PDA

View Full Version : Seeking prior experience with a non-Ford car...

MrBluGruv
10-04-2010, 07:30 AM
I know I'll probably get flamed for this pretty bad,

but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with LS1-powered Camaros or Trans-Ams?

I found what I think is a deal on one and I want to know if there are any particular problems that pop up with them, even if driven like an adult and well taken care of.

fastblackmerc
10-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Motor isn't bad but overall the cars suck. Fit & finish is poor to non-existent and most are rattle traps.

a_d_a_m
10-04-2010, 08:08 AM
I think someone on this board just bought one (within the past few months) and there was a thread about pros/cons. I can't remember the dude's name but I think he was from Wisconsin.

Up here, if an F-body has been driven in the snow/salt even once, it seems like it's junk. We've had 5 in our family...'75 Firebird, '77 T/A, '87 'Bird, '87 Bird #2 (V6), '92 Bird (V6). I owned the last two. Having been around cars, and knowing a few who have 4th-gen F's, I can tell you they're not much more durable. I've done frame and floor repair on them, and those bolts must be "Insta-Rust" because working on them once they've gone through any sort of moisture is way more difficult than any other car I've ever worked on.

BUT...being that you're in Texas, you likely won't have a lot of those issues. Just make sure your car is FROM the south and you'll be fine.

Rockettman
10-04-2010, 09:04 AM
I have never been a fan of the seats in the late model Firebirds and Camaros. Very "thin" and not very supportive.
Although they do look nice, it's a very nothing car with a nice, if not great, engine.

RoyLPita
10-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Talk to Blackmobile. He had one before.

69428SCJ
10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I've owned 2 LS1s...I might be able to help

MrBluGruv
10-04-2010, 05:34 PM
I've owned 2 LS1s...I might be able to help

Awesome.

So far, aside from the basic stuff about fit and finish (doesn't surprise me, one of my ex's dad had an '02 SS, and that thing was the same way), I've only found three main recurring problems: EVERYONE said that rain + turn signals = dead turn signals, a handful of people said they had issues crop up after MANY miles with the rear end, and a very small number of people talked about trans issues. I have no idea how hard these people pushed these cars.

Did you experience these problems? And were there others specific to yours?

LANDY
10-04-2010, 06:06 PM
all i can say is they can be really quick for very litle money. but they are a pin to work on. i have worked on a friend numerous times and i wouldnt own one.
my buddy made it to 11.3 with 3.73 gears full bolt ons and 150 shot on a 6 speed ls1, he says he has less than 3k in the car on parts.

Blackmobile
10-04-2010, 06:27 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2002_Trans_Am_WS6.JPG

LS1 TA and Z28 give you all the power you need from stock, but when they get modded they get monstrous in power gains. BUT...
Tranny mounts will go bad at the drop of a hat ( Or lightin the rears tires up) The motor powered headlights on the TA need to have a metal gears installed to last. As in the Marauder the tire life will be about a year if you go easy on um. The main speakers are in the door and will go periodically. Both types are engineered to run at high temp, but with a tune and a lower stat, that problem can be dealt with. I loved mine to death but the seats are a toucher chamber for long drives ( after 5-13 hours you will be dying to get out of the car). My tranny did go after about 90K miles but the rebuild at a very reputably shop cost me $875 rebuilt and installed (That did knock my socks off). Most os the car is plastic so prepare to replace stuff you never thought you would. If anything else comes to mide I'll let you know.

Ed

MrBluGruv
10-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeh I'm not looking for speed per se: I know the car has a LOT of guts in it, enough that some (if not most?) run 13s in stock trim, but I'm not looking to mod the car at all aside from maybe a muffler swap and then a tune to take off that damn skip-shift I hear about.

I've heard, thinking about plastic pieces, that the sun visors have been known to straight fall off...

Also, 875 for a tranny rebuilt is amazing compared to the 2200 I spent on mine for the Mercury.

My ultimate goal in getting this car would be getting something that is plenty powerful and that I won't have to rag much (just in a pinch if I can keep it that rare) that looks real nice, is sort of rare given it's a ws6, and is just plain fun to drive.

I can't lie, I'm REALLY nervous just thinking about going from my MM to something else, but I'm afraid that any car I've looked at just costs a lot to upkeep period, no matter what it is. :(

Then again, I imagine I'm scaring myself a bit too much, as it can't possibly be that every car falls apart all the time even if you take care of them...

Blackmobile
10-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Yeh I'm not looking for speed per se: I know the car has a LOT of guts in it, enough that some (if not most?) run 13s in stock trim, but I'm not looking to mod the car at all aside from maybe a muffler swap and then a tune to take off that damn skip-shift I hear about.

It's called CAGS (Computer Assist Gear Shift) and there is a very inexpensive mod to eliminate that problem.

SpartaPerformance
10-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Motor isn't bad but overall the cars suck. Fit & finish is poor to non-existent and most are rattle traps.

