PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Caprice 9C1

RF Overlord
10-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Sorry if this is a repost, but I hadn't heard about this until today.

Chevy is bringing back the Caprice in a 9C1 (Police) configuration for 2011. So what, you say? How about the fact that it has a 6.0 V8 with 365 HP? Again so what? How about if that 365HP is RWD? Yes, you read that right...REAR WHEEL drive. NOW are you interested?

Considering that, over all, LEOs are underwhelmed with the Charger, this may bring Chevy back as the premier cop-car supplier for the first time in more than 30 years. Let's face reality: wrong-wheel drive sucks just as much for cop-cars as it does for everything else, so Impalas just don't cut it.

Although it's a rebadged Holden, like the GTO was, I think the new Caprice is WAY better looking than the GTO (and the G8). The even better news is that Chevy is seriously re-considering its decision to make this a fleet-only car and there's a strong possibility that it may be sold to civilians as well now.

I am cautiously optimistic that FINALLY there may be an AMERICAN car I would consider buying as a replacement for the Marauder, if that time ever comes. The Challenger would be a close second, but I think the Aussies know how to build performance cars better than FIAT does.

P.S.: PLEASE. No "Government Motors" bashing in this thread...I just think it's exciting that the American V8 RWD sedan is not dead yet, no matter who is building it.

P.P.S. No, I didn't forget the Cadillac CTS-v, I just wouldn't buy it...it looks like a snow plow.

Ken
10-08-2010, 09:40 AM
How is a rebadged Holden an American car?

Ken

CBT
10-08-2010, 09:41 AM
no pics, what up?

FormulaMarauder
10-08-2010, 09:47 AM
http://tysongamblin.files.wordpress.c om/2009/10/2011-chevrolet-caprice-police-car.jpg

RF Overlord
10-08-2010, 10:00 AM
How is a rebadged Holden an American car?Good point.

Holden is owned by GM, though not sold here as a brand.

What I was trying to say was that now I have something other than BMW/Mercedes/Audi to consider in the "RWD-performance-sedans-that-aren't-hideous-looking" category.

FordNut
10-08-2010, 10:05 AM
If it is offered to the general public, that's great news. Maybe GM is learning from Ford's earlier decisions, and Ford is moving in the direction of GM's previous mistakes.

Remember when GM decided to drop all their RWD platforms and go with a "global platform" with wrong wheel drive (WWD) and V6 engines?

RF Overlord
10-08-2010, 10:17 AM
no pics, what up?Pix and Specs (http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/pdfs/Caprice-Vehicle-Technical-Manual.pdf)

RF Overlord
10-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Remember when GM decided to drop all their RWD platforms and go with a "global platform" with wrong wheel drive (WWD) and V6 engines?:shake: Thanks for dredging up that painful memory...

DOOM
10-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Ford needs to bring out the INTERCEPTOR.

SC Cheesehead
10-08-2010, 10:22 AM
No, I didn't forget the Cadillac CTS-v, I just wouldn't buy it...it looks like a snow plow.

Albeit a 556 hp snow plow... ;)

69428SCJ
10-08-2010, 10:27 AM
That has a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds and is the world's fastest production sedan in the world :D

CBT
10-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Bring back the Marauder!!:) No? FML....:alone:

Rockettman
10-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Although you are completely correct to be excited about the RWD sedan NOT disappearing from the landscape...
I just don't like the car. It looks like everything else. The Crown Vic / Grand Marquis / Marauer didn't. The Magnum / Charger / 300C don't. What sets it apart?

Ok its got a strong engine. Now that auto makers have figured out how to get real power out of a powerplant without the giant size of cubic inhces, it won't be long before tons of cars have these strong engines. Ever heard of the 2011 Ford Flex?

I'm not bashing it becaue it's Government Motors...this one just fails for me. :down: :down:

SC Cheesehead
10-08-2010, 10:43 AM
There still ain't no substitute for cubic inches... ;) ------> :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JmQ73MRhJM&feature=related

CBT
10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
.....tempting.....

SC Cheesehead
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
.....tempting.....

"Too much fun whats that mean
It's like too much money, theres no such thing
It's like a girl too pretty, with too much class
Being too lucky, a car too fast..."

