PDA

View Full Version : My Marauder is DEAD...

Granite
08-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Just yesterday I got the phone call that i was hoping i wouldn't get for at least another 100k miles. The dealership called and told me that after about 4-5 years of daily driving, my engine has finally given out on me. With 131,XXX miles on the clock i can say that it has been a wonderful journey, i have learned a lot and met a lot of great people along the way...one thing i wish i wouldn't have had to learn the hard way is that i need to have used a QUALITY oil with every oil change, these engine's need more protection then what others do...when i first bought the car i used Mobile1 with every oil change, then when the economy tanked i had to cut back like most people. With gas prices topping 4$ per gallon we all felt the hit..but one corner i should have NEVER cut was protecting my engine:mad2:take it from me! They gave me a price tag of about 8k to fix it with a 100k mile warranty and after somethought i went for it, i figured i could do this and start over from zero of course with some fixes along the way like a new water pump and fuel pump, alternator (unless it comes with the crate engine...which i doubt), axles, shocks/springs...are there any other things that anyone can suggest that i should look into so that i can keep her running for another 100k...also is there anything anyone can suggest taking off the old motor...kind of a "just in case" type thing???

Egon Spengler
08-18-2010, 05:35 AM
If you have some tech skills you should replace the motor yourself!

dohc324ci
08-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Man that bites. But I was quoted 6200.00 for a ford reman with 100k warranty installed. Good luck she would be worth reviving. You could sell your heads for 500 or so sb dunno but 3-500 isn't far fetched.

Granite
08-18-2010, 05:38 AM
i totally wish i did have the skills, tools, and the time

Granite
08-18-2010, 05:40 AM
wow, the motor was 5k+ and the install is 2k+..... hmm, thanks that's an idea, i will be sure to get those off of the old motor and try to offset some of the costs

wht02lightning
08-18-2010, 05:40 AM
Get it the heck out of the dealer and have the motor replaced by someone on here for less. I dont know who could help but im sure people could band together here and do it for less than 8 grand

dohc324ci
08-18-2010, 05:43 AM
You might wanna check but the dealer may require a core iirc thus 4200 for reman 2k install.

MM2004
08-18-2010, 05:44 AM
Get it the heck out of the dealer and have the motor replaced by someone on here for less. I dont know who could help but im sure people could band together here and do it for less than 8 grand

What ^^He^^said!

You are in an area that has a LOT of members.

Never hurts to ask.

Keep us posted.

Mike.

kernie
08-18-2010, 05:45 AM
Sorry to hear your troubles, geez 8k sounds like it would go a long ways towards another MM and keep the old one for parts, ect.

:beer:

J-MAN
08-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Sad news. Looks like cheap oil and filters cut your engine life in half or more.

Granite
08-18-2010, 06:06 AM
You might wanna check but the dealer may require a core iirc thus 4200 for reman 2k install.

core iirc???? (feeling like a noob)

Egon Spengler
08-18-2010, 06:07 AM
core iirc???? (feeling like a noob)
iirc = if I recall

yjmud
08-18-2010, 06:11 AM
core + old engine
gm 454 bbc (big block chevy) core was $350 so you may still make out

Granite
08-18-2010, 06:12 AM
What ^^He^^said!

You are in an area that has a LOT of members.

Never hurts to ask.

Keep us posted.

Mike.

i would love it if members here could help with this, but it's my daily driver and i have to act quick, i will keep everyone posted on how things go

yjmud
08-18-2010, 06:13 AM
aluminator and supercharger

Pops
08-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Drive to Michigan and buy the engine and transmission that is for sale for 1500.00 and have someone install it for you. You would save a load of money and the motor only has 36,000 miles on it! Its near Detroit so the drive would not be that bad.

Granite
08-18-2010, 06:15 AM
core + old engine
gm 454 bbc (big block chevy) core was $350 so you may still make out

they didn't say anything about the core, but i can swing $350, thanks and i will keep that in mind :beer:

gdmjoe
08-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Granite - core iirc???? (feeling like a noob)
If I Rember Correctly

Linkin
08-18-2010, 06:18 AM
I'm sure there are some people in your area, find a used motor for 2k go grab a lift from Harbor freight, unbolt it all, drain the oil, pull it out, put the "new" one in the same way, new oil, take the lift back to Harbor Freight and say it sucks....Done.

Direct engine swaps are simple, just be patient, take notes, label zip locks for
each bolt group, take pictures, follow torque specs, and ask on here with any problems you have.

