PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ 01 Chevy Suburban

SID210SA
08-11-2010, 06:28 AM
I am having a little issue with my Suburban: It is a 5.3L. When coming to a stop my volts drop down to 12 from about 14 or so when moving...also when the volts drop the a/c stops blowing cold and my lights dim. I have a CB, Radar Detector and Satalite radio hard wired. This problem started a day after my last oil change at the dealership. I have changed out the alt and still had the same problem. I took it to O'Riely's and had the system checked. He did say I have a bad cell in the battery, but that the battery is 100% charged and is charging, and has plenty of CCa to get the vehicle started and that he thinks that is not the problem. I have had no trouble starting it and no problem when when under acceleration or coasting. When I have the vehicle in park and running there is a little bit of it running rough. No acceleration problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

fastblackmerc
08-11-2010, 06:56 AM
I am having a little issue with my Suburban: It is a 5.3L. When coming to a stop my volts drop down to 12 from about 14 or so when moving...also when the volts drop the a/c stops blowing cold and my lights dim. I have a CB, Radar Detector and Satalite radio hard wired. This problem started a day after my last oil change at the dealership. I have changed out the alt and still had the same problem. I took it to O'Riely's and had the system checked. He did say I have a bad cell in the battery, but that the battery is 100% charged and is charging, and has plenty of CCa to get the vehicle started and that he thinks that is not the problem. I have had no trouble starting it and no problem when when under acceleration or coasting. When I have the vehicle in park and running there is a little bit of it running rough. No acceleration problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

First, ditch the Chevy and get a Ford :-)

Really, it sounds like it might be a bad ground. Check all the battery connections.

I'd replace the battery, you'll never know when it will give out.

SID210SA
08-11-2010, 08:29 AM
I have a Ford....The Marauder :)

I have checked all my connections....no corrosion on battery or any cables....and all appear to be properly grounded and connected. Maybe it is the battery that is causing the problem...

I will await more input...

P.S. My Girlfriend want either a Marauder or SHO to replace her Impy:beer:

P.S.S. She loved Wes' SHO when we saw him last weekend

fastblackmerc
08-11-2010, 08:34 AM
I have a Ford....The Marauder :)

I have checked all my connections....no corrosion on battery or any cables....and all appear to be properly grounded and connected. Maybe it is the battery that is causing the problem...

I will await more input...

Swap the battery out of another car to test.

SID210SA
08-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Inexpensive solution....I like that.....Kind of glad it wasnt the alt. That thing cost about 200 bucks.

SID210SA
09-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Update: So my water pump was going...it was leaking from the weep hole...so I changed it out and got everything back together and it is now running with no volt drop or hesitation....could it be that the waterpump pulley was creating drag on the belt system that in turn caused my volts to drop? Well so far it has bee almost a week since I replaced the water pump and there have been no problems that I was having before replacing the water pump. HMMM...inquiring minds want to know...

Mike