PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to interchage window switches?

Egon Spengler
10-12-2010, 01:28 PM
My window switch went on my drivers side panel a while ago, so I got the whole thing with all 4 window switches and saved the old one. Now, my passenger side window switch on the passenger door panel will only work up, but not down. Is there a way to dissect the drivers side switches I saved and use one of them on the passenger panel? That way I wouldn't have to buy a whole new one with the door lock switch? Just put a new switch on the panel? If so, how in depth is it? I have good electrical skills including soldering, so any advice and instruction would help!

Thanks guys!

Rocknthehawk
10-12-2010, 01:34 PM
tom, i think i have an extra single switch, i'll go check and let you know, it worked, but its been sitting, so no idea if it's any good. i can drop it off at your work tomorrow afternoon if i find it

Egon Spengler
10-12-2010, 03:30 PM
tom, i think i have an extra single switch, i'll go check and let you know, it worked, but its been sitting, so no idea if it's any good. i can drop it off at your work tomorrow afternoon if i find it
sounds good buddy! Thanks!

F8LBITEva
10-12-2010, 03:57 PM
So you want to take a single switch from the quad unit and install it on the passenger side? If so it wont work because the quad switch isnt 4 single switches in one housing, I think they share an electronic board.

Egon Spengler
10-12-2010, 04:04 PM
So you want to take a single switch from the quad unit and install it on the passenger side? If so it wont work because the quad switch isnt 4 single switches in one housing, I think they share an electronic board.
I know that. That is why I was asking if it could be done with me being knowledgeable about soldering. If you are right then oh well. I will just have to buy the switch. Do CV or GM switches work on the passenger side?

fastblackmerc
10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
I know that. That is why I was asking if it could be done with me being knowledgeable about soldering. If you are right then oh well. I will just have to buy the switch. Do CV or GM switches work on the passenger side?

They are the same.

Egon Spengler
10-13-2010, 05:25 AM
They are the same.
Thank you sir!

Paul T. Casey
10-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Most of the time if you just spray them dowm good with a good electronic cleaner they will still work. I've had to do this a few times already. The switches corrode, and you need to knock the oxide off.

Egon Spengler
10-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Most of the time if you just spray them dowm good with a good electronic cleaner they will still work. I've had to do this a few times already. The switches corrode, and you need to knock the oxide off.
I have some MAF cleaner, so I will spray it down with that and see what happens! Again, Thank you!

Paul T. Casey
10-13-2010, 07:14 AM
I have some MAF cleaner, so I will spray it down with that and see what happens! Again, Thank you!

Use the stuff for computer keyboards.

Egon Spengler
10-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Use the stuff for computer keyboards.
Oh! Ok! I have some of that here at work. Will go out on my lunch and spray it down.

fastblackmerc
10-13-2010, 07:56 AM
I'd ONLY use electrical contact cleaner. Anything else may melt the plastic components.

Rocknthehawk
10-13-2010, 09:11 AM
i found my extra switch, i'll swing by a little after 4 and drop it off. if it doesn't work, you can throw it out!

Egon Spengler
10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
i found my extra switch, i'll swing by a little after 4 and drop it off. if it doesn't work, you can throw it out!
Sounds good! Thanks!

Egon Spengler
10-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks to Aaron (Rocknthehawk) for dropping a window switch off to my office. I tried it in the door and I have the same issue. Passenger window control on the driver's panel works up and down just fine, but the passenger's switch only works in the up position. Could I have two bad switches, or is there another issue? If so, what could it be?

Thanks!

Big thanks to Aaron for dropping the switch off. You have been extremely helpful lately! The bed frame works great too by the way! Thanks!

Rocknthehawk
10-13-2010, 06:40 PM
could still be a dead switch Tom. Try swapping one from the rear doors and check again.

Egon Spengler
10-14-2010, 05:33 AM
could still be a dead switch Tom. Try swapping one from the rear doors and check again.
Jeez... I was so busy and my head was spinning yesterday, so I didn't even think of that! haha. I am usually car savvy, I swear!

Egon Spengler
10-20-2010, 12:43 PM
UPDATE: I found out that the switch I had and the switch I replaced it with from Rocknthehawk we both bad. I took the two switches apart and cleaned the contacts and tested both the switches and they both work great! So now I have an extra switch for back up! I am going to post a thread on a how to clean the contacts with directions on how to take the switch itself apart. The contacts get gummed up and just need to be cleaned of and put back in. Worked out well!