PDA

View Full Version : Music: my other hobby...

MrBluGruv
10-14-2010, 11:21 PM
I just recently finished my second album/major work of music, and I've uploaded a few songs to youtube so those that don't/can't get my CD can still listen to them if they like. I thought I'd share with the family. :)

I will give you this disclaimer though: if you don't like electronic/synthetic music, I can almost guarantee you won't like this stuff, save for maybe "A Moment of your Time":

stvMNMy-ROU

Jd2Yx6Avk-4

OGVxQV61qRk

I'd love to hear any thoughts you guys may have too, I like having feedback. :)

(except "techno sucks" and "I hate electronic music" :( )

boatmangc
10-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Cool Stuff! The first cut should be on a soundtrack.
The 2nd cut has similarities to the NIN Ghosts stuff
The 3rd cut sounds just like it's title.
Did you write and perform?
Pretty mature music for a 21 year old.
Thanks!

Pat
10-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Chis,

I liked the "speed/highway" song. It conveys a certain energy of moving fast.

Cool if your in a hurry to get somewhere. Sounds all melded together for a pleasing sensation.

Also, the first song," moment of time", soothes the jangled nerves. I would listen to it for unwinding or to aid my contemplation while driving on a trip.

I couldn't relate to the second song "hues and vectors". The sounds were to jumbled for my ear, I couldn't discern a theme.

Continue composing good buddy.

Regards,

Pat

illwood
10-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Thank you for this post, Chris. I enjoyed all three tracks and liked that each one had its own style and feel versus them all sounding the same.

This was a perfect listen for me this morning because I was already to listen to some Lo-Fidelity All-Stars.

The first track sounds like there is some Mannheim Steamroller influence, and the last one makes me think of Faithless.

As a fellow musician myself (mainly guitar and bass), what are you using for equipment for that? Are you using Sonar or Cubase or somethign similar? Is it all synthesized or do you have some recorded audio tracks or samples in there as well.

Thanks again and my only complaint is that there weren't more tracks to listen to.

secretservice
10-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Good stuff man! :beer: Like the last track a lot!

Zack
10-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Last track is pretty awesome....I suggest you sell it to The Blue Man Group, as it would be a perfect fit.

SAAAAAC
10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Where can we purchase your cd? I'm a fan.

BruteForce
10-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Try playing all three at the same time. :P:cool::D

SID210SA
10-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Great Stuff Chris...Were can I get a copy?

Egon Spengler
10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Are you afraid of it?

No, I just don't like techno.

You would if you had robot ears...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQw8G8IBnvA

secretservice
10-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Try playing all three at the same time. :P:cool::D

Holy epileptic seizure!

MrBluGruv
10-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Thank you for this post, Chris. I enjoyed all three tracks and liked that each one had its own style and feel versus them all sounding the same.

This was a perfect listen for me this morning because I was already to listen to some Lo-Fidelity All-Stars.

The first track sounds like there is some Mannheim Steamroller influence, and the last one makes me think of Faithless.

As a fellow musician myself (mainly guitar and bass), what are you using for equipment for that? Are you using Sonar or Cubase or somethign similar? Is it all synthesized or do you have some recorded audio tracks or samples in there as well.

Thanks again and my only complaint is that there weren't more tracks to listen to.

First off let me say, thank all you guys for the compliments. :) While it's no unusual for me to have at least a few people really dig my stuff, it's unusual that I find it to have broad appeal. It's a nice feeling as an artist. :)

But yeh, this is my setup right now:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i57/blugruv/P1010107.jpg

I use mostly software in my production, but my hardware kit is a Yamaha TG-33, a Roland V-Synth (thing is worth a healthy down payment for a car) and Roland JX-10 (Super JX), and a Korg microKorg. I occasionally mess with electric guitar, but I haven't really mastered the recording of that instrument with my setup yet so I haven't done too much with it. As for recording and mixing and arranging, I use a combination of a sequencer called "Computer Muzys" and a software from Magix called Audio Cleaning Lab. It makes for a very cheap effective solution, but Muzys requires a certain degree of knowledge to operate efficiently and creatively because it relies so heavily on MIDI data. I use software synths a lot too, my personal favorites being Spectrasonics Omnisphere, PlugsoundFree, GMedia Oddity, and the Korg Legacy Collection. I occasionally use my own software instruments that I've created, but oddly enough I can't find inspiration with them as often. They are great instruments, just never hardly use them.

Anyways, soudns like I need to get serious about distribution huh? :P I need to get a few things sorted in order to move on that, but I'll keep everyone posted for sure if you're interested. I'll even try to upload a few more songs from the cd that were of a more mellow/ambient nature so you can get a fuller idea of what all is on the disc.

Thanks again everyone, it really means a lot to me to hear praise like this about my work. :)

MrBluGruv
10-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Just wanted to update:

I'm now researching distribution through a site called CD Baby, they offer good return for me and a super-easy distribution network to sell through. Before I do that though, I'm going to apply for copyright on my CD so I'm covered. Looks like it'll probably be somewhere up to $100 to really get the ball rolling, but hopefully if I get the same feedback elsewhere as I did here then I'll have a lot of interested parties, enough to make it back and thensome.

-Matt-
10-17-2010, 10:04 PM
You ever dip into dubstep style? That last track would sound cool with a little bass wobble to it.

MrBluGruv
10-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Got restless this evening, so I decided to upload some of the more mellow and acoustic pieces from the album.

N2qTbV07Wcw

aGwzh-E4flU

kAjQaGA1jdk

RuKt5HmomQg

My personal favorites of the four are the first and last ones above, "Sweet Lips" and "Blue and Purple Glow". Sweet lips I think is self-explanitory (and meant in a wholesome way, thank you very much. ;) ), and Blue and Purple Glow ended up sounding like a song right out of an 80's movie soundtrack.

These are even more meant for thoughtfulness and contemplation than the first ones I posted, so if you enjoyed those, you'll probably really enjoy some of these. :)