PDA

View Full Version : I'm really starting to like these

SC Cheesehead
10-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey guys,

I had a chance to ride in one of these over recently. Then I came across this ad:

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2006-volkswagen-phaeton-w12_awd_4~seater-used-2034045.html

Whatcha think? It's got me thinking...

Bluerauder
10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey guys,

I had a chance to ride in one of these over recently. Then I came across this ad:

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2006-volkswagen-phaeton-w12_awd_4~seater-used-2034045.html

OK AJ what have you done with Rex???? ;)

fastblackmerc
10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Buy American......

See here: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66912

Mr. Man
10-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Go check out the new Hyundai flagship(starts with an E)

Cheeseheadbob
10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Rex, if you buy it, you better set aside 100K. 75 for the car and 25 for all of the electrical issues associated with a very complex, over engineered German car. A friend of mine had a VW Phaeton V10, at least I think that is what it is called, maybe something different on this side of the pond, and it spent most of the first 6 months of its life in the shop and once he got it back it still did not perform properly. He literally was seconds away from burning it to the ground, not to commit insurance fraud, but to purge himself of the experience. Cooler heads prevailed and he just drove it off a cliff...:P

SC Cheesehead
10-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Rex, if you buy it, you better set aside 100K. 75 for the car and 25 for all of the electrical issues associated with a very complex, over engineered German car. A friend of mine had a VW Phaeton V10, at least I think that is what it is called, maybe something different on this side of the pond, and it spent most of the first 6 months of its life in the shop and once he got it back it still did not perform properly. He literally was seconds away from burning it to the ground, not to commit insurance fraud, but to purge himself of the experience. Cooler heads prevailed and he just drove it over a cliff...:P

Nien, it is not over-engineered, only PRECISE...:D

Reminds me of an old German joke I heard:

Q: Do you know why Germans build such high-quality products?

A: So they won't have to go around being nice while they fix them.

guspech750
10-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Those are one of the few imports I have liked. Sort of similar to the Audi A8. I wonder if the Phaeton has an aluminum body too.

Vortex
10-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I read someplace that VW lost money on every Phaeton; very well engineered but expensive to fix if broken. Basically an Audi A8 with a steel body.

Bigdogjim
10-26-2010, 08:09 PM

So what are thinking about? Not buying one I hope?

Think how many nice used marauders you could buy??

SC Cheesehead
10-27-2010, 05:21 AM
So what are thinking about? Not buying one I hope?

Think how many nice used marauders you could buy??

Well, I heard AJ's birthday was coming up...

LIGHTNIN1
10-27-2010, 07:04 AM
It is a nice looking car but I've heard the same about the car being expensive to fix.

rayjay
10-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Not a Phaeton, but my neighbor bought a new Audi A something recently and was showing it to me. I was like :eek: damn, that car had every gizzmo under the sun. Would not tell me what he paid for it as his nephew was the salesman, special family price. Quite the car though. He did buy the best extended warranty, smart man.

SC Cheesehead
10-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Well, I almost got my wish.

Kinda.

My rental car for the next two weeks is a VW.

Jetta.

:rolleyes:

BODYMAN
10-28-2010, 09:25 AM
If you by any new VW start a savings acct! for every time it goes in the shop, may only go in a few times but there are ALWAYS on the expensive side to fix.

SC Cheesehead
10-28-2010, 09:36 AM
If you by any new VW start a savings acct! for every time it goes in the shop, may only go in a few times but there are ALWAYS on the expensive side to fix.

farfegnugen: The German word for "Driving Pleasure."

Think I'll stick with American-made. ;)

BODYMAN
10-28-2010, 09:43 AM
farfegnugen: The German word for "Driving Pleasure."

Think I'll stick with American-made. ;)

+1 on that :beer:

rayjay
10-28-2010, 10:00 AM
We bought my sister inlaws VW Passat, really nice car from HELL. I got hurt everytime I touched that damn thing. -and- you are right, $$$ , as all hell to fix. I finally got smart and started taking it to my guys at Nilles FLM. At least my back side didn't hurt everytime I walked out of there after a repair and I didn't need a titainium butt plug walking in.