PDA

View Full Version : Explain THIS to the Captain!!

Donny Carlson
12-08-2003, 09:30 PM
You gotta know it started out as a pretty good day, then....

Bigdogjim
12-08-2003, 09:39 PM
What happended to just leaving your name in wet cement:lol:

RedMM
12-09-2003, 05:14 AM
Bigdogjim.....wasn't this the cover photo for the November issue of "CrownVictoria's Dirty Little Secret" catalog?????? :lol:

RoyLPita
12-09-2003, 05:33 AM
Don't expect that car to perform well in pursuit. It is a little more weighed down now.

SergntMac
12-09-2003, 07:03 AM
I've been a police supervisor for 13 years now, and as such, it's my job to investigate stuff like this. Most of time, I'm able to write my report in a way that helps the officer in the Review Panel process. Cops are responsible for their equipment, and damage usually results in punishment in some form, loss of comp hours, suspension w/o pay and so on. I try to keep the punishment to a minimum when I can, and even for the ocassional sad sack who just shouldn't be driving a police car to begin with. In this case, seeing what I see in the pic, I'd turn to the officer and say...

"You're fired, here's ten bucks, get a cab home."

It would be an act of kindness, his peers will never let him live this down.

O's Fan Rich
12-09-2003, 07:57 AM
Is that a Pennsylvania State Trooper?

If they'd have marauders, the bigger tires may have helped him (or her, no sexism here!) float over that slippery surface!!

jgc61sr2002
12-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Sarge - The officer was driving in the PBA lane.:D

gilby04
12-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Sarge,
In your supervisory position, what's your personal opinion on the 80+mph rear end collisions resulting in the horrific fuel tank fires ?
Today's Detroit newspapers featured an article characterizing this issue as a serious, but fixable, design aberration.

woaface
12-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Looks like he came in from the grass, was this a joy ride or what?

jgc61sr2002
12-10-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by gilby04
Sarge,
In your supervisory position, what's your personal opinion on the 80+mph rear end collisions resulting in the horrific fuel tank fires ?
Today's Detroit newspapers featured an article characterizing this issue as a serious, but fixable, design aberration. I was a Police supervisor for 27 of my 35 years on the job. At that speed the survival rate is slim to none. With or with out a fire.:( The panther platform with the full perimeter frame is the strongest and safest vehicle on the market today. IMO.

woaface
12-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by jgc61sr2002
I was a Police supervisor for 27 of my 35 years on the job. At that speed the survival rate is slim to none. With or with out a fire.:( The panther platform with the full perimeter frame is the strongest and safest vehicle on the market today. IMO.

I saw somethin about that on the news...dateline or such.
One officer was hit (while stopped) by a Crown Vic taxi cab at 90 miles per hour. If it weren't for the fire, he would have survived with just a broken collar bone. Several other officers would have escaped in their accidents at similar rates of speed had the tank not caught on fire. Same for a family who had bought a retired P71 and landed it backwards into a tree...they were doin' interstate speeds but they were all trapt in the car.

Is it possible to make a system where only the locks on the doors fall off or apart or break in accidents to help assist trapt passengers? Just the locks, not the rest of the door...

SHERIFF
12-10-2003, 05:58 PM
Hate to interupt here..... but it wasn't a "HE" driving. It was a female trooper.

That should pretty well explain things.

:D

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=4baa7dd3-2060-6d2d-2432-648c2a7424fa&size=

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=96d63723-715b-77f5-626d-76ac4bce6950&size=

MapleLeafMerc
12-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Names like Buford T. Justice, Barney Fife, and Boss Hog come to mind here...

RCSignals
12-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by gilby04
Sarge,
Today's Detroit newspapers featured an article characterizing this issue as a serious, but fixable, design aberration.

Those horrific fires are no more horrific than any other vehicle fire, caused in a high speed high energy collision.

I saw the Detroit News article. there is nothing new in it. someone noticed this issue hasn't been in the NEWS for months, so figured they should revive it i guess. They have the time line dates wrong again, the figures are since 1982, not 1992.

RCSignals
12-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
I try to keep the punishment to a minimum when I can,

It's too bad you can't impose pack drill, defaulters parades, and "extra" duty.

jparrie
12-11-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by woaface
Is it possible to make a system where only the locks on the doors fall off or apart or break in accidents to help assist trapt passengers? Just the locks, not the rest of the door...

I would suspect that in most cases the locks are not the problem. The door frames become distorted when the body takes that hard of a hit, trapping the door(s) in the closed position.