PDA

View Full Version : Historic vehicle

SWOOSH
07-17-2010, 03:52 PM
When exactly is a vehicle considered historic and what are the advantages/disadvantages of having historic tags?

thathotrodlincn
07-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Varies by state.

BUCKWHEAT
07-17-2010, 04:21 PM
I think its passage of time--25 years & you qualify. The historic plates are cheaper, but only allow you to go to shows, car events & get the car serviced. Amazing how much service you might need when driving on historic plates.

thathotrodlincn
07-17-2010, 04:42 PM
I think its passage of time--25 years & you qualify. The historic plates are cheaper, but only allow you to go to shows, car events & get the car serviced. Amazing how much service you might need when driving on historic plates.
As I stated, it varies by state. In North Carolina the threshold is 35 years. There is no (known to me) advantage in having an antique vehicle plate. It must be renewed each year at full cost. it provides no known perks. In Virginia, it is 25 years, and has a one time fee. It is permanent. However, there are restrictions as to vehicle useage. I have no specific information on other states.

Bluerauder
07-17-2010, 04:43 PM
When exactly is a vehicle considered historic and what are the advantages/disadvantages of having historic tags?

Here's the scoop for Maryland .... 20 years old, no substantial modifications, and cannot be used for daily use ... just for car shows, parades, club activities, etc.

Historic:

To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration. This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.
Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passenngers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

Joe Walsh
07-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Maryland used to be a 25 years old vehicle for "Historic" classification.
They changed it a few years ago to only 20 years old.
You also are exempt from emissions testing in Maryland....:D

fastblackmerc
07-17-2010, 05:39 PM
As I stated, it varies by state. In North Carolina the threshold is 35 years. There is no (known to me) advantage in having an antique vehicle plate. It must be renewed each year at full cost. it provides no known perks. In Virginia, it is 25 years, and has a one time fee. It is permanent. However, there are restrictions as to vehicle useage. I have no specific information on other states.

Plus in N.C. a historic vehicle needs no state emissions or safety inspection and you can put whatever license plate you want on the car, but must carry the state issued plate in the car at all times.

jgc61sr2002
07-17-2010, 05:55 PM
25 yrs old in New York State.
Registration was $23.00 per year and was just doubled.:(

Mr. Man
07-17-2010, 08:21 PM
25 years in NJ for QQ plates(historic). Limited use and with the QQ plate you can qualify for cheap insurance. Buddy of mine has a 65 Chevy p-up and pays like 150 bucks a year. In NJ 150 is really cheap insurance.

W4LTD
07-17-2010, 08:23 PM
30 years for Florida, one-time registration.

SWOOSH
07-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the input. Just wondering when the 20 year mark started, from build date or what?

fastblackmerc
07-18-2010, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the input. Just wondering when the 20 year mark started, from build date or what?

It's usually the year the car was built. Right now, at a minimum your car would have to be a 1980 model year to be a 20 year old historic vehicle. I've never heard of a state getting as granular as a build date.

Bluerauder
07-18-2010, 05:09 AM
In Maryland (where your car would be registered), the car has to be 20 model years old. So an '03 MM would qualify in 2023 and an '04 MM would qualify in 2024.

rayjay
07-18-2010, 05:23 AM
25 yrs old in New York State.
Registration was $23.00 per year and was just doubled.:(

Thank the great sight impaired one for that...

Also in NYS you can use a original license plate from that year.

a_d_a_m
07-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Some states (Ohio included) have "collector" plates which does not limit based on age, but on collectibility.

Ozark Marauder
07-18-2010, 08:59 AM
In Missouri you have to declare the value on the form vs. value in blue book assessed by the state, for historic plates, and therefore would effect the amount of personal property tax you will pay on the vehicle, assume it would in most all states....don't know, but might look into it before you declare it classic or historic.....

Big Black Beast
07-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Here, you can only use them for car shows and such. They recently offered "nostalgia" plates, but for any car and they cost extra!!! I'll stick with my ugly "free" plates. Anything for a buck, I guess...