PDA

View Full Version : Best way to store a motor ?

jflave
09-15-2010, 11:25 AM
When i pulled my stock 03 MM motor a while ago i just put it in the garage & didn't do anything to it. Need some advice, best way to store it't just sitting on a pallet now. THANKS :)

Zack
09-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Leave it be in a moisture free environment.

Once a year squirt some oil down into the cylinders and rotate the engine a few times with a breaker bar... Its that simple.

TFB
09-15-2010, 11:58 AM
I'd also cap the intake and exhaust... Assuming the intake and exhaust manifolds are on it, just tape up the openings with duct tape, otherwise do same with the ports... Also when you turn it over, go two turns and a little more, say half turn... This will have operated all the valves and leave different valves open than were previously...

Paul T. Casey
09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
In addition to the above, I fill the engine with as much oil as I can possibly get in it. I tend to rotate my junk about once every three or so months. Same thing with trannys. Also, if you have a frozen iron block, or anything else iron based, Ford transmission fluid will free it. My boat steering linkage was stuck this spring, a few drops at the joints, in 24 hours it was free as when new.

Bluerauder
09-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Need some advice, best way to store it't just sitting on a pallet now. THANKS :)

A 250 gallon Zip Lock bag. ;)

jflave
09-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the advice guys i'll do that. :)

Zack
09-15-2010, 12:51 PM
In addition to the above, I fill the engine with as much oil as I can possibly get in it. I tend to rotate my junk about once every three or so months. Same thing with trannys. Also, if you have a frozen iron block, or anything else iron based, Ford transmission fluid will free it. My boat steering linkage was stuck this spring, a few drops at the joints, in 24 hours it was free as when new.

You can dump 8 quarts into a Mod motor before it will even touch the crankshaft...FYI

Paul T. Casey
09-15-2010, 12:54 PM
You can dump 8 quarts into a Mod motor before it will even touch the crankshaft...FYI

How much till it overflows the filler tube?

Zack
09-15-2010, 01:24 PM
How much till it overflows the filler tube?

If you mean the cap on the cam cover id imagine 5 gallons (in addition to 8 in the pan) would be a good guess.

RF Overlord
09-15-2010, 01:47 PM
I tend to rotate my junk about once every three or so months.That's what she said...

Sorry, this one was too good to pass up. :D

tbone
09-15-2010, 01:54 PM
If you mean the cap on the cam cover id imagine 5 gallons (in addition to 8 in the pan) would be a good guess.

People actually do this?:confused:

Marauderjack
09-15-2010, 02:41 PM
That's what she said...

Sorry, this one was too good to pass up. :D

Jeez-A-Loo.....NOT YOU TOO!!!!:eek::shake:

Paul T. Casey
09-16-2010, 04:57 PM
People actually do this?:confused:

I flood my engines with oil if they're going to sit for any length of time. Sold a 5.0 out of a '90 Crown Vic this past summer to a guy with a Fairmont. It had been sitting on the floor of my shed since 2000. He installed it, drained the oil, changed the plugs and was driving it the next day. It smoked for about an hour, but hadn't burned a lick of oil a month later. On the 5.0's, I fill and rotate until oil comes out the filler tube, then fill the cylinders via the plug holes. Reinstall the plugs until I roll the motor. After turning it over a few times, I refill the cylinders. May be overkill, but I like the results.

Big Black Beast
09-16-2010, 09:19 PM
It's not like you have to use good oil or anything. Just go to wallyworld and buy 2 or 3 of the 5 quart cheapo brand.

jflave
09-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks again guys, i'am going to drain whats in there & put in clean oil & rotate once in a while. :)