PDA

View Full Version : Yep, I'm certifiable...

rayjay
08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
I am still trying to figure out why I said yes, but on Friday afternoon, less than five days after I retired, I agreed to return to as a part time LEO. Somebody pinch me and see if I'm actually concious...

MM03MOK
08-28-2010, 06:10 PM
It's a sickness, I tell ya!!!! :dunno:

FordNut
08-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be, it gets pretty boring. Working keeps your mind sharp and your body in shape, just be safe.

Ms. Denmark
08-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Admit it Ray.....Arleen had enough of fulltime "retired husband." LOL:D

Blackmobile
08-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be, it gets pretty boring. Working keeps your mind sharp and your body in shape, just be safe.

I have to agree....Retirment Sucks! I'd rather be working til the end, and then some like Elvis, and Tupac.

LANDY
08-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I still got a long way to go, but I can't imagine having nothing to do.

J-MAN
08-28-2010, 07:50 PM

Keep working! Before I retired I couldn't make any personal plans for the last 23 years as I knew as the date approached something would come up work wise and I would have to cancel any plans I had made...never failed. I missed out on birthdays, anniversary's, baseball and track for my boys and big family events. I sure don't miss getting assigned to attend classes for weeks at a time to learn what i was already doing and still having to cover my real assignment over the phone from a thousand miles away during classroom breaks. I was also a trustee on two pension funds, a 401(k) and a health and welfare fund. The last decade was spent with concession bargaining and plant closings where the best I could do was see that my members got every government benefit that was available. Very demanding both mentally and physically. Now, with that said, I was given the gift of a job that was the most exciting and challenging I could have ever imagined and I am extremely grateful, but it's over.

It is said that if you love your job you will never work a day in your life!

In retirement I have been to Carlisle and met some of our great members, a first, attended the WDC another first and spent a recent afternoon taking the training wheels off my Grandsons bike and teaching him to ride unassisted. We spent the remainder of the day with his brother detailing bikes. Life is good!

Ladyhawke
08-28-2010, 07:52 PM
When I see you in Charlotte can I kick you in the a$$?

Rocknee
08-28-2010, 08:09 PM
You can sleep after you are dead!!

justbob
08-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Saying NO was never in my vocabulary, but it seems to be getting easier and easier to say anymore...

Bigdogjim
08-28-2010, 09:06 PM
WOW!! 5 whole days must have been a living h3ll? :lol:

Part time is not so bad.

LIGHTNIN1
08-28-2010, 10:08 PM
You will be glad you did when Oprah cancels her show. Springer is a bore so go get'em.:toast:

FordNut
08-28-2010, 11:00 PM
You will be glad you did when Oprah cancels her show. Springer is a bore so go get'em.:toast:

I do like the Beverly Hillbillies reruns. But they're on the second or maybe even the third time around since last July, so it's time for a job...

Motorhead350
08-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Ray, if you are keeping the streets safe and are enjoying it, why stop? :)

Bluerauder
08-29-2010, 04:35 AM
Admit it Ray.....Arleen had enough of fulltime "retired husband." LOL:D

This ^^^ is probably true !! :D Bernie only lasted 30 days after I retired. ;)

rayjay
08-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Well, they kind of would not take NO for an answer. The early retirement incentive conditions put the agency between a rock and a hard place. 60+% of the experience went out the door. My entire shift retired. I'm feeling a little guilty about the whole deal.
I still do not know the conditions. I'll be discussing this with them on Monday. I know I won't be a command level officer anymore, thats a good thing, but knowing that I won't be treated like a dog by some of the problem children in management. Then again if my health problems crop up, see ya :run:

I just keep telling myself it will only be a day or two a week...

dakslim
08-29-2010, 07:16 AM
To each his own I guess.:confused: I don't have ANY problem with retirement and can travel to Ct to see my kids and grandkids whenever and don't have to worry about burning up my my vacation time.:) I go to bed whenever and get up whenever.:beer: I can, and do, go to the fitness center 5 or 6 times a week and can work in the yard or go play golf.:banana:

So all you people that just can't stop, keep working and paying into Soc. Sec. so it doesn't run out please!;)

Big Black Beast
08-29-2010, 09:05 PM
I wish I could retire. My retirement plan is "I can quit anytime I want to".

hwy73
09-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Congrats on your "official" retirement. As far as the part-time deal, if you want to keep your hand in it, why not. I miss the work sometimes, but I don't miss the workplace one bit, if you know what I mean.

I won't be treated like a dog by some of the problem children in management.

This is the exact reason I got out when I did, even though I was at command level.

rayjay
09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Well, I officially re-upped yesterday. :rolleyes: Took three of em to hold me down while the Boss swore at me. :D Working two shifts next week. At least I'll be rank & file, no other headaches... Well, except I have to FTO.

CBT
09-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Well, I officially re-upped yesterday. :rolleyes: Took three of em to hold me down while the Boss swore at me. :D Working two shifts next week. At least I'll be rank & file, no other headaches... Well, accept I have to FTO.

'splain FTO?

LIGHTNIN1
09-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Well, I officially re-upped yesterday. :rolleyes: Took three of em to hold me down while the Boss swore at me. :D Working two shifts next week. At least I'll be rank & file, no other headaches... Well, accept I have to FTO.

Full retirement is not for everyone and might as well make the money while you can. Hopefully we will not be able to at some point,100. I can't see myself in full retirement.

rayjay
09-15-2010, 06:20 PM
'splain FTO?

Field Training Officer

babbage
09-15-2010, 06:49 PM
I am still trying to figure out why I said yes, but on Friday afternoon, less than five days after I retired, I agreed to return to as a part time LEO. Somebody pinch me and see if I'm actually concious...

Heh-heh. More $$$ for mods? I'm going to ESTA in October wanna go?

TFB
09-15-2010, 07:08 PM
You guys can keep workin' if you like, I hung it up at 55 in May '05, ain't hit a lick since and ain't missed it... Well I have been baby sitting my now 4 1/2 year old twin grandkids but they are in pre-skool now, so I only keep them one afternoon per week...

TAKEDOWN
09-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Well, do what you must and YOU be safe out there!

rayjay
09-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, do what you must and YOU be safe out there!

Back to the danger zone in 26 minutes...

Mr. Man
09-19-2010, 07:24 PM
To each his own I guess.:confused: I don't have ANY problem with retirement and can travel to Ct to see my kids and grandkids whenever and don't have to worry about burning up my my vacation time.:) I go to bed whenever and get up whenever.:beer: I can, and do, go to the fitness center 5 or 6 times a week and can work in the yard or go play golf.:banana:

So all you people that just can't stop, keep working and paying into Soc. Sec. so it doesn't run out please!;)

To bad you live so far away. I'd come hang out and drink beers and watch the pretty girls go into the fitness place with you. In fact this sounds like a good weekly mini-meet for the Carolina MM's:beer:

sailsmen
09-19-2010, 07:27 PM
No desire to ever retire. I do understand how those who do manual labor must retire when their body gives out.