PDA

View Full Version : Fan not blowing heat... Please clarify for me.

Egon Spengler
10-16-2010, 08:11 AM
I have heat seeping out of the vents, but it will not blow out the vents. Is this the EATC issue or the BCM (Blower Control Module) issue? I researched it, but I am confused as to which problem is which. I saw the install procedure for the BCM and also the one for the EATC o-ring fix, but I just want to make sure I have the problem pin pointed to one or the other before I start thrashing under the hood or in the dash board!

I appreciate the help guys!
:beer:

RoyLPita
10-16-2010, 08:32 AM
If the fan is not blowing at all, then it is a BCM. This could be a temperature blend door actuator problem.

Egon Spengler
10-16-2010, 03:00 PM
If the fan is not blowing at all, then it is a BCM. This could be a temperature blend door actuator problem.
I hear a creaking sound coming from under the passenger side of the dash board. Sounds like something opening and closing. I have pressed every button on the control (AC, DEF, etc) and I get no reaction when I slide the fan control up and down to adjust the fan speed. Just kind of trickles out of the vents.

fastblackmerc
10-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I hear a creaking sound coming from under the passenger side of the dash board. Sounds like something opening and closing. I have pressed every button on the control (AC, DEF, etc) and I get no reaction when I slide the fan control up and down to adjust the fan speed. Just kind of trickles out of the vents.

Does the fan sound like it's turning? Check under the hood (that's where the fan is located).

Egon Spengler
10-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Does the fan sound like it's turning? Check under the hood (that's where the fan is located).
Will check in the AM!

Marauderjack
10-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Unplug the fan power cord and jump it directly to the battery (polarity is not important) and it should run on HIGH.....be prepared!!:eek:

If it runs then the fan motor is OK and it is your BCM!!:cool: It's a little hard to get to but you can change it!! :beer:

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Unplug the fan power cord and jump it directly to the battery (polarity is not important) and it should run on HIGH.....be prepared!!:eek:

If it runs then the fan motor is OK and it is your BCM!!:cool: It's a little hard to get to but you can change it!! :beer:
Judging by what people have said, I think I am going to buy a BCM, but I may try this just to make sure! Thanks for the tip! If it's not one thing its another!

Cold ride in to work this morning! brrrr

CBT
10-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Judging by what people have said, I think I am going to buy a BCM, but I may try this just to make sure! Thanks for the tip! If it's not one thing its another!

Cold ride in to work this morning! brrrr

I think fastblackmerc cuts a deal on these before you go dropping major coin.

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 05:49 AM
I think fastblackmerc cuts a deal on these before you go dropping major coin.
Well he posted but didn't offer! LOL

I need it ASAP and I don't think these things are SUPER expensive. I could be wrong as I most usually am with this car! haha. I need this fixed soon because the rides to work are getting colder and colder and I want to nip this in the butt;) right now!

Zack
10-18-2010, 05:53 AM
If its the BCM spend the 10 bucks on a soldering iron, not a new BCM

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 05:56 AM
If its the BCM spend the 10 bucks on a soldering iron, not a new BCM
I have a soldering iron already. I saw the post with all the pics. Maybe I will take it apart and see what I can do. Money IS tight and wouldn't mind saving a couple bucks. At the same time, I heard it is hard to get to and really don't want to have to do it again if it is that hard to do!

Zack
10-18-2010, 05:57 AM
Its two 8 mm bolts and it takes 5 minutes to remove.
You will never get anything done in life if you listen to others complain about how hard something else is to do.

^^^^Wait for it.......

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 06:01 AM
Its two 8 mm bolts and it takes 5 minutes to remove.
You will never get anything done in life if you listen to others complain about how hard something else is to do.

^^^^Wait for it.......
I know. I saw one person say it took them 30 minutes and another said it took him 2 hours. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I figured I would be more closer to the 30 minute side of things. I will try what you said ZACKZILLAAAAA! I will take it out tonight;) and see what I can do with it;)

Zack
10-18-2010, 06:02 AM
I know. I saw one person say it took them 30 minutes and another said it took him 2 hours. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I figured I would be more closer to the 30 minute side of things. I will try what you said ZACKZILLAAAAA! I will take it out tonight;) and see what I can do with it;)

When I did Dom's BCM it looked as though nothing was wrong with it.

I heated up the solder joints, added a small bit of solder and it worked perfect after that.

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 06:05 AM
When I did Dom's BCM it looked as though nothing was wrong with it.

I heated up the solder joints, added a small bit of solder and it worked perfect after that.
OK! I will remove it QUICKLY tonight before I freeze and bring it into the house and dissect it. I just moved in to a new apt and need to remember where I put my soldering iron!

Zack can I have your number and book you a flight to come out here and fix my BCM for me??? hehehe:shake:

hwy73
10-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Lightly tap it with the butt-end of a screwdriver, it may tempoarily come to life until you can change it.

fastblackmerc
10-18-2010, 08:08 AM
I have a soldering iron already. I saw the post with all the pics. Maybe I will take it apart and see what I can do. Money IS tight and wouldn't mind saving a couple bucks. At the same time, I heard it is hard to get to and really don't want to have to do it again if it is that hard to do!

You'll need a big high heat iron since the tang coming through the PCB is big & thick.

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 08:17 AM
You'll need a big high heat iron since the tang coming through the PCB is big & thick.
Damn. I just have a run of the mill radio shack plug in iron and a butane iron as well.

I went out to my car and popped the hood and it doesn't look that hard to get at! I have had to get into tighter places with my wrench before!;)

fastblackmerc
10-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Damn. I just have a run of the mill radio shack plug in iron and a butane iron as well.

I went out to my car and popped the hood and it doesn't look that hard to get at! I have had to get into tighter places with my wrench before!;)

You can give it a try.

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 08:25 AM
You can give it a try.
Worth a shot I guess! Will get it out when I get home and see if I can find my soldering guns. May go out and buy solder, because I don't remember seeing it anywhere when I packed.

Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated!:beer:

Zack
10-18-2010, 08:31 AM
I fixed a BCM with a normal cheapo soldering iron.

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Unbelievable... Went out to car just now and LIGHTLY tapped the BCM with a screwdriver head and the thing fired right up! It is definitely the BCM! Now that I have it narrowed down, I can do the solder fix, because it seems that is the problem seeing as how a light tap triggered it back on!

Thanks guys! Will let you know how I fair and maybe take some pics for future marauders and post to the sticky

CBT
10-18-2010, 09:00 AM
lol, the ol' bang on it with something trick, crazy!

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
lol, the ol' bang on it with something trick, crazy!
Yeah! Thanks hwy73 for the quick advice! This is definitely going to be a temporary thing. Will get that joint soldered ASAP and be comfortably up and running without having to worry about it when the snow flies!

Man do I love this website! Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread!

Zack
10-18-2010, 09:27 AM
No problem, but had you used the search function......

LOL

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 09:43 AM
No problem, but had you used the search function......

LOL
The funny thing about your post is that I was going to thank everyone for cooperating and helping me out and not mentioning the search function! LOL. Oh well. Problem solved and I appreciates yours, and everyone else for the help!

Marauderjack
10-18-2010, 03:03 PM
My dealer guy said he smacked one on a GM from Canada and it was still working TWO YEARS later!!:eek: See how long it works before you pull it out!!:beer:

Egon Spengler
10-18-2010, 06:06 PM
My dealer guy said he smacked one on a GM from Canada and it was still working TWO YEARS later!!:eek: See how long it works before you pull it out!!:beer:
It worked all day today with no problem! haha. hmmmm. I think I will pull it and do the solder fix for peace of mind! I live in New England!