PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's opinion

thathotrodlincn
10-11-2010, 07:06 AM
This is a general question to all. We were at a local (50 miles away) car show. We won trophies for both That Hot Rod Lincoln and The Black Tuxedo. However, the show organizers awarded the "Oldest Car" trophy to a '23 Ford T-bucket kit car. There were other old ('30s) original body cars there. I do not understand how a recently built kit car can be elegible for the "oldest" category over an original body car. Opinions please. :confused:

CBT
10-11-2010, 07:13 AM
This is a general question to all. We were at a local (50 miles away) car show. We won trophies for both That Hot Rod Lincoln and The Black Tuxedo. However, the show organizers awarded the "Oldest Car" trophy to a '23 Ford T-bucket kit car. There were other old ('30s) original body cars there. I do not understand how a recently built kit car can be elegible for the "oldest" category over an original body car. Opinions please. :confused:

Maybe the frame was original?

CBT
10-11-2010, 07:13 AM
And way to go for the trophies! :beer:

thathotrodlincn
10-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Maybe the frame was original?

As far as I could tell, there was not a single bolt, nut, or washer that was original. Blown big block Chev drag car. Bicycle tires wheels iun front huge tires in back. Not streetable.

secretservice
10-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Judging fail in my opinion. It should be titled as the correct year to be eligible. I'm betting that car has a "handbuilt" or some other form of funky title, and I bet it's not dated (the car) in the 20's.

CBT
10-11-2010, 07:43 AM
As far as I could tell, there was not a single bolt, nut, or washer that was original. Blown big block Chev drag car. Bicycle tires wheels iun front huge tires in back. Not streetable.
Then I would say no, it should not be in the "old" catagory.

fastblackmerc
10-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Big FAIL on the judge's / judging part.

Coming to Wilmington this Saturday?

secretservice
10-11-2010, 08:05 AM
That would be like building a Factory Five Cobra replica and titling it as a '66. If you built it in 2010, you should be titling it as a 2010 Hand-built.

Egon Spengler
10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Definitely not right. Oldest car, not new rendition of old car. I would be rippin' if I had the oldest car and they gave it to a kit!

Mr. Man
10-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Should have been in the street rod catagory

Bluerauder
10-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Should have been in the street rod catagory

Most of the bigger shows that I have seen have a "Kit Car" category. If this car was indeed a kit car, it should not compete straight up with older cars. So, it really depends on how the categories were managed.

Krytin
10-11-2010, 03:59 PM
That would be like building a Factory Five Cobra replica and titling it as a '66. If you built it in 2010, you should be titling it as a 2010 Hand-built.

Hey now -let's not get personal there. I would love to build a FF Daytona Coupe and run it in a vintage race!! Most race cars are rebuilt so many times that they can hardly be considered "original".
Of course it would have to be built around me! LOL

But I agree on the car show criteria - new construction vehicles made with all new parts should not be judged an a par w/original cars.

CBT
10-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey now -let's not get personal there. I would love to build a FF Daytona Coupe and run it in a vintage race!! Most race cars are rebuilt so many times that they can hardly be considered "original".
Of course it would have to be built around me! LOL

But I agree on the car show criteria - new construction vehicles made with all new parts should not be judged an a par w/original cars.

I hear ya. :beer: