PDA

View Full Version : Walked under the USS Roosevelt CVN-71

CBT
10-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Had a few minutes of free time earlier, called over to Amy's office and asked her if she wanted to walk under an aircraft carrier. Of course she was on it like a bad suit. So we went down into the drydock and saw the sights. Cut underneath through the blocks, came out the other side. Pretty wild!!

Blk Mamba
10-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Doesn't it get a little unnerving under there, knowing how much that thing weighs.

a_d_a_m
10-07-2010, 09:21 AM
I thought CVN was a banned abbreviation around here!

ShadyLurker
10-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Doesn't it get a little unnerving under there, knowing how much that thing weighs. I found the gate holding the water out to be the most unnerving thing when ever i was in the bottom of a drydock.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/nprkrs/DSCF0011.jpg

Egon Spengler
10-07-2010, 09:25 AM
How was the view under there?

Conversations between Case and people at work...
http://cyncity.typepad.com/cyn_city/images/2007/07/02/thatswhatshesaid.jpg

SC Cheesehead
10-07-2010, 10:16 AM

:laugh: Jocularity!

Haggis
10-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Photos or it didn't happen.

CBT
10-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Doesn't it get a little unnerving under there, knowing how much that thing weighs.

You'd think it would smash those blocks like us stepping on a crouton. The blocks are only about 4 feet high, you have to duck to go under the ship.

View is incredible, and this picture is pretty much just like me at work, lol.

CBT
10-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Not the Roosevelt on blocks, this is the CVN-77 (Daddy Bush), but it gives you an idea of what it looks like on blocks.

The Bush left here a few months back. The Gerald Ford is being built now.

knine
10-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Amazing. The whole thing. The size of the ship, the blocks, that Amy would be seen in public with you....simply amazing. :rolleyes:

CBT
10-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Photos or it didn't happen.

No cameras or phones that can take pictures allowed. :mad:

Amazing. The whole thing. The size of the ship, the blocks, that Amy would be seen in public with you....simply amazing. :rolleyes:

Gosh I miss you :P

SpartaPerformance
10-07-2010, 01:23 PM
WOW! That would be one helluva view

Egon Spengler
10-07-2010, 02:15 PM
No cameras or phones that can take pictures allowed. :mad:

Gosh I miss you :P
Have yet to see a pic of the women that calls you her b!tch.

Bluerauder
10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
I thought CVN was a banned abbreviation around here!

CV = Aircraft Carrier
N = Nuclear Powered
68-77 series (Nimitz Class)

Name Number Builder Homeport Unit Ordered Commissioned Stricken

Nimitz CVN-68 Newport News San Diego CRUDESGRU 5 31 Mar 1967 03 May 1975 2025

Dwight D. Eisenhower CVN-69 Newport News Norfolk CRUDESGRU 8 29 Jun 1970 18 Oct 1977 2027

Carl Vinson CVN 70 Newport News Norfolk CARGRU 3 05 Apr 1974 13 Mar 1982 2032

Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71 Newport News Norfolk CARGRU 8 30 Sep 1980 25 Oct 1986 2036

Abraham Lincoln CVN 72 Newport News Everett CRUDESGRU 3 27 Dec 1982 11 Nov 1989 2039

George Washington CVN 73 Newport News Yokusuka CRUDESGRU 2 27 Dec 1982 04 Jul 1992 2042

John C. Stennis CVN-74 Newport News Bremerton CARGRU 7 30 Jun 1988 09 Dec 1995 2045

Harry S Truman
[ex United States] CVN-75 Newport News Norfolk CARGRU 2 30 Jun 1988 25 Jul 1998 2048

