PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Resurfacing...

Egon Spengler
07-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Can our rotors be resurfaced? If so, what is a price that a shop would charge for something like this? I bought pads and rotors and due to issues with my front right caliper sticking, I have trashed a rotor and set of pads on the driver's side front. I am in the process of purchasing pads from BlackOut and am looking to not spend too much seeing as how I bought these rotors not too long ago and would like to resurface in lieu of purchasing new if I can.

Any information the marauder family can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Here is what the rotor looks like on my driver's side! YIKES!
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs028.ash2/34757_462053852925_562932925_6 256450_6277008_n.jpg

Joe Walsh
07-23-2010, 07:43 AM
In my area there are fewer and fewer shops that want to turn rotors anymore.
New rotors are relatively cheap and turned rotors (being thinner) tend to warp quickly after re-installation in my experience.
If you do elect to turn your rotors, make SURE that the machininist 'mikes' the rotors before turning them to determine the
minimum amount of material that needs to be removed in order to 'clean them up'.
Some shops just set their machine to a standard amount of cut that will clean up even the worst rotors = too much material removed from decent rotors.

Egon Spengler
07-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I guess they would be more prone to warping. I may just price up new rotors. That side is sticking so I am going to do brake lines and if that doesn't do it, replace the calipers as well, then I will install the new pads and rotors. I want to make sure that the brakes will release before I trash another set of rotors and pads

Joe Walsh
07-23-2010, 08:06 AM
If you suspect a sticking caliper but all looks good with the caliper it might be smart to turn the existing rotor and let that be the "guinea pig".

fastblackmerc
07-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I guess they would be more prone to warping. I may just price up new rotors. That side is sticking so I am going to do brake lines and if that doesn't do it, replace the calipers as well, then I will install the new pads and rotors. I want to make sure that the brakes will release before I trash another set of rotors and pads

There is a minimum thickness stamped in the rotor somewhere, no shop will cut a rotor under that thickness.

I believe it's recommended that the Marauder rotors be machined while on the car.

Could be the brake hose collapsed internally and is keeping the pressure on. A more likely scenario is the caliper is sticking, You can either replace it or rebuild it. Either way, whatever you do to one side, I'd do to the other side.

Advance Auto Parts has a Wagner rotor for $84.99 or a Wearever for $49.99. Their reman calipers are $50.99 per side.

Egon Spengler
07-23-2010, 08:14 AM
If you suspect a sticking caliper but all looks good with the caliper it might be smart to turn the existing rotor and let that be the "guinea pig".
The brake line was kinked on that side due to a poor job done by the repair shop when I got into my accident. I am thinking the brake like is causing the sticking. If I replace the lines and still have excessive brake dust, I will be looking to the caliper for replacement. If the brake dust goes away with the replacement of either the lines and/or the calipers, I will then replace the rotors and pads. She stops for now, but I am keeping a close eye on them. Money is tight, so I am trying to space out repairs a bit!

20Marauder04
07-29-2010, 06:23 AM
If your going to machine them definately get them machined by an on car lathe . we just got the new procut 9.2 at my shop ($12,000) later and the machine is great . It not only gets rid of the runout the rotors have, it compensates for any runout on the hub, axle, etc.

Vortex
07-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Arent our rotors the same as a GM/CV? If so, they ought to be a dime a dozen at a salvage yard.

Egon Spengler
07-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Arent our rotors the same as a GM/CV? If so, they ought to be a dime a dozen at a salvage yard.
This is true! Good point!

CBT
07-29-2010, 07:11 AM
That pic is actually pretty cool, if it was centered it would be a great shot.

justbob
07-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Yes they are the same as a GM. I had my stockers turned at my local FLAPS for $13 each. They have held up flawlessly for a year now on ponyups old CV.

fastblackmerc
07-29-2010, 07:31 AM

Why buy used when new are relatively cheap?