS statement, it says you will only get 76% of benefits, puting you in a negative from the money you put in. IF I get 100% of the SS benefits it is a 2% return.

Bigdogjim
06-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Our Goverment spends $3.00 for every $2.00 it collects. There is your problem:)

1 Bad Merc
06-14-2010, 06:06 PM
If you want to eliminate the debt and lower social security costs then get rid of Nafta and put a tariff tax on all the goods that are now presently imported. You dont have to get crazy, maybe a dime/quarter on every good that arrives here in the US. Big companies/ Nations will scream but so what-they need our markets or they will have nowhere to sell their things. This way if you buy the goods you actually pay a tax -if you dont buy anything you dont pay anything. This is not a novel idea.

Do some research and look how Britain went from a strategic power to a 2nd tier country in the late 1800's/early 1900's. This is the time period where they adopted total free market policies and they lost their industrial base and gave away their country. Free market policies only work when everyone follows and obeys the same rules....which our trading partners never do and then we wonder why we lost our steel industry, tv industry, car industry, etc., etc.

This is not rocket science but our politicians dont want to do things the hard way for fear they will be out of their main jobs - as politicians.

Just my .02 :0)

4play
06-14-2010, 07:12 PM
your president http://i48.tinypic.com/2zzrrrb.jpg

our prime minister http://i46.tinypic.com/33cxfsp.jpg

does'nt that explain the world we live in?

sailsmen
06-14-2010, 08:41 PM
.............................. ............................. Free market policies only work when everyone follows and obeys the same rules....which our trading partners never do and then we wonder why we lost our steel industry, tv industry, car industry, etc., etc.

This is not rocket science but our politicians dont want to do things the hard way for fear they will be out of their main jobs - as politicians.

Just my .02 :0)

We lost these industries due to workers in other areas rising up from their mud holes and conquering what is required to sustain themselves enabling them to also perform the same tasks as the workers in the USA at a much lower wage. This enables our workers to purchase goods they could never afford if they were made in the USA, for instance this computer I am typing this on.

Either the USA worker obtains skills to perform tasks the recent mud hole dweller cannot perform or the USA worker must also live in the mud hole.

I lived in England and what happened was the Empire bought raw materials from the Colonies at depressed prices, mfg into goods and sold the finished products back to the Colonies at inflated prices. This enabled the English worker to live quite a plush lifestyle losing their work ethic.

A man I worked for was a waste gunner in a bomber during WWII stationed in the UK. The base was still under construction when the squadron arrived. They were trying to get operational and were sleeping outside waiting for the barracks to be painted. They got tired of waiting on the painters and over the weekend when the painters had left painted it themselves.

The painters arrived Monday filed a formal complaint. The base Commander was required to have the entire squadron stand at attention while he apologized to the painters. Keep in mind your country is being bombed, you got your rear kicked at Dunkirk and you are losing the war. Young men travelled all the way from the USA, a great distance at that time to risk their lives to save your country and you are only working 2-3 hours a day to paint 5 days a week holding up their operations!

babbage
06-15-2010, 07:15 AM
sailsmen for president