Ronald Reagan CVN-76 Newport News San Diego 08 Dec 1994 12 Jul 2003 2052

George H.W. Bush CVN-77 Newport News Norfolk?? 03 Sep 1998 10 Jan 2009 2058

PICS of CVN-71 USS Theodore Roosevelt here >>>>> http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=altavista&va=CVN-71

guspech750
10-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Did you hold hands? Or was there a Spocker involved? http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:YN4Tiei-OWujgM:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SuLKmkMsXP4/R2oaUY4IfmI/AAAAAAAAAEc/UudR4h3yXVE/s400/spocker.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SuLKmkMsXP4/R2oaUY4IfmI/AAAAAAAAAEc/UudR4h3yXVE/s400/spocker.jpg&imgrefurl=http://chrisgunter.blogspot.com/2007/12/spocker.html&usg=__HJFwKqDuMaAt-QH_WpotZUmH3n4=&h=347&w=400&sz=16&hl=en&start=12&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=YN4Tiei-OWujgM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dspocker%26hl%3Den %26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1)

We need details of what you two did under there.

Mr. Man
10-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I know who Chester Nimitz was but who are Carl Vinson and John Stennis? I thought Carriers were named after President's.

Bluerauder
10-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I know who Chester Nimitz was but who are Carl Vinson and John Stennis? I thought Carriers were named after President's.

John Stennis "The ship was christened on 11 November 1993, in honor of Senator John Cornelius Stennis (D-Mississippi) of who served in the Senate from 1947 to 1989".

A member of the United States House of Representatives for fifty years, Carl Vinson was, for twenty-nine years, the Chairman of the House Naval Affairs and Armed Services Committee

Vortex
10-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Sen. Stennis was one of the VIPs at the commissioning of my second ship, DD-978 USS Stump In Pascagoula, MS. He was an old man in 1978 but I think he still headed the Senate Armed Services Committee. I dont think carriers should be named for Vinson and Stennis but maybe support ships of some type. IMHO carriers should be either historically significant naval ship names (Hornet, Yorktown ect...) or important presidents and no offense but G. Bush Sr doesnt quite rate it either in my opinion (though a smaller ship sure). Reagan maybe. Truman probably, WWII and Korea. The Stennis and Bush were named after living people, another rule breaker. I still remember the USS Roosevelt CV-42 in Mayport back in the mid-70's, nicknamed the "Rusty Rosy".

Joe Walsh
10-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Sen. Stennis was one of the VIPs at the commissioning of my second ship, DD-978 USS Stump In Pascagoula, MS. He was an old man in 1978 but I think he still headed the Senate Armed Services Committee. I dont think carriers should be named for Vinson and Stennis but maybe support ships of some type. IMHO carriers should be either historically significant naval ship names (Hornet, Yorktown ect...) or important presidents and no offense but G. Bush Sr doesnt quite rate it either in my opinion (though a smaller ship sure). Reagan maybe. Truman probably, WWII and Korea. The Stennis and Bush were named after living people, another rule breaker. I still remember the USS Roosevelt CV-42 in Mayport back in the mid-70's, nicknamed the "Rusty Rosy".

+1!

I couldn't agree more.

Maybe name them after war heroes rather than Senators who were in Washington wayyyyy too long. :shake:

BTW: I thought that CV = Carrier Vessel...:dunno:

CBT
10-08-2010, 05:06 AM
This was the third carrrier I walked under. The first was the Forrestal, second was the Gerorge Washington, now Roosevelt.

Other carriers I've been on, but not under:
Saratoga
Stennis
Enterprise
Lexington
Truman
Bush
Vinson

The Ford is under construction, I'll be going under it soon. It might seem gay or corny, but not everyone can say they have set foot on a floating national asset, much less walked under one. The most expensive 4.5 acres of sovereign American territory you can walk on is the flight deck of one of these big gray ass-kickers.

Joe Walsh
10-08-2010, 05:24 AM
It's hard to imagine the weight load placed on those 4 foot blocks, and that the bottom of the hull doesn't buckle from all of the carrier's concentrated weight.

What are the blocks made out of?
How do they place them under the ship?

CBT
10-08-2010, 05:59 AM
It's hard to imagine the weight load placed on those 4 foot blocks, and that the bottom of the hull doesn't buckle from all of the carrier's concentrated weight.