The tools you would need to do an engine swap would cost less than 500$ including the lift(which you can rent or take back) and the whole swap could be done for around 3-3.5k$.

The has to be someone in your area on this forum that would love an excuse to get in a garage and do a swap, it would only take a weekend.

Goodluck

Granite
08-18-2010, 06:20 AM
hey pops, i wish i could drive to Detroit, but i'm in Maryland/Washington DC, that's quite a hump when the marauder is my only car, that would be a hell of a steal!

Drive to Michigan and buy the engine and transmission that is for sale for 1500.00 and have someone install it for you. You would save a load of money and the motor only has 36,000 miles on it! Its near Detroit so the drive would not be that bad.

RoyLPita
08-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Around this time last year I changed out an engine for a member here. Get ahold of Chris (Blown 3.8) and see what he can do.

What went wrong with your block?

ctrlraven
08-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Granite if you can get a used motor contact Blown 3.8, he might be able to help you out on a swap. Also check with SmokdMercRauder he works at Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg.

Granite
08-18-2010, 06:31 AM
they didn't say anything about the block but they said the compression was down to 12% :alone:

Around this time last year I changed out an engine for a member here. Get ahold of Chris (Blown 3.8) and see what he can do.

What went wrong with your block?

RF Overlord
08-18-2010, 06:48 AM
What oil and filter were you using and how often did you change them?

Zack
08-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Dont jump to conclusions on what happened until the engine is apart.

...nuff said.
You made it 131x miles and that is a good lifespan. You may have been a victim of bad luck.

LIGHTNIN1
08-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Get a second estimate. Might save you a bundle. Example: My daughter broke outside mirror off her Nissan Altima. First estimate, $2000 includes replacing complete door. Second estimate $460 use old mirror and fixing door.

J-MAN
08-18-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm sure there are some people in your area, find a used motor for 2k go grab a lift from Harbor freight, unbolt it all, drain the oil, pull it out, put the "new" one in the same way, new oil, take the lift back to Harbor Freight and say it sucks....Done.

Direct engine swaps are simple, just be patient, take notes, label zip locks for
each bolt group, take pictures, follow torque specs, and ask on here with any problems you have.

The tools you would need to do an engine swap would cost less than 500$ including the lift(which you can rent or take back) and the whole swap could be done for around 3-3.5k$.

The has to be someone in your area on this forum that would love an excuse to get in a garage and do a swap, it would only take a weekend.

Goodluck

Take lots of pictures too before you disassemble!

Zack
08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
I told him to get in touch with someone who is at the Dream cruise (who lives near Granite)
A complete MM engine will fit in the trunk of another MM (and close)

It could work out for both parties!

Egon Spengler
08-18-2010, 07:32 AM
You made it 131x miles and that is a good lifespan.
Good lifespan? YIKES! haha I am at 111k right now! You are making me nervous and paranoid now!

Vortex
08-18-2010, 07:33 AM
If the engine really needs to go Id find a replacement salvage yard engine and pay to have somebody do it. For around 4k (2k for motor, 2k for install?) it makes more sense than getting rid of an otherwise great car.

Zack
08-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Good lifespan? YIKES! haha I am at 111k right now! You are making me nervous and paranoid now!

...statistically speaking only.

Mike
08-18-2010, 07:36 AM
hey pops, i wish i could drive to Detroit, but i'm in Maryland/Washington DC, that's quite a hump when the marauder is my only car, that would be a hell of a steal!

Buy it and have it shipped to you if the seller is willing.

Rocknee
08-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Someone posted a motor and trans for sale on here recently.

Linkin
08-18-2010, 08:38 AM
If the engine really needs to go Id find a replacement salvage yard engine and pay to have somebody do it. For around 4k (2k for motor, 2k for install?) it makes more sense than getting rid of an otherwise great car.

I would do it for a 30 pack of Busch, the swap only gets easier as the night goes on that way.:D

ctrlraven
08-18-2010, 09:05 AM
I would do it for a 30 pack of Busch, the swap only gets easier as the night goes on that way.:D
So does the amount of left of parts (ie. bolts and nuts) when you think you really are finished. :lol:

RR|Suki
08-18-2010, 09:12 AM
8k to put in a rebuilt stock motor? And people wonder why I hate dealerships. Shop around man 8k is nuts

Linkin
08-18-2010, 09:16 AM
So does the amount of left of parts (ie. bolts and nuts) when you think you really are finished. :lol:

Haha when we were doing my buddy's 5.0 swap we would kill a 30 a night between the two of us, from about 7pm-2am. And surprisingly the car runs great and has for the past few thousand miles, we had about 30 or 40 nuts and bolts left but that was because were doing an HO upgrade and had to do a lot of modification, my buddy after 10 beers-"WTF are all of the vacuum lines for?....Give me those cutters!", the next morning the vacuum tree is gone, everything works just fine.....the power of beer.