Rockettman
10-08-2010, 10:48 AM
There still ain't no substitute for cubic inches...

That's what she said !

(beat you to it CBT!)

RF Overlord
10-08-2010, 11:01 AM
It looks like everything else. The Crown Vic / Grand Marquis / Marauder didn't. The Magnum / Charger / 300C don't. What sets it apart?I grant you that the Marauder IS better looking. I also grant you that the Dodge Boys entries are "different" ;) :D

I guess I'm more excited that the Caprice is undergoing a "rebirth", if you will. The older (late '70s and mid '90s) Caprice/Impala 9C1 police packages were every bit as good and rugged as the CVPI, and were decent looking as well. I'm glad it's being brought back with the same level of performance and fitness for the job, unlike the wrong-wheel drive Impala that was little more than a tarted-up civilian car.

(...AND that I wouldn't be embarrassed to own one, regardless if it's the "fastest production sedan in the world")

rayjay
10-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Probably have to put it up as soon as it starts snowing just like the Chargers.

FordNut
10-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Y'know they're supposed to be putting a 6.1L in the Raptor...

SC Cheesehead
10-08-2010, 11:22 AM

Oh yeah! http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:qCEtTjOB_vZJGM:ht tp://www.wpclipart.com/smiley/alien_smiley/smiley_green_alien_drooling.pn g (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wpclipart.com/smiley/alien_smiley/smiley_green_alien_drooling.pn g&imgrefurl=http://www.wpclipart.com/smiley/alien_smiley/smiley_green_alien_drooling.pn g.html&usg=__iPmQPlAS9zhxDHj_w_9B-vII7yo=&h=165&w=129&sz=8&hl=en&start=10&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=qCEtTjOB_vZJGM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=77&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddrooling%2Bsmiley %26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R 2GPEA_en%26tbs%3Disch:1)

MERCMAN
10-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Comes with 292 gears?? HMMMM

RF Overlord
10-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I was thinking the same thing, Dan...but there are 2 mitigating factors.

1) A six-speed transmission.
2) A 6 litre engine with 384 TQ.

Remember, too, that it's going to be sold as a "pursuit" vehicle, so top speed is more important than acceleration.

clintons4
10-08-2010, 12:44 PM

I thought ford was making a 6.2?:confused:

FordNut
10-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I thought ford was making a 6.2?:confused:

Sorry, wrong key...

Wonder if the 6.2 will fit in a Marauder?

Mac-MerC
10-08-2010, 01:14 PM
How do u think that car looks better than the G8?.... seriously....
they took a G8 and made it bland as hell
Caprice = Bland/simplified G8. i think the G8 looks sexy as hell, sometimes i wish i would have gotten one instead of my Marauder.
i plan on getting one when i pay off the MM

but atleast it is rear wheel drive. and u know ppl love to put big ass rims on caprices so you all should b prepared to see the them on 24" 26" 28" rims

SC Cheesehead
10-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Caprice = Bland/simplified G8. i think the G8 looks sexy as hell, sometimes i wish i would have gotten one instead of my Marauder.
i plan on getting one when i pay off the MM

but atleast it is rear wheel drive. and u know ppl love to put big ass rims on caprices so you all should b prepared to see the them on 24" 26" 28" rims

Yeah, can't wait... ;)

Crown Vicman
10-08-2010, 01:27 PM
How did you come to the conclusion that this car looks better than a gto? Looks no different than a impala or malibu. You can buy one but it will never replace a supercharged marauder. Looks like GM tried to copy a charger and failed. All it needs is a dodge grill.

gdsqdcr
10-08-2010, 01:45 PM
.....tempting.....

O come on ... just say it!

RF Overlord
10-08-2010, 02:52 PM

How did you come to the conclusion that this car looks better than a gto?

I dislike the Pontiac "kidney-bean" grille and front-end treatment. I'm not knocking the cars themselves, just the styling. Too rounded...too much like most Japanese marques. I prefer angles and straight lines...like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BMW_840_Ci_1.jpg) and this (http://www.astonmartins.com/v8/lagonda_series_2.htm)... (especially the second link...now THAT'S the car Lady Penelope should have driven...) :drool:

RoyLPita
10-08-2010, 02:55 PM

The Raptor has this as an optional motor. It will be standard for 2011. It will also be standard on the Harley Davidson F150, F250, and F350.