The blocks used to be just wood :eek:, now they are a combo of 3/4 concrete and topped with wood cut to fit the curve of the hull or whatever particular spot it lands on. And even after doing it for the third time, it still causes the hair on the back of my neck to stand up thinking about all that steel. If it ever dropped, we'd be like bugs hitting a windshield.
They line them up with laser sights now, but same old surveyor know-how is used. The blocks are under water, they line the ship up over them, and pump the water out very slowly until the ship settles on the blocks. Amazing stuff.

knine
10-08-2010, 07:07 AM
This was the third carrrier I walked under. The first was the Forrestal, second was the Gerorge Washington, now Roosevelt.

Other carriers I've been on, but not under:
Saratoga
Stennis
Enterprise
Lexington
Truman
Bush
Vinson

The Ford is under construction, I'll be going under it soon. It might seem gay or corny, but not everyone can say they have set foot on a floating national asset, much less walked under one. The most expensive 4.5 acres of sovereign American territory you can walk on is the flight deck of one of these big gray ass-kickers.
You've been on or under a lot of men there sailor.

CBT
10-08-2010, 07:08 AM
You've been on or under a lot of men there sailor.

KA-POW !!

Yeah, I know my way around seamen.

Vortex
10-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Isnt the Ford the lead carrier of a new smaller class? Read that someplace. Another inappropriate name for a carrier by the way IMHO. Its clear these things get named by the political party that happens to control congress at the time (with no thought to Naval tradition). Maybe next we will get the USS Pelosi or the USS Gingrich. What a joke (except as a Navy vet Im not laughing). Here are some suggestions: Boxer, Wasp, Lexington, Franklin, Intrepid, Midway, United States, Constellation ect....

Bluerauder
10-08-2010, 07:44 AM

You just have to spread the weight over a bigger area, like with the tracks on a tank. Here's some numbers below ....

CVN-71

Displacement: 117,200 short tons
Length Overall: 1092 feet
Length at Waterline: 1040 feet

Typical Portland Cement concrete has a compressive strength of 3,000 psi.

Theoretically, that ship requires a bearing area of 78,133.3 square inches on concrete. That's equivalent to 542.6 square feet of bearing surface. Assuming a length of keel equal to the length at waterline is 1,040 feet, that means the total ship could bear on an area 6 and 1/4 inches wide by 1,040 feet. There is probably a safety factor of many-fold on these numbers for practical use.

Special concrete is available that has compressive strengths of 5,000 psi, 10,000 psi, 15,000 psi, 20,000 psi and probably more now. That stuff is very expensive compared to regular PC concrete and is used in special applications such as the Petronas Towers in Indonesia.

Wood on the other hand has a lower compressive strength (use is perpendicular to the grain as in posts). Strength varies with the type wood: Hickory is about 1500 psi, White Ash is 1160 psi, Maple is about 1000 psi, and Pine is down around 440 psi. Cross grain is significantly lower.

Using these numbers, that 1040 foot long support could bear on 12.5 inches of Hickory, 18.75 inches of Maple, 16.2 inches of White Ash, 17.5 inches of White Oak, or 42.6 inches of White Pine. So those 4 foot (48 inches) blocks could be made out of White Pine .... but I doubt it .... more likely a firm hardwood like Oak, Hickory or Ash providing a good measure of safety.

Again, there is likely a sizeable safety factor that is standard for use.

Probably more than you wanted to know; but my calculator needed to be warmed up this morning so ...... Ther Ya Go. :D

CBT
10-08-2010, 08:04 AM

Stennis and Vinson died before the ships were commissioned if that helps any.
I agree tho, how some of these knuckleheads get a ship named after them is outrageous. And you damn well better believe Obama will get a carrier, no matter what legacy he leaves.
I liked when Bob Hope got a ship named after him, that was fitting, if anyone cares to look into it or is a Bob Hope fan. And he was alive.