PDA

View Full Version : Rare 70 Boss 9 Cougar

Jolly Roger
10-02-2010, 07:32 PM
How would you like to rock one of these rare beauties?

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/features/car-features/muscle-cars-you-should-know-69-mercury-cougar-boss-429/

Joe Walsh
10-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Dyno Don owned the other BOSS 429 Cougar:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/features/2010/xii_6-mercury-3.html

Talk about a rare car!

Jolly Roger
10-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Dyno Don owned the other BOSS 429 Cougar:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/features/2010/xii_6-mercury-3.html

Talk about a rare car!

Thanks JW,
wonder were it is today?

Vortex
10-03-2010, 07:00 AM
In the Splitting Hairs Department I always thought of a Cougar as a "Pony Car" and not a "muscle car". To me Pony Cars were Mustangs, Camaro's, Firebirds, Cougars, Cudas, Challengers and Javelin/AMX's. Muscle cars were mid-sized (or larger) cars like Chevelles, GSXs, 442s, Torinos, Cyclones, Road Runners, GTXs ect... The big muscle cars were the Hurst Fury IIIs, those late 60's Marauders and some of the big Impalas. Anyway, thats the way I remember it. Never heard of these two Cougars, learn something new every day.

musclemerc
10-03-2010, 07:05 AM
I have never heard of this particular Cougar, but I want one.

69428SCJ
10-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Doug Herzog is a member over at mercurycougar.net and is in the process of restoring the Schartman cougar. We have yet to see any pics of the restoration over there. He's keeping it pretty close to his vest...

FastMerc
10-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Oh yes I remember these,for years I tracked Eliminators in the hopes of finding the one I wanted and actually found a street 429 cat 70 in Grabber Green.Guy wanted 40,000 for it then. I did research and 2 or 3 were actually street cars.People that worked in the plant bought them.

boatmangc
10-03-2010, 10:31 AM
I turned down a 69 Boss 429 Mustang a few years ago. It had 9400 miles on it, all done 1320' at a time. The car was all there with the exception of the rear end and therefore the rear wheels ( the Boss 429 had it's own Magnum 500 wheels with a different bolt pattern) and it had a big 'ol tach screwed right through the dash. And a nasty 70's vintage custom paint job.

I was in the process of building a 47 Chevy LWB 1 ton panel truck at the time and didn't have the space.
Told a buddy about it, he picked it up for 36K. Put 45K in it, It appraised for 94K,
He showed it for 1 1/2 years and sold it for 140K.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda....:depress:

Big Black Beast
10-03-2010, 10:42 AM
I personally have always thought calling the Cuda or challenger a "pony" car was stretching it a bit anyway. They are huge, really more of a mid-size of the day. The original Barracuda was a pony car, but it got much larger when the body style changed.

In the Splitting Hairs Department I always thought of a Cougar as a "Pony Car" and not a "muscle car". To me Pony Cars were Mustangs, Camaro's, Firebirds, Cougars, Cudas, Challengers and Javelin/AMX's. Muscle cars were mid-sized (or larger) cars like Chevelles, GSXs, 442s, Torinos, Cyclones, Road Runners, GTXs ect... The big muscle cars were the Hurst Fury IIIs, those late 60's Marauders and some of the big Impalas. Anyway, thats the way I remember it. Never heard of these two Cougars, learn something new every day.