PDA

View Full Version : New Bug Invades 29 States

ctrlraven
09-26-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.comcast.net/video/new-bug-invading-states-causes-a-stink/1600472642/Comcast/1598367793/

Mr. Man
09-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Zillions of them around here in NJ. Last year was worse. This year not so many in the house. I guess the word got out in the bug community..stop in at Mr. Man's house and he'll Bhopal your bug butt

Blackened300a
09-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Im personally more worried about bed bugs. The movie theater and some of the retail stores have been infected with them. Some of the buildings in my surrounding areas have been getting quite a few new bed deliveries lately.

Ken
09-27-2010, 04:51 AM
Ruh Roh! I saw my first one on Friday.

ctrlraven
09-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Im personally more worried about bed bugs. The movie theater and some of the retail stores have been infected with them. Some of the buildings in my surrounding areas have been getting quite a few new bed deliveries lately.
Local radio station was talking about bed bugs this morning, number one way of transport now is by cell phone! They crawl into the ear mesh area and tag along for a ride to wherever the is phone is headed.

Blackened300a
09-27-2010, 06:15 AM
Local radio station was talking about bed bugs this morning, number one way of transport now is by cell phone! They crawl into the ear mesh area and tag along for a ride to wherever the is phone is headed.

They hitch a ride on anything. Suitcases, clothes, bags, etc.... 5 star hotels in NYC are infested with them. Tons of businesses are being shut down to be sprayed in the area. Its like NYC is the bed bug capital right now.

FordNut
09-27-2010, 06:22 AM
The stink bugs have been around here forever, but this year is the first time I've seen them trying to get inside the house. Kind of like the ladybugs have been in recent years, I guess they're trying to get inside for the winter.

ctrlraven
09-27-2010, 06:26 AM
The stink bug came over in the mid 90's when some shipment was delivered to Allentown, PA and that's where it all began.

Last Sunday I was pressuring hundreds off the side of my house....

Once the first frost comes they won't be out as much.

FordNut
09-27-2010, 06:33 AM
The stink bug came over in the mid 90's when some shipment was delivered to Allentown, PA and that's where it all began.

Maybe in the 1890's? They used to get on the tomato plants at my grandparents' garden way back when I was a kid. Pick a 'mater with a stink bug on it and the stink on your hand will almost make you puke.

I guess this could be a different species of stink bug, kind of like the new ladybugs they intentionally introduced to eat the agelids that are destroying the hemlocks.

edit: come to think of it, maybe it is a new species of stink bug, the ones I remember growing up with were a green color, the new ones are a brownish color. Same shape, same smell.

Blackened300a
09-27-2010, 06:58 AM

Back in the 90's a shipment of Parrots and south american birds escaped from JFK airport. They ended up in Queens and you can see these giant nests and bright colored birds flying around during the summer and destroying power lines with their nests. All it takes is for a few to escape and cause chaos.

http://gothamist.com/2009/04/22/queens_parrots_didnt_give_a_ho ot_ab.php

ctrlraven
09-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Maybe in the 1890's? They used to get on the tomato plants at my grandparents' garden way back when I was a kid. Pick a 'mater with a stink bug on it and the stink on your hand will almost make you puke.

I guess this could be a different species of stink bug, kind of like the new ladybugs they intentionally introduced to eat the agelids that are destroying the hemlocks.

edit: come to think of it, maybe it is a new species of stink bug, the ones I remember growing up with were a green color, the new ones are a brownish color. Same shape, same smell.
Funny you say about the green ones. I have seen several green ones in the past few months around my house. There looks to be 5 different species of stink bugs. http://www.pestproducts.com/stink-bugs.htm The ones around the mid-alantic are Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs, the green ones are Southern Green Stink Bugs.

CBT
09-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Who :censor: cares?!
The stink birds will eat them! :P

ctrlraven
09-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Who :censor: cares?!
The stink birds will eat them! :P
Actually birds won't touch them, one bite into them and the stink will be too much for them. That's why there ramped everywhere since there is no known natural predator for them.

CBT
09-27-2010, 07:51 AM
That's why there ramped everywhere since there is no known natural predator for them.
Hmmm......reminds me of another invader.....

Joe Walsh
09-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Chris,
Those MF's are everywhere at our house!
Last year there were a few of them around, but this year is ridiculous!
They have the really annoying habit of flying at your head and face whenever you walk out the door.....:mad2:

It reminds me of the Gypsy Moth catapillar invasion when we lived in Connecticut in the late 60s/early 70s.
Those hungry SOB's could strip a tree of all it's leaves in a few days!

jflave
09-27-2010, 12:27 PM

True because they will all be hiding in your house by then staying warm :sleepy:till spring. :eek: