PDA

View Full Version : New from Bose

MERCMAN
10-04-2010, 11:36 AM
I have got to see and hear this and then buy one!!

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_LINKS_TAR GET_EVENT&DTCLinkID=8070&src=EM280270&dartsourceid=EM280270

Mac-MerC
10-04-2010, 12:21 PM
not for 5k

for 5k i can buy two 60' LED tv's and 2 decent home theatre systems.

BOSE' does have thee best surround sound out there.... but thats alot for 1 tv. i bet its only like a 42'

Bluerauder
10-04-2010, 12:31 PM
BOSE' does have thee best surround sound out there.... but thats alot for 1 tv. i bet its only like a 42'

I have the BOSE Lifestyle 28 system and it does sound great. I've had it for about 5 years or so. But that system only cost me about $2,000 minus the 42" HDTV.

The BOSE Wave technology does sound good. I have one of the tabletop Wave CD/Radios. But the Lifestyle System far exceeds that performance.

FreddieH
10-04-2010, 02:33 PM
I own a Bose Acoustic Wave music System I purchased in 1987 and it still sounds as good as when I purchased it.

boatmangc
10-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I have owned Bose since the 70s.
I had their 1401 system in one of my cars, it was amazing.
I have had their direct reflecting home speakers since the early 80's.
I have a set of 901s in my shop, the neighbors love it.
They are expensive but I have never questioned their quality sound.
I can't imagine what their TV will be like.

MERCMAN
10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
I have a lifestyle 5 music systems that was purchased over 10 yrs ago. Other than the MM and my wife, it has been the best investment I have ever made! :)

What bothers me is the one yr warranty. I am going to contact Bose after the release of this product and find out what the deal is. The music systems have a 5yr warranty and I am not dropping that kind of coin without an extended in-home repair warranty. That being said, I have never had any issues with my music system. I wonder if the 1 yr warranty is due to Bose not manufacturing the TV itself?

Spectragod
10-04-2010, 04:39 PM
not for 5k

for 5k i can buy two 60' LED tv's and 2 decent home theatre systems.

I barely got a home theatre electronics & speakers for 5k, I must be living wrong. :confused:

Bigdogjim
10-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I still have an Am radio:)

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-04-2010, 04:46 PM
There are far better speakers and home theater systems you can put together, than the overpriced, proprietary bose..anythings.

Mac-MerC
10-04-2010, 04:50 PM
I barely got a home theatre electronics & speakers for 5k, I must be living wrong. :confused:

they had LG 55' LEDs at HHgregg for $2100 last weekend. and the deals are only gonna get better towards the end of the year... black friday and christmas
u must havent been to best buy or any electronics store lately?.... at brandsmart u can get a 60' for under 2k

sailsmen
10-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Bose is the smartest marketing company in the sound businesses. Their focus group is women. Their designs are based on appearance.
They do make a lot of good sound and I have enjoyed their products.

Spectragod
10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
they had LG 55' LEDs at HHgregg for $2100 last weekend. and the deals are only gonna get better towards the end of the year... black friday and christmas
u must havent been to best buy or any electronics store lately?.... at brandsmart u can get a 60' for under 2k

Uhhh, my 5k didn't include a tv or projector. Nor did it include installation.

I refuse to shop at the box stores, I prefer a little higher end than they offer. ;)

Not to say that you can't buy something decent from them, I have a hard time dealing with 19YO's telling me how great a product is that they know nothing about. I could go on, but won't.......

As long as what you got is what you wanted, price really doesn't matter.

Shora
10-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I have a lifestyle 5 music systems that was purchased over 10 yrs ago. Other than the MM and my wife, it has been the best investment I have ever made! :)

What bothers me is the one yr warranty. I am going to contact Bose after the release of this product and find out what the deal is. The music systems have a 5yr warranty and I am not dropping that kind of coin without an extended in-home repair warranty. That being said, I have never had any issues with my music system. I wonder if the 1 yr warranty is due to Bose not manufacturing the TV itself?

It may have to do with the fact that they used to manufacture their products in the USA (and maybe Germany) but all the new stuff is Chinese.

Once they went to China my family stopped buying from them.

DEFYANT
10-04-2010, 07:09 PM

Hear about the new 8 tracks? They are kind of big and bulky, but you can play a whole album in your car!!

Mr. Man
10-04-2010, 07:24 PM
That explains the coat hanger antenna:cool:

Vortex
10-05-2010, 06:47 AM
http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/M4400.jpg

Ive wanted one of these since about 1974.

CBT
10-05-2010, 08:25 AM
It goes to....

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mz/M4400.jpg

Ive wanted one of these since about 1974.

BlueFusion
10-05-2010, 09:17 AM
There are far better speakers and home theater systems you can put together, than the overpriced, proprietary bose..anythings.

Quoted for truth. Bose is good but not great. They are just really good at marketing and people thing greater price must equal greater quality.

Bose are alright. My dad has two big Bose speakers in his basement which makes great sound connected to a proper receiver.

But I've heard their "home theater" solutions. My friend had bought a set, all together was $1000 for 2 little tweeters, a big sub, and stands for the tweeters. It can not compete with the setup I have which I got all individually from Newegg and all together cost under $500. He reluctantly admits it has better sound, especially at loud volumes where the Bose doesn't stand a chance with its tiny tweeters. Combine that with my $700 projector thrown across my apartment living room for an 82" view size and it's still less than half the cost of that TV and I still have 1080i, excellent sound, and tons of features (hooked up to my computer and cable box to do just about anything).

Bluerauder
10-05-2010, 09:58 AM
But I've heard their "home theater" solutions. My friend had bought a set, all together was $1000 for 2 little tweeters, a big sub, and stands for the tweeters. It can not compete with the setup I have ....

Your friend probably has the Bose 3-2-1 Home Theater system based on the description. It retails for around $800. Its performance is optimized for a small room as a low end system.

I can tell you that the Bose Lifestyle 28 has great sound and is tuned specifically for "your" room. The surround sound is incredible. Since I got my set-up the Bose Lifestyle has moved on to the 38 series for $2,100 and the 48 series for $3050. Both have more advanced features than my series 28 system. However, I am VERY happy with my set-up.

MERCMAN
10-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Your friend probably has the Bose 3-2-1 Home Theater system based on the description. It retails for around $800. Its performance is optimized for a small room as a low end system.

I can tell you that the Bose Lifestyle 28 has great sound and is tuned specifically for "your" room. The surround sound is incredible. Since I got my set-up the Bose Lifestyle has moved on to the 38 series for $2,100 and the 48 series for $3050. Both have more advanced features than my series 28 system. However, I am VERY happy with my set-up.

+1

Also I have not heard anything that compete with the crisp sound of a Bose system. If you are listening to head-banging music at 100 DB, most any speaker will do, however, if you like to hear what music instruments actually sound like with the subtle nuances of classical, to the sound of a finger sliding down a fret on an accustic guitar solo, then Bose has the corner on the market!!

CBT
10-05-2010, 10:25 AM
I can't see spending thousands and thousands of dollars on stereo/home theatre sound systems. I like my set up. My ex-wife used to call my speakers "the divorce makers". Turns out the :censor: was right about something for once.

Bluerauder
10-05-2010, 11:52 AM
+1

Also I have not heard anything that compete with the crisp sound of a Bose system. If you are listening to head-banging music at 100 DB, most any speaker will do, however, if you like to hear what music instruments actually sound like with the subtle nuances of classical, to the sound of a finger sliding down a fret on an accustic guitar solo, then Bose has the corner on the market!!

On the Lifestyle 28 that I have, the sound of helicopters passing overhead, M16 rifle fire, M60 MG, incoming mortar fire, etc was so realistic in "We Were Soldiers" that I was bobbing and weaving during the movie. If it ain't 'exactly' realistic, it was dayum close enough to give me the chills.

Zack
10-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Pops set us up with 6 Paradigm Speakers and an Onyko Receiver for under 2 G's and it sounds incredible.

BlueFusion
10-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Yes I believe that sounds about right. Either way, I can't justify spending that much money for it. I spent half the price and the sound is just as clear and crisp. Infact, the Bose speakers I have on my computer (some $300 set) I think don't have as clear a sound as the $100 Logitech speakers I had before.

And I love We Were Soldiers and Black Hawk Down pumped up real loud! It sounds great on my Polk Audio speakers and sub and Yamaha A/V receiver.

musclemerc
10-05-2010, 12:29 PM
You can't beat Paradigm for the money.

No highs no low's must be BOSE!

Pops set us up with 6 Paradigm Speakers and an Onyko Receiver for under 2 G's and it sounds incredible.

illwood
10-05-2010, 01:39 PM
however, if you like to hear what music instruments actually sound like with the subtle nuances of classical, to the sound of a finger sliding down a fret on an accustic guitar solo, then Bose has the corner on the market!!

No highs no low's must be BOSE!

These comments are actually linked. I heard that Dr. Bose (founder) ensures that all of the Bose product line are EQed for optimal reproduction of classical music.

When was the last time saw EQ controls on a Bose. . .

IMO, Bose is a company that made very good high-end audio equipment 20+ years ago. I believe that their engineering is good and advanced, but their quality has gone down significantly (but not their price). My dad bought my mother a Bose Wave-CD a number of years ago for Christmas. Shortly after it was out of warranty, it stopped playing CDs. Mom contacted Bose about it and was told that she could send it back with $100 or $200 (I forget) and they would repair it. :mad2:

Meanwhile, my Cambridge Soundworks-CD that was bought shortly after has been running like a champ since new. It also has a true subwoofer (the Bose Wave uses one of the two drivers with their "Wave Channel" to amplify the bass). The Soundworks weighs a ton and it can crank and stay clean. If you try to crank up the Bose, the plastic starts vibrating badly.

BlueFusion
10-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Yes i think that's what I dislike about the Bose systems. The only two controls you get are volume and bass (on some models like my computer speakers). Luckily I have a good sound card to equalize movies on my home theater and gaming computers. And the Bose have no bass once you go past half volume on any Bose system I've heard (less those giant Bose book shelf speakers my dad has).

CBT
10-05-2010, 05:09 PM
On the Lifestyle 28 that I have, the sound of helicopters passing overhead, M16 rifle fire, M60 MG, incoming mortar fire, etc was so realistic in "We Were Soldiers" that I was bobbing and weaving during the movie. If it ain't 'exactly' realistic, it was dayum close enough to give me the chills.

Watching 'Saving Private Ryan' thru my set-up caused the same reaction for mel! The hair on the back of my neck was standing up. Bullets sounded like bees zipping past my ears. I slid down on the couch so the top of my head was below the top of the couch, lol.

B.C. Bake
10-05-2010, 06:30 PM
OK, I think I'll splurge and get a color TV ......;)

Leadfoot281
10-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I bought a set of Bose 301's while in Germany in 1990 and kept them for many years ( I think I sold them in 2003). They still sounded great. I replaced them with some Polk's and after adding a powered sub woofer, couldn't be happier. The best thing about the 301's though was that they sounded great in any room.

According to many knowledgeable people I've talked to recently about audio, their opinion is Bose=Blows.

B.C. Bake
10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
OK, Jbl's still kick in, mostly for stereo but surround is hooked up. A bit much for a movie though 15,000 watt Crown Amps US Air Force, Philippines purchase.:rolleyes:.......:bee r:. Oh my mistake , 1 to many zeroes it's 1,500 watts.

MERCMAN
10-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Stopped in and had a demo of the system. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

The price is 5.3k,, pricy but the sound and separation is phenominal. You need to check this out if you can