PDA

View Full Version : Watch out Traveling through Georgia in August

CWright
07-23-2010, 07:14 AM
This was sent to me yesterday.

Dateline: AJC 07/19/2010

Starting Aug 1, Georgia will launch a 30 day speeding ticket frenzy. The state estimates that 9 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 1 million will go to pay state troopers' overtime. The rest to help with dwindling budgets. There will be 50 state troopers on duty at all times patrolling the 7 main intersections and highways. They are the following:

I-20 east and west
I-75 north and south
I-85 north and south
I-675 north and south
GA-985 north and south
GA-316 east and west
GA-400 north and south

5 mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every state trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 to 20 minutes. They have issued 30 brand new unmarked Dodge Charger Police cruisers and are bringing in all of their part timers on full time. If you work in the Atlanta area, you will probably take one of these highways. It's up to you how fast you are going when they clock you.
WSB and WXIA & CBS confirmed all of this. So be safe and don't forget speeding tickets are on you.

Look for city and county governments to adopt similar polices in the near future.

Marauderman
07-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Chris--- a quote from your post above is below----

"It's up to you how fast you are going when they clock you."

----it confuses me?? What do you mean or what does that mean?-----thanks-

Egon Spengler
07-23-2010, 08:39 AM
That is some serious bull jive!

PonyUP
07-23-2010, 08:52 AM
I just got this post at work because some of my locations have vehicle leases. So I sent it out with an added moniker

Speeding tickets are your own responsibility.

I think they may be starting early too, I say 8 cops on my way back from Alabama last night

Glenn
07-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks Chris, I personally travel these roads regularly and I was not even aware of the speeding program in August. The problem as you know is that EVERYONE exceeds the speed limit on these road by at least 15 mph. Slowing traffic by this much will really cause traffic jams in Atlanta.

Glenn

CWright
07-23-2010, 09:04 AM
We headed down to Florida last Thursday and at exit 288 headed south there was a State Trooper sitting on the bridge. On the southbound on ramp there were atleast 8 or 9 sitting ready to go and we counted another 13 that had people pulled over within the next mile and a half. They even had their "Mobile command Unit" sitting there for the officers. They are in full force and I also think they got an early start. Georgia local municipalities give 10 over according to the law. But troopers don't have to give but 1 over. Either way I am cool with them doing this excercise. I just wanted to give a warning to all coming through or already live around these parts.

So as Maruaderman pointed out.
It's up to you how fast you are going when they clock you."

rayjay
07-23-2010, 01:35 PM
You have part time Troopers??? Never heard of that before. :confused:

Cheeseheadbob
07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Are these "part-time" ticket writers also members of the exalted "Fire Police" as well? :shake:
They have issued 30 brand new unmarked Dodge Charger Police cruisers and are bringing in all of their part timers on full time..

PonyUP
07-23-2010, 01:51 PM
its just another money grabbing scheme, they blew their budget and now they are trying to make up for it. At least they are being honest and looking me in the face while screwing me

CWright
07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Due to budget cuts some of our newby troopers were put on part-time instead of being completely laid off right after being brought on board. I guess half of something comes out better than half of nothing. Looks like they will be paying for themselves over the month of August. I know all states are hurting right now. Glad to see these guys didn't get the full boot out the door.. BE ON THE LOOK OUT IF HEADED THIS WAY!:beer:

Mr. Man
07-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Out of state plates will surly not be given warnings.

Phrog_gunner
07-23-2010, 07:01 PM
This was sent to me yesterday.

Dateline: AJC 07/19/2010

Starting Aug 1, Georgia will launch a 30 day speeding ticket frenzy. The state estimates that 9 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 1 million will go to pay state troopers' overtime. The rest to help with dwindling budgets. There will be 50 state troopers on duty at all times patrolling the 7 main intersections and highways. They are the following:

I-20 east and west
I-75 north and south
I-85 north and south
I-675 north and south
GA-985 north and south
GA-316 east and west
GA-400 north and south

5 mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every state trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 to 20 minutes. They have issued 30 brand new unmarked Dodge Charger Police cruisers and are bringing in all of their part timers on full time. If you work in the Atlanta area, you will probably take one of these highways. It's up to you how fast you are going when they clock you.
WSB and WXIA & CBS confirmed all of this. So be safe and don't forget speeding tickets are on you.

Look for city and county governments to adopt similar polices in the near future.

