PDA

View Full Version : Neal Parker Dead. Alcohol Funny Car Accident

Egon Spengler
06-14-2010, 08:33 AM
http://www.nhra.com/story/2010/6/11/accident-claims-life-of-alcohol-funny-car-competitor-in-englishtown/

Neal Parker, 58m died on Friday during qualifying at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ.

I went to Englishtown last year in between the two deaths at that track. The other one of course being Scott Kalitta two years ago.

Having been to Raceway Park and also seeing him run at New England Dragway, this is sad news. Raceway Park has a black cloud over that shut down area!

RIP Neal Parker

FordNut
06-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Very sad.
For his family & friends.
For the track (black cloud).
For the fans and the sport (hope they don't cut the pro classess down to 1/8 mile).

Egon Spengler
06-14-2010, 08:59 AM
For the fans and the sport (hope they don't cut the pro classess down to 1/8 mile).
Unfortunately, doesn't seem all that unrealistic. That would take away from the sport greatly. Just hope there is a way to keep it entertaining and keep the drivers safe at the same time! Driver safety is obviously the number 1 concern!

Truly is a sad day and spooky for that track! Hopefully Kalitta and Parker will be watching over the end of the track protecting the other drivers!

mcb26
06-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Sad news,
They need a longer shutdown area, During Pro Bike qualifying some of them had a hard time staying out of the sand.

Egon Spengler
06-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Sad news,
They need a longer shutdown area, During Pro Bike qualifying some of them had a hard time staying out of the sand.
Unfortunately, that park is maxed out. There is a road that the sand trap goes right up to. Cannot extend any farther without effecting that public road. There is plenty of land behind the starting line. but that would take some very expensive restructuring to extend the track back seeing as how the building is built over the area!

Pat
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Speed limiters, shorter track, fuel type restrictions, horsepower limits, capture nets - lot's of things can be implemented to keep the drag cars from over coming the barriers.

Maybe even a combination.

It's more interesting for me to watch drag cars go 10 plus seconds in a quarter mile than to watch one go 4 minus seconds.

Egon Spengler
06-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Speed limiters, shorter track, fuel type restrictions, horsepower limits, capture nets - lot's of things can be implemented to keep the drag cars from over coming the barriers.

Maybe even a combination.

It's more interesting for me to watch drag cars go 10 plus seconds in a quarter mile than to watch one go 4 minus seconds.
It is incredible to see in person though! Those things just leave you totally awestruck! I went last year after having not been to one in a while and the first alcohol run my jaw was on the ground. Totally forgot how it felt. My buddy came with us for his first time and he just looked at my dad and I and said "What... the... f***...?" He loved it and couldn't believe it!

I just hope they can find away without taking the fun out of it. That track is just cramped at the end with Pension Road running perpendicular to the track direction.

Paul T. Casey
06-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Are the alky guys down to 1000'? If not, I'm sure this will push them that way.

Egon Spengler
06-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Are the alky guys down to 1000'? If not, I'm sure this will push them that way.
I believe they already are at 1,000'... I am not positive about that though! I could be wrong!