PDA

View Full Version : Maybe... Got a job.

FordNut
07-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Got the offer letter today. I can't start until I get the security clearance. Maybe 30-90 days for the FBI to get that done.

ImpalaSlayer
07-09-2010, 05:44 PM
security clearance? fbi? what exactly will you be doing? but thats awesome!

FordNut
07-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Uranium enrichment. Requires a Q Clearance, DOE equivalent to a DOD Top Secret

LIGHTNIN1
07-09-2010, 05:47 PM
:woohoo: Sure hope it works out for you.

ImpalaSlayer
07-09-2010, 05:48 PM

wow i dont know what any of that means, but it sounds like you have alot more mods in your future

Ladyhawke
07-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Wow Brian sounds like a cool job. Congrats!

Chris & Gordon

MM03MOK
07-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Great news, Brian!!! :congrats:

fastblackmerc
07-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Congrats Brian!!

Keep track of that uranium!

W4LTD
07-09-2010, 06:04 PM

Not sure if I'm correct here, but don't they use enriched uranium to make nuclear weapons? :eek:

dohc324ci
07-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Sweet man! I wish you the best man.

thathotrodlincn
07-09-2010, 06:34 PM
I came from the nuclear industry - u gonna glow in the dark too? Anyway, hope it works out well.

FordNut
07-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Not sure if I'm correct here, but don't they use enriched uranium to make nuclear weapons? :eek:Yes, but there is enough HEU on hand already, actually the company has a division that downblends HEU from decommissioned weapons into LEU for power plants. The focus is on LEU for nuclear power plants, only 5-10% enrichment instead of the 90%+ preferred for weapons. Not sure about terminology, HEU for fuel in research reactors is 20% enrichment. HEU for weapons is usually 90%+, but 80% can be used. Seems like they should have different names for the two different grades of HEU (research reactor fuel vs weapons grade). I'm still learning about this stuff, just started researching the technology when I got the interview a month ago.

I came from the nuclear industry - u gonna glow in the dark too? Anyway, hope it works out well.
I've worked in some form of the nuclear industry since '83, starting with power plant equipment and moving into nuclear medicine. This is a new and exciting segment of the nuclear industry for me.

Yeah, glow in the dark... Too many people really believe that, must be from watching Homer Simpson.

Ms. Denmark
07-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Sounds like good news. Wishing you all the best in your new position!

MMBLUE
07-09-2010, 07:49 PM

Well not that hard if you got a secret already, be prepared to answer questions about your where abouts for the last ten years. Congrats.

FordNut
07-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Well not that hard if you got a secret already, be prepared to answer questions about your where abouts for the last ten years. Congrats.

Hope it won't be too hard. Had a secret in the Army, but that was '75-'78 so it's no longer active. If they only check the last 10 years, no problem. Same home for 25 years, commuted to out-of-state jobs for 7 years, international business travel to Canada, Mexico, Sweden, England. I dunno if they keep records on the background check for a CCW, maybe that will help speed things along too. The sooner I can go to work the better. Been unemployed 1 year as of July 31. Tier 2 unemployment extension runs out in about 6 weeks, can't go to tier 3 since Congress hasn't budgeted for it.

babbage
07-09-2010, 08:15 PM
cool. hope it works out. Think they'll review your posts here?!

FordNut
07-09-2010, 08:19 PM
cool. hope it works out. Think they'll review your posts here?!

I guess that's possible. If so, they've got lots of reading to do.

Mr. Man
07-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Great book by Peter Benchley (JAWS) called Q clearance. One of the funniest books I ever read. Worth the read if you can find a copy. Good luck on the new job.

Local Boy
07-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Right on Brian...

Glad to hear things are looking up...

Aloha

boatmangc
07-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Excellent Brian, hope it works out well!

FordNut
07-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Thanks, y'all...
I'm excited.
Not just to get a job, but because I love to learn new stuff and there's a lot to learn in this industry.
A new career direction, hopefully this one will provide job security 'til retirement.

Black Terror
07-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Great, maybe we will see more of you and your Marauder after you get settled into this.
Have missed seeing you on a monthly basis over past couple of years.

Marauderman
07-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Congrats there Brian--

One of my Tenants builds Nuclear Power Plants--Areva-- here at my site---they are some real heavy intellectual hitters them folks----probably more engineers I've ever seen in one building ever are there--buzzing around with drawings and words no one understands.....:lol:

GAMike
07-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Great, maybe we will see more of you and your Marauder after you get settled into this.
Have missed seeing you on a monthly basis over past couple of years.

+2 Good to soon have you back contributing to the American economy Brian:banana2::lol: Hopefully they will expedite clearing you.... I know the FBI does not do it all themselves anymore......... They use companies like Choicepoint and Equifax for alot of historical stuff, so it may be quicker. Again congrats:beer:

TAKEDOWN
07-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Good Luck Brian I hope you get it!

scruff
07-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Good news i hope it works out for ya B if not we have lots of work/heavy water here up north that works well in that industry a job in canada awaits you

LeoVampire
07-11-2010, 11:58 AM
You and I have not always seen eye to eye but I hope you manage to get the job non the less and things start looking better for you and life can get back to normal!

Good luck with everything! :beer:

Paul T. Casey
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Great news Brian. Don't sweat the Q, they even gave me one. :D

frdwrnch
07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Great news! Wish the best for 'ya.

frdwrnch
07-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Not sure if I'm correct here, but don't they use enriched uranium to make nuclear weapons? :eek:

Yeah but it makes great floor cleaner too!

FordNut
07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Great news Brian. Don't sweat the Q, they even gave me one. :D
I figured you had to have one for your job. Hope it doesn't take too long.

Great news! Wish the best for 'ya.
Thanks. Never would have figured I would be out of work a year. You read about it in the papers, people with a Master's degree can't find a job. I'm living it.

Yeah but it makes great floor cleaner too!
Been doing some research on the process, checking out the hazards... Seems that after breathing UF6 it takes about 2 days to kill you. Not from the radiation, but from the fluorine. It dissolves your lungs.

justbob
07-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Sounds quite scary Brian! Hope the best for you Man.

SC Cheesehead
07-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey, great news! Best wishes, keep us posted.

Oh, and maybe this means you'll be able to make MV8??? ;)-------:D

Mr. Man
07-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Been doing some research on the process, checking out the hazards... Seems that after breathing UF6 it takes about 2 days to kill you. Not from the radiation, but from the fluorine. It dissolves your lungs.[/QUOTE]

Same stuff in your tooth paste. No wonder it prevents cavities.

FordNut
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Hey, great news! Best wishes, keep us posted.

Oh, and maybe this means you'll be able to make MV8??? ;)-------:D

I'm planning on it.

FordNut
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Been doing some research on the process, checking out the hazards... Seems that after breathing UF6 it takes about 2 days to kill you. Not from the radiation, but from the fluorine. It dissolves your lungs.

Same stuff in your tooth paste. No wonder it prevents cavities.

Similar stuff. Fluoride is in tooth paste, it's based on the same fluorine element but in a different chemical form.

Paul T. Casey
07-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Clearence process is quite quick nowadays, compared to when I got my first one (the Q, I worked at a place that built core assemblies for the Navy). I get my people in on an L equivalent in about 2 weeks max. Everything about you is on a computer, so that's not such a holdup anymore. The biggest delay is the speed with which your references, and their further references reply to the requests they are given.

Juice
07-12-2010, 10:45 PM
My kind of crazy! :D