PDA

View Full Version : Fixed the Dryer today

Pat
09-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I know it's not a Marauder part but with laundry from two adults, two grandchildren and my mother, a washer and dryer are daily drivers.:(

Yesterday when I went to dry clothes the dryer was inop. Found the circuit breaker tripped at the fuse box. Reset breaker, no help. :cry:

So with my trusty $10.00 multimeter I determined that the voltage input and dryer controls were OK. Moving to the door interlock switch I felt that the action tang was not "clicking". An ohm check revealed that there was no continuity through the switch regardless if the tang was depressed or not.:D

A trip to the parts store for a new $30.00 (including tax) switch, a few minutes to install it and VOILA, dryer works fine and lasts a long time.
:beer:
Cost for repairman- in excess of $200.00, cost for a new dryer $500-$700.:shake:

Knowledge from Air Force training - priceless. :up:

I feel good (as the song says). Patricia and I are going to Magazine Mountain in Arkansas Thursday. ;)

Regards,

SILVERSURFER03
09-23-2010, 08:43 AM
good job pat they teach dryer repairin the air force wow who knew

Pat
09-23-2010, 09:00 AM
good job pat they teach dryer repair in the air force, wow, who knew.

LOL, should have said Air Force Training in use of Electronic Multimeters.

You gave me a chuckle, thanks, I needed that.

Cheeseheadbob
09-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Ha! You would be surprised what they teach in the military. Once we became friends with the folks from Eastern Europe back in the early '90's, the politicians decided it would be a great idea to send all of the nukes back to the states, so I was out of a job. When they tried to get me to re-enlist, they enticed me with a "similar" job (their words); air conditioning repair...:shake: If I would have known that the Air Force had Laundry Dryer Repair, or LDR for short, I would have done a lateral enlistment and been able to wear wrinkled BDUs with a bunch of patches, boots that looked like you shined them with a Hershey bar, and a mesh hillbilly high-rise baseball cap.:D Damn, Damn, Damn!
good job pat they teach dryer repairin the air force wow who knew

Vortex
09-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Hell when I was in A Gang (auxillaries) on my three destroyers we had to fix washer extractors, giant steam kettles, boat davits, Fairbanks Morse locomotive engines, York 110 ton centrifugal air conditioners, fresh water producing evaporators, 3000 PSI air compressors, pneumatic "bunny tubes" and the freakin ships whistle. You learn alot in the military. I recommend it for some of you younger folk. Well done Pat!

RacerX
09-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Ha! You would be surprised what they teach in the military.
Didn't Chuck Norris learn how to take out T-72 Soviet tanks with egg yolks and socks in the military?

liquid
09-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I can still remember the buzz I felt all the way up my forearm when I attempted to unplug my gas dryer's igniter... I forgot that I had re-plugged it in for a continuity check. Wife was all lovey-dovey after that, because 1) the dryer was fixed for $40 instead of $250+, 2) her big strong man got hurt, and 3) she heard my girly scream when I yanked my hand outta there.