+1!! Great engine and fast but not much of a car as a whole. Noisy, interiors fall apart, creek and rattle.

guspech750
10-04-2010, 08:24 PM
With the LS1's being a great motor and dependable and very easy to mod motor. I would say venture off to a 2006 GTO. The fit and finish is very very good and with that you get the even more awesome LS2 with 400 hp with auto or 6 speed. Independent rear suspension. The interior is actually very roomy and very upscale. The seats are amazing to sit in and I am 6'2" and I can sit in the rear very comfortably. We have a 2005 GTO. I use to have a 1997 Camaro SS but it had the LT1 and as far as the motors in the F-bodies being great motors I too thought the seats suck and the fit and finish suck too. Really. Check out an 05 or 06 GTO. Big roomy very powerful and fast. Like our MM's but not as slow as a stock MM

guspech750
10-04-2010, 08:26 PM
and they were built in Austrailia by Holden. Thats a plus. Just like the G8 was.

69428SCJ
10-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Awesome.

So far, aside from the basic stuff about fit and finish (doesn't surprise me, one of my ex's dad had an '02 SS, and that thing was the same way), I've only found three main recurring problems: EVERYONE said that rain + turn signals = dead turn signals, a handful of people said they had issues crop up after MANY miles with the rear end, and a very small number of people talked about trans issues. I have no idea how hard these people pushed these cars.

Did you experience these problems? And were there others specific to yours?

I never had an issue with the turn signals in all the times I drove it in the rain. I know the rear end in mine would love to clank at about 5 mph when I was coasting and then gave it even the slightest amount of gas. Also I had this very annoying tick that never got diagnosed properly (When I traded it in after 2 years it had 12,000 miles on it). All those issues were on my 02 Z28. I've had none of those issues with my 04 Corvette.

MrBluGruv
10-04-2010, 09:34 PM
With the LS1's being a great motor and dependable and very easy to mod motor. I would say venture off to a 2006 GTO. The fit and finish is very very good and with that you get the even more awesome LS2 with 400 hp with auto or 6 speed. Independent rear suspension. The interior is actually very roomy and very upscale. The seats are amazing to sit in and I am 6'2" and I can sit in the rear very comfortably. We have a 2005 GTO. I use to have a 1997 Camaro SS but it had the LT1 and as far as the motors in the F-bodies being great motors I too thought the seats suck and the fit and finish suck too. Really. Check out an 05 or 06 GTO. Big roomy very powerful and fast. Like our MM's but not as slow as a stock MM

That's actually a really good idea man, thanks. I already found one nearby with only a few more miles but is a 2005 6MT for about the same price. Looks like it may be slightly modded already, which gives me mixed feelings. I'm going to check it out tomorrow if it's still there.

dohc324ci
10-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey Man, I almost bought a 2002 WS6 T/A but after sitting in both the TA and 2000 Mustang GT the Mustang had better ergo, fit and finish, ride etc. BUT that LS1 is bad ass the low end grunt plus top end is nice. However, if I were you cross shop a S197 GT and you will see a HUGE difference. The 3V is plenty fast and torquey for its displacement plus tons of aftermarket to make it fast (my wifes GT is putting down 289rwhp with just a tune and CAI). If you need to go for the LSx go with the WS6 TA or find a nice Firehawk.

Good Luck.

boatmangc
10-05-2010, 03:34 AM
If you have to make the swap do the GTO

MrBluGruv
10-05-2010, 10:07 AM
The only consistent problem I've found for the GTO from 2005-2006 is problems with the drive-by-wire system. I'm honestly not that fond of the drive-by-wire system in any car.

Realistically, besides the interior lifespan, the only thing going for the GTO at the moment in my mind is the extra horses of an LS2. I like the WS6 in every other way, and it's cheaper with less miles and probably can get better MPG.

guspech750
10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.gtoforum.com/

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/

MrBluGruv
10-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I got to test drive the '05 I mentioned the other day today. Thing was ****g wild. 2nd gear could break the rear loose at like 30mph if you laid into it a little too much.

This one though has a small assortment of issues:
-squeeky serpentine belt, but it looks original at 50K miles and the dealership said they would replace at no cost prior to me taking possession of the car
-those little covers OVER the valve covers were taken off and not put back on by the previous owner. won't be addressed by dealer.
-the plastic trim piece around the aftermarket radio head unit is falling off, also something they claim they will fix before my purchase.
-has an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. Not really an "issue" so much as the fact I would like a car that's completely stock.
-not sure if it should feel this way or not, but 1st gear feels a little trickier than the rest to get into gear. The rest feel almost buttery smooth, but 1st not so much.

Neglecting those issues and assuming they would be permanently fixed by the dealer, car seems pretty AWESOME though. Lots of go, and honestly a very comfortable ride, VERY easy to operate even for a standard (I haven't had a terrible lot of experience myself yet.)