PDA

View Full Version : so i was thinking about my winter storage options...

the fat bastid
12-11-2003, 03:37 PM
i decided against storing it. you guys all listed things you needed to do when storing a car and that got me to thinking about when my car was sitting on the lot. it sat for around 7 months in the outside lot of the dealer's. it only had 6 miles it ,the battery was dead, and the rotors were rusted. that makes me doubt that they even looked at it after they got it. so my question is which is true: new cars can sit for awhile and dont need any care at all OR what kind of damage did the dealer do. i figure its either or.

Dr Caleb
12-11-2003, 04:15 PM
If it's sitting, wear and tear is zero. You only have to worry about fluids going bad etc. Change them when you start it up again. But only in the weeks to a month time frame.

If you're going to store it for months to years, there is much more prep that has to be done so, for example, your motor isn't rusted. This used to happen quite a bit with older cars (iron block), I don't think it would be so bad for ours (aluminum block).

I drive my CV about 100 km during the spring/summer. I routinely leave it for a month without moving it, and the rotors are rusted too. Not to worry, one stop and they are all shiny again.

I doubt anything was wrong with it. Charge the battery back up, change the oil, fill the gas with fresh and you're off. I'd be more concerned about sun damaging the paint than mechanical.

RedMM
12-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Woaface has invited EVERYONE up north to park their MMs in his sunny and warm front yard for the winter!:eek:

Bigdogjim
12-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by RedMM
Woaface has invited EVERYONE up north to park their MMs in his sunny and warm front yard for the winter!:eek:

Great idea!:)

We could call him a week before we what to pick them up and he could wash and wax 'em:):):)

Good idea Red MM :lol::D

RedMM
12-11-2003, 05:52 PM
How many members do we have up north??? :baaa: Hopefully Woaface will have lots of icetea made so we can relax and enjoy that nice southern warm weather while he gets all those MMs detailed!:D