PDA

View Full Version : Song meanings

Motorhead350
10-26-2010, 01:41 AM
I just found a website called songfacts.com and I found a few funny things.

Most of us know about Dancing With Myself, Lola, Turning Japanese... means. Here are a few others you might not have know about.

Hold On I'm Coming by Sam and Dave...

While songwriter/producer David Porter was in the toilet, his songwriting partner Isaac Hayes yelled at him to hurry up so they could get back to work as he was frustrated at the lack of progress they had made that day. Porter responded, "Hold on man, I'm coming." The immediately inspired Porter quickly finished his business and excitedly told Hayes that "Hold On,I'm Coming" would be a great title for a song. Hayes has repeated this story in various interviews, including one with Reuters in 2005. (thanks, Edward Pearce - Ashford, Kent, England)

Blue Moon The Marcles version....

The Marcels recorded this at the last minute when they recorded three songs and needed a fourth. When one of the members said he knew "Blue Moon," producer Stu Phillips told him to teach the song to the rest of the group in an hour, then they'd record it.
The introduction to the song was an excerpt of an original song that the group had in its act - Phillips added it to "Blue Moon" to give it a flair that the group was lacking in their other songs.
The Marcels recorded this in 2 takes. A promotion man asked and got a copy of the finished tape, which found its way to legendary DJ Murray The K. He promoted it as an "exclusive," and played it 26 times on one show.

The Promised Land by Chuck Berry...

Berry wrote this when he was serving time in jail for transporting a girl across state lines for immoral purposes. He had to borrow an atlas of the US from the prison library to plot his hero's journey from Virginia to California.

Alright I know maybe four of you will care about this finding, but you four enjoy!