LANDY
08-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Agreed with above, you can also buy an aluminator for around 7k, drop it in at a good local shop for maybe 1200 bucks. Then you have 8k well spent.

CobraSVT657
08-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. If you want to sell the car the way it is let me know.

Brian H
08-18-2010, 05:36 PM
there's a guy here in Cincy that is selling a whole car for 7900. check e-bay, it's location is actually in Milford,Oh. 20 mi's east of cincy.

Big Black Beast
08-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah. park it, buy a $500 clunker to drive to work, and explore your options..

twin03
08-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your motor Granite. Their is a motor that came out of a Marauder with less than 40,000 miles in VA. Hit me up, I am going down to see the car this Saturday..202-558-8242

J-MAN
08-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Used Motor+Zack Eaton kit+ Zack installed<8k=:D

NHTHAWK
08-19-2010, 08:26 AM
What oil and filter were you using and how often did you change them?

Good question - I'm doing mine every 4K with Valvoline Synthetic. Just turned 43K today. I hope there's more than 100K to go..

ctrlraven
08-19-2010, 08:55 AM
I've been changing mine every 5k miles with either Mobil 1 or RP. 146k miles strong right now.

SILVERSURFER03
08-19-2010, 09:10 AM
called ford got one for 4750.00 plus core and thats a long block less intake

Granite
08-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Good question - I'm doing mine every 4K with Valvoline Synthetic. Just turned 43K today. I hope there's more than 100K to go..

i was going to jiffy lube every 3k...big mistake, i will be doing the oil changes myself with mobile 1 from now on with the new motorcraft filter

yryr999
08-20-2010, 07:18 AM
my advice is try to find another motor or rebulid u r motor

I'm in middle east and i have three motor in the junkyard

Zack
08-20-2010, 07:25 AM
i was going to jiffy lube every 3k...big mistake, i will be doing the oil changes myself with mobile 1 from now on with the new motorcraft filter

not necessarily, a good percentage of the world has their oil changed how you did and never have problems.
Is the engine apart yet and a difinitive reason for the failure determined yet?

...and if you insist on spending the big $$$ on Mobil 1, you dont need to change the oil at 3k intervals. More like 5k. Personally, Id go 7k on Mobil 1, because its designed to last that long...usually longer.

Granite
08-20-2010, 07:38 AM
not necessarily, a good percentage of the world has their oil changed how you did and never have problems.
Is the engine apart yet and a difinitive reason for the failure determined yet?

...and if you insist on spending the big $$$ on Mobil 1, you dont need to change the oil at 3k intervals. More like 5k. Personally, Id go 7k on Mobil 1, because its designed to last that long...usually longer.

no, as soon as it's appart they're going to send me pictures, i stopped using mobile 1 over 2 years ago and that is my biggest regret, i think they were using penzoil...what kind of oil do you use Zack?

Zack
08-20-2010, 07:59 AM
no, as soon as it's appart they're going to send me pictures, i stopped using mobile 1 over 2 years ago and that is my biggest regret, i think they were using penzoil...what kind of oil do you use Zack?

I used to use Mobile 1 until I realized I was wasting my money.

Ive been using Valvoline ever since, mainly because I like the colors on the jug it comes in....its that simple.

How far do you drive the car everyday?

tbone
08-20-2010, 08:09 AM

I'm at 113k and fully expect to go well over 200k with no engine problems.

Granite
08-20-2010, 08:09 AM
I used to use Mobile 1 until I realized I was wasting my money.

Ive been using Valvoline ever since, mainly because I like the colors on the jug it comes in....its that simple.

How far do you drive the car everyday?

haha, i hear you, i may have to try Valvoline out, i drive between 24-65miles daily mon-fri, and more on the weekends, it's my daily driver

RF Overlord
08-20-2010, 08:25 AM

...and if you insist on spending the big $$$ on Mobil 1, you dont need to change the oil at 3k intervals. More like 5k. Personally, Id go 7k on Mobil 1, because its designed to last that long...usually longer.^^^what Zack said. 100% ^^^

Although I'm not a fan of quick-lubes in general, I highly doubt your motor issues were caused by getting the oil changed at Jiffy Lube. Unless, of course, yours is more crooked than usual and they didn't actually DO anything.

i think they were using penzoil...For the record, Pennzoil is one of the better oils on the market. Valvoline is also right up there.

