PDA

View Full Version : Longest lasting tires?

Crown Vicman
07-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Anyone know which brand has the longest lasting tires? I've been using bf goodrich but they only last a year. I know thats pretty good but I wouldn't mine finding some that can take it even further. Thanks

Ralph Sr.
07-08-2010, 05:36 PM
most of time the tread rating numbers will tell you which tire will last, the longest !! example my 2007 corvette/z06 has goodyear rating about 200. they are nice and soft and stick like glue !! they won't last 10,000 miles.?.years ago i had a set of michelins on my daily driver,tread wear was like 600 !! i was braging how many miles over 50,000 miles, and still looking great.. then ran into a storm, ice/snow climbing a mountain on interstate, very very bad !! hard tires, never again..

gdmjoe
07-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Crown Vicman
Have a look at the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT.

http://www.gdmjoe.com/gforcekdw.jpg

Pros Excellent dry AND wet traction.
Great tread life.Cons a bit pricey. *Though not too bad
tread pattern makes for road noise. *You get use to it.
Forget about driving in the snow with them. *However, given that you're in Alabama ...Have a set of 255/45x18's - REALLY like 'em. *But then, I don't drive the Crown Vic' in the winter.

duhtroll
07-08-2010, 06:00 PM
I'd say the fronts last longer than the rears, in my experience.

:D

fastblackmerc
07-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Hankooks - 420 wear rating.

Just remember the wear rating is how the manufacturer views the wear.

Treadwear Grade Number

The Treadwear Grade describes how a tire manufacturer views the wear of a given tire. In theory, this means that a tire with a 200 grade will wear twice as long as a tire with a 100 grade. However, tire manufacturers are not under any obligation to grade a tire based on the test results, except to say that they can not overstate the grade. This is enforced by NHTSA requiring documentation to justify any assignment of a grade on a tire.

Please note: As Course Monitoring Tires have changed, their treadwear grades have changed to numbers considerably higher than 100. As a result, it would be incorrect to say that a tire with a treadwear grade of 200 gets twice the life of the Course Monitoring Tire.

Limitations

Notice that the treadwear grade is a ratio and not a mileage. This is because there are a lot of factors that determine treadwear rates and most of them are a function of driving conditions and operating environment, and not the tire itself. As a result, actual tire wear will vary considerably within the same tire line. The phrase "Your mileage may vary" applies here.

The assigning of UTQG grades is done solely by the tire manufacturer. In many cases, this has resulted in the UTQG grading system to be more of a marketing tool than was originally intended.

It is legal and permissible for a tire manufacturer to give a particular tire line a lower treadwear grade. For example: If the highest treadwear grade in a manufacturer's line up is 600, then a tire line with a lower treadwear test result might receive a grade of 400, instead of the 480 it could possibly receive.

Also, it is common for tires whose treadwear grade is of little commercial value, such as "DOT" racing tires, to be assigned extremely low values - sometimes even zero.

FordNut
07-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Nitto 555.

MMBLUE
07-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Anyone know which brand has the longest lasting tires? I've been using bf goodrich but they only last a year. I know thats pretty good but I wouldn't mine finding some that can take it even further. Thanks

I got 37K on the BFG's up front. And 35K with NEXAN's in the rear.

GAMike
07-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Have a look at the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT.

http://www.gdmjoe.com/gforcekdw.jpg

Pros

Excellent dry AND wet traction.
Great tread life.
Cons

a bit pricey. *Though not too bad
tread pattern makes for road noise. *You get use to it.
Forget about driving in the snow with them. *However, given that you're in Alabama ...
Have a set of 255/45x18's - REALLY like 'em. *But then, I don't drive the Crown Vic' in the winter.
I drove one 5 day period (visited MA in January) with these, and thought they handled the snow pretty well..... Might be a different story if I was riding em all winter, but thought they worked ok at the time.:o

Nitto 555.

Good tires. The only thing I don't care for in these is the sidewall flexing (think its a Nitto trait as I ran the 420's on my black car and they had more pronounced sidewall flex than the 555's), but I agree with Brian........ They do last in comparrison to BFG's.

Cobra25
07-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Nitto 555 .

CWright
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I drove one 5 day period (visited MA in January) with these, and thought they handled the snow pretty well..... Might be a different story if I was riding em all winter, but thought they worked ok at the time.:o

Good tires. The only thing I don't care for in these is the sidewall flexing (think its a Nitto trait as I ran the 420's on my black car and they had more pronounced sidewall flex than the 555's), but I agree with Brian........ They do last in comparrison to BFG's.

I've seen you drive. No rear set will last over 7k. :P:D

Mr. Man
07-08-2010, 08:14 PM
If your looking for max mileage your going to want to get a harder tire. Tire Rack has all-season tires that should fit our cars (touring). Just don't drive the car the same way you do with the softer compounds.

FordNut
07-08-2010, 08:31 PM

555 is good and stiff, the 420's don't compare.

These will:

Nitto 555.

Nitto 555 .
BTW, I had the 555 street tires on my car and turned 11.65 in the 1/4

ntd
07-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I had BFG's that were crap, then Nitto 555 on the stock rims and now Nitto 555 295's on the widened rims they wear great and traction is great. Inferior tires will wear fast due to the aggressive alignment angles of the MM and due to how most of us drive:D.

Bluerauder
07-09-2010, 04:09 AM
I'd say the fronts last longer than the rears, in my experience.

:D

At about a ratio of 2-to-1 in my experience. :D

I consistently get 36K from the fronts (on my 3rd set now). Closer to 20K on the rears. That's with OEM BFGs all around. Looking to get only 15K on the GoodYear Eagle F1s on the rear.

DOOM
07-09-2010, 05:15 AM
Don't ask me that question! :D :burnout:

GAMike
07-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Good thing we got a "Hook Up":banana2: Darryl Aka; THE SOURCE!

555 is good and stiff, the 420's don't compare.
Brian- Just put a new set on the rear..... Have adjusted the Air a couple times, but there is still a little flex....

Had to get a about 1,000 miles on em (with more than a few hard launches) before I could drive with "confidence" if ya get my meaning:beer:. Yea... The 420's to me were awful..

GAMike
07-09-2010, 06:34 AM
BTW - They are better now :-)

CWright
07-09-2010, 07:32 AM
BTW - They are better now :-)

Big 10-4 on Darryl. Glad they are working out better. Broken in now!:D

Go2GuyFL
07-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Are we talking Crown Vic or Marauder? On our '99 CV & GM, we ran Michelin HydroEdge. Got some crazy mileage like 70K out of a set; however, that's Florida/Georgia miles. Bought them at Tire Kingdom with road hazard plan. Had to replace a few because all stores got a shipment of bad valve stems.

I've decided (after much research and some friendly advice) my next set will be:
- Continental ContiCrossContact UHP 235/50 R18 97V ... front
- Continental ContiCrossContact UHP 285/50 R18 109W ... rear

djv5150
07-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Nitto 555 The best tire I ever put on my car.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/102_0756.jpg

fastblackmerc
07-10-2010, 03:19 AM
Hankooks - 420 wear rating...

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/Tires/Hankook_RH06.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/Tires/IM000976.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/Tires/IM000977.jpg

Juice
07-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I have the new Nitto 850s. Love 'em.