I'm going to guess you heard about this in a chain mail?

http://www.ajc.com/news/another-urban-myth-georgia-577141.html

CWright
07-23-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm going to guess you heard about this in a chain mail?

http://www.ajc.com/news/another-urban-myth-georgia-577141.html

I did. And stand corrected! Thanks for clearing this up. I will let my source know. As far as the claim this guy made about unmarked chargers. He is wrong. I personally know of two right now in the Atlanta area. Captain Kanup is one of those. His actually just looks like an RT with factory chrome rims. But it is fully decked out with interior lights. The other trooper I don't know his name but have seen his car. Decked out the same way but with the 18" steelies and the hub covers. Both are black. One has a red/silver pinstripe and the other only has an orange pinstripe across rear side panel. Slick! Other than that he was pretty accurate on the rest. Anyway, Thanks for clearing this up for us! :beer:

GAMike
07-23-2010, 09:32 PM
:bigcry:Yup Chris.... GSP has plenty of unmarkeds........ The GSP and police who write tix on the Metro freeways, always claim its "just a rumor" because its very illegal for them to actually undertake a revenue generation excersise in GA...... But who's gonna stop em???? City of Roswell, GA actually got in hot water over a kpi (Key performance indicator) that their officers on graveyard shift, were to write 2 dui's every shift thereby using a quota system.

They too denied that this review point was a part of an officers quarterly reviews, until the pressure from the public and some exposed documents forced them to stop measuring officer performance this way...

Its the typical, say one thing, and do whatever you want mentality that exists in government today. When it spills over to law enforcement, and they due to budget cuts are forced to fund their ongoing operations, we as citizens have real problems (more than at the present time).........

They won't do this type of activity for a time, and then back to being a regular police officer......... Most will keep doing this and create a whole new set of conflicts of interests:beatnik: Police like easy money just like we do, and they are not so sure where it will come from in the future.:(

rayjay
07-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Due to budget cuts some of our newby troopers were put on part-time instead of being completely laid off right after being brought on board. I guess half of something comes out better than half of nothing. Looks like they will be paying for themselves over the month of August. I know all states are hurting right now. Glad to see these guys didn't get the full boot out the door.. BE ON THE LOOK OUT IF HEADED THIS WAY!:beer:

Interesting. All that money to train people and then take the chance they'll pack it in and go else where for FT employment. :shake:

LSp8
07-24-2010, 07:47 AM
The whole PT employment thing is bull_____ and it sucks that they have to be super speed nazis just to make ends meet. Looks like I'll let one of my freinds drive when I go down to GA because I can't do any more tickets. The whole quota thing is bull____ too. You can't properly judge an officer's performance simply on how much of a prick they can be to people; ie: 5 miles over!

GAMike
07-24-2010, 08:30 AM
The whole PT employment thing is bull_____ and it sucks that they have to be super speed nazis just to make ends meet. Looks like I'll let one of my freinds drive when I go down to GA because I can't do any more tickets. The whole quota thing is bull____ too. You can't properly judge an officer's performance simply on how much of a prick they can be to people; ie: 5 miles over!

Got to pick your spots down here....... Avoid some, slow down in others ect. There is plenty of info. on the internet speed watch sites about towns like Doraville, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Cobb County PD Gwinnett County & GSP just to name a few........

If you are informed about "the game" in GA & other states (Ohio is one big speed trap:rolleyes:) you are less likely to get caught up in it. If you go riding through an area unfamiliar to you, like you ride in the areas you know....... Then ya get what ya get.......

Not passing judgement here. I've gotten more than my share of tix.Just passing along some steps you might find valuable in preperation for your trip to/thru GA:burnout:.

Mac-MerC
07-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Got to pick your spots down here....... Avoid some, slow down in others ect. There is plenty of info. on the internet speed watch sites about towns like Doraville, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Cobb County PD Gwinnett County & GSP just to name a few......

I was thinking the same thing.. all of the north metro

MrBluGruv
07-24-2010, 03:03 PM
This is why I love having cruise control, as long as I know what the posted speed limit is I'll never be speeding. :) Unless of course I really mean to.... ;)

Marauderman
07-24-2010, 03:44 PM
After reading all this now--I get it and understand Christ--Thanks---I'll stay here--

Phrog_gunner
07-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Anyway, Thanks for clearing this up for us! :beer:

Who knows, maybe the one I posted was the faux link. :beer:

CWright
07-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Who knows, maybe the one I posted was the faux link. :beer:

Your post was correct. I just spoke to my cousin who works with Georgia State Patrol and he told me that email was false. There is NOT a speeders program going on. There is however, the 100 days of Summer HEAT still in effect which does target speeders. There is NO quota for them. They are targeting speeders along with aggressive drivers and seatbelt violations. I asked about the Captian being unmarked and he told me that a state trooper who's primary job is traffic has to be a marked vehicle. How ever, captain's do not since there primary job is not traffic. The captain can initiate a stop but a marked vehicle will come up as well. During the holiday seasons the captains have magnets they put on their cars to satisfy the law of being a "marked vehicle". So my original post was sent to me in an email so I copied and pasted with out verifying.. MY BAD to you all. I should have checked with my cousin to begin with. Stay safe out there!