PDA

View Full Version : New computer needed

Leadfoot281
10-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I think my two year old HP Pavillion is about done for. It's currently loaded with viruses and is still spamming everyone I know with junk e-mails and still has severe overheating issues. I've run half a dozen different virus programs and nothing has helped.

Rather than walk into Best Buy and pay too much for something that has a bunch of crap I don't need, I'd rather build one. What I have, (and would like to keep) is an Antec 550 watt power supply, an Nvidia 9600gt card, and a Corsair H50 CPU cooler (liquid).

I'm not sure about what else I need. I use it to game a bit and surf the web. I could use some info on parts compatability mostly and anything else I might need to know to get it all up and running.

SpartaPerformance
10-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Want to avoid viruses and spam get a Mac! Started using them in 2000 haven't looked back since.

FordNut
10-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I got tired of the Microsoft related probems and went with a Mac. It works ok, but if I had it to do over again (i.e. next time) I'll go with Linux.

babbage
10-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I think my two year old HP Pavillion is about done for. It's currently loaded with viruses and is still spamming everyone I know with junk e-mails and still has severe overheating issues. I've run half a dozen different virus programs and nothing has helped.

Rather than walk into Best Buy and pay too much for something that has a bunch of crap I don't need, I'd rather build one. What I have, (and would like to keep) is an Antec 550 watt power supply, an Nvidia 9600gt card, and a Corsair H50 CPU cooler (liquid).

I'm not sure about what else I need. I use it to game a bit and surf the web. I could use some info on parts compatability mostly and anything else I might need to know to get it all up and running.

I can fix your computer - PM me if you want this to happen.

What are you doing with a liquid cpu cooler? Overclocker? That's overkill.
Need to know what kind and type of ram you have. DDR2 or DDR3, speed?
Is video card PCI express?

boatmangc
10-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Buy a Mac, never look back..
Hmm I rhymed.

MOTOWN
10-22-2010, 06:57 PM
sounds like you need your operating system re-instaled, after a hard drive format

TFB
10-22-2010, 07:07 PM
sounds like you need your operating system re-instaled, after a hard drive format

Yup...

IF you burned the recovery discs when the computer was new, the system can be reinstalled from those, or on some HP pressing F10 on boot will take you to the recovery partition... Be warned though, the computer will be returned to factory state, anything you have saved will be lost... What I've done is repl the hard drive and reinstall the operating system from the discs, then install the original drive as a slave so info pictures, music etc can be copied to the new HD...

MOTOWN
10-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Yup...

IF you burned the recovery discs when the computer was new, the system can be reinstalled from those, or on some HP pressing F10 on boot will take you to the recovery partition... Be warned though, the computer will be returned to factory state, anything you have saved will be lost... What I've done is repl the hard drive and reinstall the operating system from the discs, then install the original drive as a slave so info pictures, music etc can be copied to the new HD...

thats good advice! and will also fix your rig, and save you some duckets!:banana:

MrBluGruv
10-23-2010, 10:54 AM
lol, it never ceases to amaze me at how many people swear by macs purely because they think they are inherently immune to virii. :P

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i57/blugruv/untitled-2.jpg?t=1287856140

That is a list of parts I'd get for my comp, it includes literally everything you'd need to have a full system from scratch minus a copy of windows and a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive. Mobo has on-board 6 channel surround as well as onboard video which I'm pretty sure is actually more powerful than your 9600GT. If you go through the list, I'd say toss out of the list what you don't need and sell what you already have depending on what all you need and what all you want to keep from the stuff you have. This list is assuming you're running Windows XP though and that you only casually game. Vista or 7 will probably need more RAM, and more serious gaming will need more power than the onboard ATi card can probably push out. If nothing else, I hope the list can show you how easy it is to keep a low budget when building a well-functioning machine if nothing else.

dohc324ci
10-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Do your self a favor and do a system restore or format and reload your OS then buy an antivirus program like McaFee or Norton and keep it up to date. Also do a windows update frequently will keep your system secure.

babbage
10-23-2010, 11:22 AM
lol, it never ceases to amaze me at how many people swear by macs purely because they think they are inherently immune to virii. :P

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i57/blugruv/untitled-2.jpg?t=1287856140

That is a list of parts I'd get for my comp, it includes literally everything you'd need to have a full system from scratch minus a copy of windows and a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive. Mobo has on-board 6 channel surround as well as onboard video which I'm pretty sure is actually more powerful than your 9600GT. If you go through the list, I'd say toss out of the list what you don't need and sell what you already have depending on what all you need and what all you want to keep from the stuff you have. This list is assuming you're running Windows XP though and that you only casually game. Vista or 7 will probably need more RAM, and more serious gaming will need more power than the onboard ATi card can probably push out. If nothing else, I hope the list can show you how easy it is to keep a low budget when building a well-functioning machine if nothing else.

good list - I agree on the CPU - Asus also makes good boards.

Case is a little bit el chepo, get a good case like an Antec 300 - with no power supply he already has an 550w.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129 042
Note it has 5 egg rating and 2000+ reviews - these are all i buy.

Leadfoot281
10-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Yup...

Thanks for the help everyone!

I have an external HD and am considering doing this. Question, where the heck are these viruses at? I don't want to re-install them.

babbage
10-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the help everyone!

I have an external HD and am considering doing this. Question, where the heck are these viruses at? I don't want to re-install them.

Install new windows on new box. Install drivers do updates. Install and update a new A/V package like McAfee or AVG on new machine.

Make sure its all up to date first - THEN hook up your external drive and copy stuff across - then you don't get new machine infected.

FordNut
10-23-2010, 05:51 PM
First copy everything to the external drive, then either...

Install new windows on new box. Install drivers do updates. Install and update a new A/V package like McAfee or AVG on new machine.

Make sure its all up to date first - THEN hook up your external drive and copy stuff across - then you don't get new machine infected.

Or reformat the HD on your old computer, it's only 2 years old and the hardware should be fairly current. Then install the OS on the box. Then install McAfee. Then update everything. Then install the applications from the original CDs. Then update again so the applications get all the latest patches. Then copy the user files over from the external drive.

Now if you're like me and use dialup, forget it. You gotta go somewhere with high speed.

Vortex
10-24-2010, 06:30 AM
After my last pc got destroyed by a virus about 3 years back I bit the bullet and got Norton 360 (costs about $80 then another $80 every year) for my new pc. Have to say that since I got it Ive had zero problems with viruses since then and is worth the money IMHO.

sailsmen
10-24-2010, 07:40 AM
You can have updates, current anti virus and current anti spy and still get a virus that requires reformat.

I have had that at least 2 times. Fortunately I use Carbonite and recovered all the data.