You can't go wrong with the factory-recommended Motorcraft filter.

RR|Suki
08-20-2010, 08:34 AM
So the dealer says it was an oiling issue? Is this the same dealer charging you $8k for a rebuilt stock motor?

Granite
08-20-2010, 08:40 AM
^^^what Zack said. 100% ^^^

Although I'm not a fan of quick-lubes in general, I highly doubt your motor issues were caused by getting the oil changed at Jiffy Lube. Unless, of course, yours is more crooked than usual and they didn't actually DO anything.

For the record, Pennzoil is one of the better oils on the market. Valvoline is also right up there.

You can't go wrong with the factory-recommended Motorcraft filter.

the issue i think was the sacrifice in quality of oil, the Pennzoil was ok, but the mobile 1 was noticeably better, you could tell around 2k miles that you were getting close to needing a change with the Pennzoil, i don't blame jiffy lube for what happend to me, i blame myself for not using the motorcraft filters and sticking with what was working for me (mobile 1) regardless of the cost...inferior oil isn't worth my marauder

Granite
08-20-2010, 08:42 AM
So the dealer says it was an oiling issue? Is this the same dealer charging you $8k for a rebuilt stock motor?
yeah that's what they said, there was little to no protection with whatever oil i was using. No, it's about 5500 for a NEW marauder motor, and about 2500 in labor

Zack
08-20-2010, 08:44 AM
If oil has made it to the bottling phase, (regardless of brand and price) it is good enough to run in any automotive engine and will protect that engine so long as you change the oil at the recommended intervals.

Sh$t happens....I recently replaced a meticulously cared for engine with less than 50k on it with nuked bearings and the oil pump was in primo condition.

Its time to stop the speculation and 'maybe's' and just get it fixed right for the cheapest way possible.

RR|Suki
08-20-2010, 08:46 AM
yeah that's what they said, there was little to no protection with whatever oil i was using. No, it's about 5500 for a NEW marauder motor, and about 2500 in labor

well considering that they are ripping you off I wouldn't exactly trust their assessment quite frankly. $2500 for labor is pretty wild. . . even if they are charging $100 an hour that's 25 hours to RR a motor. . .

Granite
08-20-2010, 08:53 AM
if oil has made it to the bottling phase, (regardless of brand and price) it is good enough to run in any automotive engine and will protect that engine so long as you change the oil at the recommended intervals.

Sh$t happens....i recently replaced a meticulously cared for engine with less than 50k on it with nuked bearings and the oil pump was in primo condition.

its time to stop the speculation and 'maybe's' and just get it fixed right for the cheapest way possible.

^^^^^+1000^^^^^^

SmokdMercRauder
08-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey bud if you want give me a call.. not sure if you taken your car somewhere to get it done...cant keep up with the posts right now...Nuru

RF Overlord
08-20-2010, 09:10 AM
the issue i think was the sacrifice in quality of oil, the Pennzoil was ok, but the mobile 1 was noticeably better, you could tell around 2k miles that you were getting close to needing a change with the Pennzoil,Exactly how could you "tell" that the oil needed changing? I'm required to take my company-owned work van to Jiffy Lube and I go 5,000 on their bulk Pennzoil and can't tell any difference
yeah that's what they said, there was little to no protection with whatever oil i was using.I would be VERY interested in learning how they determined that the oil was at fault.
i blame myself...inferior oil isn't worth my marauderDon't beat yourself up...Pennzoil is in NO WAY "inferior" oil. Whatever happened to your motor was going to happen no matter whose oil you used, even if you had stuck to Mobil 1.

whd507
08-22-2010, 04:08 PM
I would recommend the Motorcraft filter over most other filters. I had a fram PH8a come apart on one of the Broncos, and get shredded cardboard and filter material into the lifters, and everywhere else. (the filter element came dislodged internally) and some bulk filters used by oil change places do not have a decent anti-drain back valve on the PH2/FL820s size.

one thing to consider when choosing oil, while any of them that has the API starburst should be OK, the OEM Motorcraft oil is semi-synthetic, and its not that expensive over other brands.(Wal-Mart and Autozone both carry it, along with the filter) The Ford spec WSS-M2C153-H was a pretty stringent spec but I suspect most any brand name 5-20 oil should meet it

If the dealer sent in an oil sample and had it analyzed, they might have found that there was a problem with the last oil installed, or the wrong weight, its possible.