LIGHTNIN1
10-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Bring back the Marauder!!:) No? FML....:alone:

I just don't like the styling. Don't want one. Just my preference, sure they will sell some. Too boring like a Checker Cab.

Bigdogjim
10-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Well RF I agree 100% it is step in right direction:up:

Chevy steps up as Ford get ready to pull the plug on the Crown Vic police cars?

logix7
10-08-2010, 05:11 PM
dont see how it looks better than a G8 seeing how it IS ONE

but the g8 looks WAAAY better

FormulaMarauder
10-08-2010, 05:18 PM
It's not supposed to look HAWT. It's a cookie cutter cop car without bells and whistles. Hopefully the civilianized version has some ground effects, nice hood and sweet ass.

guspech750
10-08-2010, 07:47 PM
GM did it right.

wht02lightning
10-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Im sorry but the Lagonda was one the most ugly cars ever. As for the new Caprice Chevy dropped it and handed the cop car market to Ford, on a silver platter, now a few years later Ford dusts off that silver platter and hands it right back. The auto industry is just plain broken. Im sick of them telling me what I want in a car. I dont need the damned car to talk to my cell phone, or tell me how to get to work, or have an airbag at my ankle, elbow, ears and everywhere else they put them. Maybe if they just made cars, not rolling Ipods they wouldnt cost 35k. Not to mention how they will be in a few years, I wouldnt use a 1st gen Ipod if someone gave it to me, I see much the same with used cars in 20 years............rant over..... sorry

Motorhead350
10-08-2010, 10:15 PM
The more time goes by, the uglier American cars get, yet the better they perform. Sad, very sad indeed.

The uglier a Caddy is the faster it'll go. I guess that's why the most attractive Caddy's were made in the 50's and 60's. :bigcry:

hotford
10-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Sorry that car is UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!
I will spend the extra and get the CADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-09-2010, 12:38 AM
If Ford wanted to dominate the market here, they would re-design the Crown Victoria and Lincoln Town Car, and they would bring some FPV vehicles like the Falcon, F6, GT.

Everyone do yourself a favor and go on here to look at the sweetness we are missing out on, http://www.fpv.com.au/index.aspx

Vortex
10-09-2010, 07:30 AM
A very good car but not really suitable for police work. Notice no interior photos. Thats because it has a console shifter instead of a column shifter. They werent able to reengineer that on this car (yet). What that means is the center area between the seats is smaller for radios ect... Secondly, this car is made in Australia for now. After heavy use they will have problems getting replacement parts for suspensions/bodies/interiors (engines/trans are US sourced, no issues there). I think now that Ford is trying to peddle the Taurus again as a police car (unsuitable drivetrain) this practically gives the market to Chrysler.

RF Overlord
10-09-2010, 10:42 AM
At no time did I imply that the new Caprice was the ultimate driving experience nor did I imply that it is the prettiest car ever designed.

My point was that Chevy stepped up where Ford dropped the ball and brought back a correct-wheel drive performance sedan that is suitable for police use, has a good chance of being sold to civilians, AND is not unpleasant to look at.

kernie
10-09-2010, 11:44 AM
http://www.velocityshow.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Chevrolet-Caprice-Police-Patrol-Vehicle-2011-Front-Side-575x383.jpg (http://www.velocityshow.net/2011-chevrolet-caprice-police-patrol-vehicle/)

Looks like a corolla to me,

:beer:

CBT
10-09-2010, 01:32 PM
At no time did I imply that the new Caprice was the ultimate driving experience nor did I imply that it is the prettiest car ever designed.

My point was that Chevy stepped up where Ford dropped the ball and brought back a correct-wheel drive performance sedan that is suitable for police use, has a good chance of being sold to civilians, AND is not unpleasant to look at.

I agree except for the looks part. It just looks....plain. Ford has so many F-150's and Mustangs on the road you can't throw a rock without hitting one. Chevy has old Caprices and boxy Impalas all over. I'm not a Ford fan, but I'd pick the truck or the 'stang over the Chevy's, sadly.