PDA

View Full Version : Custom chips

flescher
12-02-2003, 04:26 PM
I wonder if anyone could give me some firsthand info. The issue is SPECIFICALLY what is the difference that you feel in the way the AODE transmission works when you change computer chips. I've talked to Dennis and the Fordchip folks. they all assure me that their chip makes the transmission more "drivable", but when I ask what that means I know there are a lot of hands that I can't see waving. No one seems to be able/willing to tell me what they mean by " more drivable". How about those of you who have replaced chips. What do you notice (besides gobs of HP)?
Harold

TAF
12-02-2003, 04:31 PM
The chip changes the shift points. They become more precise and firm the more throttle you give her. At WOT, mine feels like a manual transmission. At "normal" throttle position (i.e. daily driving) the tranny doesn't "hunt" for gears like the stock program.

Mike M
12-02-2003, 04:50 PM
I just took my Reinhart chip out yesterday (defective when cold-Dennis is replacing) and I drove my car lastnight for about 4 miles and all I can say is I WANT MY CHIP BACK!!!! It upshifts so early that it was in OD lockup before I got to the first corner in my 25mph development. The car feels so different (BAD) without my Reinhart chip.

Smokie
12-02-2003, 05:03 PM
flescher, Everything Todd said, I had Dennis reflash my PCM; I believe that is the equivalent of the chip he sells. That is all I have done to my car and I can confirm that the improvement in shifting is very real, it removes a softness that the car had from a dead start, if you stomp the throttle the shifts will be rock hard, if you go easy on the throttle the shifts will be firm, I don't know anything about HP since I have not have car dyno, The seat of the pants meter says to me there is more power, numbers I leave to experts. Gas mileage is the same in my case before and after 17 mpg all city--23 highway. Visit Dennis is well worth it.

Ross
12-03-2003, 08:01 AM
I can say the same thing about my Diablo chip. Shift points have changed, shifts are firmer.

RF Overlord
12-03-2003, 10:37 AM
^^^what TAF said. Exactly.^^^

With the chip, or an ECM re-flash as Smokie and I have done, the transmission no longer upshifts so early...it now shifts where it "should", for lack of a better word; the shifts just feel like they're occurring at the "right" time now, in addition to being firmer...plus, it delays engaging OD now until approx 40 MPH...I can't think how to describe it better except to reiterate:

^^^what TAF said^^^

TripleTransAm
12-03-2003, 10:42 AM
My OD comes on at about 38 mph... does 2 mph really make that much of a difference?

RF Overlord
12-03-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by TripleTransAm
My OD comes on at about 38 mph... does 2 mph really make that much of a difference?

/Steve:

Maybe the Canadian 300eh is different...when stock, mine would engage OD at some ridiculously low speed, like 25 MPH or thereabouts...and it was worse if driven lightly...now it won't engage until 40 no matter how it's being driven...

LincMercLover
12-03-2003, 12:53 PM
My OD used to come on at 35MPH exact with a "light pedal." I can say though I kinda miss that a bit because I usually do about that speed in and around neighborhoods, and it would be good for gas... but oh well... I still use the OD button a lot.

TripleTransAm
12-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Maybe it's a calibration thing... ie. BMD0, CRD0, CRD1, etc...

I know that owners of the mid 80s T/As complained of early engagement of the TCC on TPI-equipped cars. With all the low end torque of the TPI engine, I actually prefer the early engagement! It kicks in at around 23 mph at light throttle, in 3rd gear. There was a replacement calibration (chip) that was made available from GM that raised that to 35+. I am praying my chip never dies, lest I be unable to find the exact same calibration for my '87.

Since 4th gear is hydraulically controlled on that car, it's fixed at 38 mph no matter what the PCM calibration.