PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack Coming Oct.3

MM2004
09-24-2010, 07:52 AM
If anyone is wanting to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista or XP, this will be a good opportunity to do it.

Providing your hardware is fairly new.

The Family Pack comes with the media and a total of 3 licenses for around $149.00. (Retail)

The pack will allow you to install either 32 or 64 BIT depending upon what processor is in your machine.

If you have been riding the fence on upgrading your OS, I recommend this as it comes out to only $50.00 per license.

Mike.

babbage
09-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Too much fluff and glitz for me. I'm sticking with XP... Good info on pricing though, does seem like a reasonable price.

sailsmen
09-24-2010, 08:12 AM
I have all 3 and Windows 7 still has some glitches. Stick w/ XP.

MM2004
09-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I have all 3 and Windows 7 still has some glitches. Stick w/ XP.

XP has been around for about a decade, and it still has glitches.

I support XP machines at work. And I like XP.

I like Windows 7 better.

Mike.

CBT
09-24-2010, 09:13 AM
XP has been around for about a decade, and it still has glitches.

I support XP machines at work. And I like XP.

I like Windows 7 better.

Mike.

Nerds, they're everywhere :shake:

Haggis
09-24-2010, 09:20 AM

:lol:

I went right to your post Casey before reading the others here, because I knew you would have a smart a$$ comment.

MrBluGruv
09-24-2010, 09:43 AM
That is a pretty good deal considering what MS usually wants for the...privilege...of using their operating systems.

I can only think of a handful of things that 7 will do for me that XP won't, and as a gamer one of those is DX10 and up. The other thing I can't have is quite-as-large memory addressing, but seriously, If you have 4 gigs, unless you're doing some MEGA streaming work with something like Audio-Video, you shouldn't be stressing that much memory on XP.

As a side note, I gotta brag to all the other comp geeks here: just put in a AMD Phenom II X4 965BE processor last night, even without overclocking this thing SCREAMS. :D

RocsMerc
09-24-2010, 10:00 AM

You can add me to that list of nerds. I'm running dual boot Windows 7 and x64 Arch Linux. Just installed win 7 recently. Haven't yet decided if I like XP better or not.

CBT
09-24-2010, 10:03 AM
You can add me to that list of nerds. I'm running dual boot Windows 7 and x64 Arch Linux. Just installed win 7 recently. Haven't yet decided if I like XP better or not.
lol, I have no idea what that means. i called him a nerd but behind the scenes we have talked at length about my craptastic home computer.

SAAAAAC
09-24-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm a huge fan of windows 7. Lots of compatibility issues on the enterprise side, but that's with any new OS, and the fact that we run hundreds of different applications. That's why we haven't converted over yet. But for home use, I love it. I've been running it on 4 machines for a year now and I haven't had any issues. Doing a clean install is really easy!! Its compatible with most hardware. Some video and sound cards may have issues, but for the most part its good. If you haven't upgraded then do it.

FordNut
09-24-2010, 10:15 AM
I read earlier that W7 won't install as an update to XP. If you wanted to upgrade you had to have Vista or do a fresh install. Is that still true?

SAAAAAC
09-24-2010, 10:23 AM
I've only done clean installs. That's the best way to go anyway. Just get yourself an external hard drive and back your stuff up. Reformat and install. You might want to get some memory too if you have less than 2GB. And you'll probably see a drastic improvement in performance.

I read earlier that W7 won't install as an update to XP. If you wanted to upgrade you had to have Vista or do a fresh install. Is that still true?

RacerX
09-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Technet went from 10 licenses to 5. :( I use 7 Ultimate on everything except the Home Server. Xboxes, etc. hook up nicely and play very well. Even have OSX running on a PC... :D And yes, I like Macs and PCs... :burnout:

MM2004
09-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Brian,

No.

You can upgrade from XP to Win7.

Ask me how I know.

:D

Mike.

RacerX
09-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Brian,

No.

Ask me how I know.

Mike.
Yep. Copy all the installation files and edit a file.
Still better to do a fresh install and carry all that registry baggage over...

MM2004
09-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I've only done clean installs. That's the best way to go anyway. Just get yourself an external hard drive and back your stuff up. Reformat and install. You might want to get some memory too if you have less than 2GB. And you'll probably see a drastic improvement in performance.

I do not disagree with you on clean installs.

However, an upgrade is fine as I have done so on my machine at home.

Installed a fresh OS on a partition, never updated patches or installed drivers.

Immediately ran the update over the existing OS as is very clean as far as I am concerned.

No issues in over a year.

Mike.

TooManyFords
09-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Brian,

No.

Ask me how I know.

Mike.

Yes, I want to know. So far I've never been able to get the 7 Upgrade to recognize an XP as valid.

Please be specific.

Thanks

MM2004
09-27-2010, 04:11 AM
Yes, I want to know. So far I've never been able to get the 7 Upgrade to recognize an XP as valid.

Please be specific.

Thanks

John,

What errors/popups were you getting when the install puked?

When I upgraded mine, I didn't have a metwork connection and it prompted me to make sure I was connected to the internet.

Other than that, the install went smoothly.

I need more information as to what happened during your upgrade attempt.

What are your system specs?

Mike.

TooManyFords
09-27-2010, 04:45 AM
You said you could upgrade an XP box to Windows 7 with just the Windows 7 disc. Microsoft says otherwise and I've never been able to convince it to do it either. The upgrade path has always been XP -> Vista -> 7, without wiping the partition, so if you have a way to jump from XP -> 7 without a clean install, I'm all ears.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

FordNut
09-27-2010, 06:18 AM
First page of the tutorial tells me all I need to know. I'll stick with XP. Thanks.

MM2004
09-27-2010, 06:27 AM
You said you could upgrade an XP box to Windows 7 with just the Windows 7 disc. Microsoft says otherwise and I've never been able to convince it to do it either. The upgrade path has always been XP -> Vista -> 7, without wiping the partition, so if you have a way to jump from XP -> 7 without a clean install, I'm all ears.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

The difference may be that I backed up all my data, ran the upgrade (Custom) and blew the XP install away.

Transferred my data back once the install was complete, patched and AV installed.

I should have mentioned that I blew away the previous Windows version during the upgrade.

Mike.

TooManyFords
09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm not disputing that blowing away XP is the best thing to do, it is. I just wanted to be sure that we're on the same page and there wasn't some trick I was not aware of to do the upgrade from XP > 7 without a clean install.

Cheers!

John

BruteForce
09-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Clean install is your friend. Think of it as serious Spring cleaning for your PC. Forces you to take inventory of what software you have installed and what you really need going forward. Be sure to back up your personal files prior to format.

Think about it... would you do a half-azz'd job doing an engine swap in your Marauder?

RacerX
09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey John! What brand do you have or is it homemade? PM me.