PDA

View Full Version : The Cannonball Run

bob35222
12-09-2003, 08:24 AM
I remember those days, what a great race with great cars. Didn't one group of guys race in a really hot van with a keg of beer in back?

This, to my mind, would be a great event to run a Marauder in.

Enjoy: Cannonball (http://www.usanetwork.com/series/cannonball2001/)

Mad1
12-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Ah the good ole' Cannonball Run!

That van you're thinking of is the ambulance used in the movie. (It was also the actual van used in the race, not a Hollywood replica.)

The ambulance basically had a giant engine, a gigantic gas tank with four nozzle holes for quick fill-ups, and could run over 150+ mph.

Just for fun, I netflixed the Cannonball Run a few weeks ago. It was worth it to hear the audio commentary in the background ... chock full of behind the scenes stuff and little-known facts. I won't spoil them all, but here's a few gems...

The almost-was TV series staring Terry Bradshaw and Mel Tillis's characters from the movie. ;(

Jackie Chan's first U.S. picture appearance.

Roger Moore's appearance was just one musical note away from a lawsuit and birthed a new contract clause for every future Bond actor.

So like Deano said, "Watch out for the blimp ... Dant dant Da! and he kicks your ass."

Jeremy
Mad1

CRUZTAKER
12-09-2003, 04:55 PM
rear view mirror?....It's not important what's behind me....

The last 100 miles to Ennis was kinda like that....but no one was passing each other:D

Bigdogjim
12-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
rear view mirror?....It's not important what's behind me....

The last 100 miles to Ennis was kinda like that....but no one was passing each other:D

Yeah! That was fun :lol:

After 3 days of looking at big black cars in the sideview mirrors I just wanted to get their :):):)

NOMARQUIS
12-11-2003, 03:33 PM
There was a van. A blue one. It had a huge gas tank in the back to minimize fill-ups. The best was when JJ (Burt Reynolds) and Captian Chaos (Dom DeLuise?) landed an airplane in town to get beer. I also liked Dom walking to the ambulance with a big gulp Dr. Pepper and a grocery bag, singing, "I'm a Pepper. He's a Pepper. She's a Pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?" Remember that cheezy 80's slogan?

Eric

Hemlock
12-11-2003, 03:51 PM
BROCK YATES (SR. WRITER FOR CAR /DRIVER) HAS A NEW BOOK OUT ABOUT HIS RIDE WITH GURNEY IN THE WINNING CAR . THEY SET THE RECORD , THAT STOOD FOR ALL THE RACES AFTERWARD. ITS A GREAT READ !! CHEERS!!