PDA

View Full Version : Fair Deal?

Flippy328
10-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Hey everyone, so I saw this marauder for sale on autotrader that looks really nice. 03 Silver, 50000 miles, white interior, looks very clean. I am going to talk to the dealer tomorrow hopefully and was wondering what you think a fair price is to start bargaining? 15 seems like a little much maybe around 13,500 or something. What do you guys think. Here is a link to the car.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=285988605&dealer_id=100012844&car_year=2003&rdm=1288443115775&model=MARAUDER&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=MERC&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DE SC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&sort_type=priceDESC&address=92804&advanced=&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=79&standard=false

jstevens
10-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Looks clean. If you get in final negotiations you may want to have someone that is very familiar with these cars with you.

Bluerauder
10-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Hey everyone, so I saw this marauder for sale on autotrader that looks really nice. 03 Silver, 50000 miles, white interior, looks very clean.

Probably Light Flint interior...... not white. Pretty rare. Only 178 of 417 '03 MMs in that color combo.

VIN = 2MEHM75V53X705093 ... Looks to be the younger twin brother of FreddieH's SB MM born 1-2 cars earlier (early June 2003).

Kelley Blue Book says $12,710 in Excellent condition with 50K miles. I also think the list price of $15,000 is a little high; but the car is only worth what you are willing to pay. Offer $11,500-12,500 and be willing to walk away. JMHO

SC Cheesehead
10-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Probably Light Flint interior...... not white.

^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^

If it's white, it's REALLY rare... ;)

RoyLPita
10-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Always get an OASIS report and if you are really serious, get Autocheck and Carfax reports.

TFB
10-30-2010, 06:25 AM
I believe that's the same one I talked to the owner about when I was looking back in Aug, at the time he was asking $12,000... He wasn't real interested in shipping so I didn't get much info but I remember he said it had the same size tires all the way around... Guessing he must have traded it on a different car...

J-MAN
10-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Nice, looks like it was well prepped. Ask RoyLPita to run an oasis report and get a carfax before you talk to the dealer. I'm sure that you know that the wheels are not chrome, but polished and clear coated forged aluminum. Be an informed buyer. Good advise on getting someone who is familiar with the Marauder to go with you. Good luck! Keep us advised.

MOTOWN
10-30-2010, 06:52 AM
thats a nice looking sb mm, depending on what the carfax reveals i would start at 11k, with 13k being tops if you realy want it.

just fyi the light flint interior is very rare! i looked hi, and lo couldnt find that combo any where.

TFB
10-30-2010, 07:11 AM
just fyi the light flint interior is very rare! i looked hi, and lo couldnt find that combo any where.
LOL seems every SB I looked at had the light flint, but yes in '03 there were 178 out of 417 produced with the light interior...

gdsqdcr
10-30-2010, 08:51 AM
For what it is worth, I just sold my 04 SB with a light flint interior. 40k miles, minor mods (tune, cut coils, exhaust, addco's) for 15k.

guspech750
10-30-2010, 09:31 AM
I say if the car checks out great. I say buy it. If you can get it lower great. If not. You will still have an awesome rare car. Im a believer in if you really want it and the car is in great shape. Im willing to over pay a little. I know I over payed a little for mine but I do not regret it. I got myself a MM with light flint and had only 24,000 miles almost two years ago.

rayjay
10-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Just something to consider. Cars, as houses, sell for different prices in different parts of the country. Not as big a difference, but there is a difference. Offer accordingly and take a knowledgeable friend or relative. You have an excellent resource here and I'd be willing to bet someone here would go and look at the car with you to be sure it is what they claim. Keep in mind that some dealers know these are getting scarce and there is a market for them. So $15k today maybe $17k two weeks from now.

Flippy328
10-31-2010, 12:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies. One question is what is an Oasis report? Ive heard of carfax and autocheck but never oasis. Also I am going to talk to him tomorrow since I woke up late this morning and didnt have a chance before work but if I am able to go take a look at it, anyone in the Orange County or San Diego area who would be willing to come look at it with me it would be much appreciated. I am in Anaheim but the car is in San Diego so either city is fine. Pm me if you would like.

rayjay
10-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Oasis is Ford's internal repair tracking system. Each time a car comes in to a dealer the VIN# is entered and that visit recorded. The Member who mentioned it is the man to contact for the report. Just PM him, Brian is always willing to help, great guy! Good luck.

carfixer
10-31-2010, 05:47 AM
Today is the last day of the month, perfect day to buy. Dealers have month end quotas to fill. Go low and walk away, they will chase you out the door to deal.

Ms. Denmark
10-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Probably Light Flint interior...... not white. Pretty rare. Only 178 of 417 '03 MMs in that color combo.

VIN = 2MEHM75V53X705093 ... Looks to be the younger twin brother of FreddieH's SB MM born 1-2 cars earlier (early June 2003).

Kelley Blue Book says $12,710 in Excellent condition with 50K miles. I also think the list price of $15,000 is a little high; but the car is only worth what you are willing to pay. Offer $11,500-12,500 and be willing to walk away. JMHO Prolly really shouldn't walk away if it's clean and well maintained.......and you love it. Just figure it's your hobby and one you'll enjoy for years to come! And don't forget to join the Silver Birch Society once you bring your baby home!!

Bluerauder
10-31-2010, 07:21 AM
Prolly really shouldn't walk away if it's clean and well maintained.......and you love it.

But only if you think it is worth the price. Maintaining the ability to "walk away" is the biggest advantage that the buyer has in the price negotiation. Once the dealer knows you won't or can't walk away, you have lost your advantage. JMHO.

I have been to the point of $100 separation in price with the manager (I made him come out from behind his curtain). He asked "if I would let a mere $100 bust the deal?" As I started to rise out of my seat, I simply asked him if He "was trying to test me". Needless to say, he needed the sale more than I needed the car. I got my price. The ONLY advantage that I had was the ability to walk away ..... and take my money with me.

LANDY
10-31-2010, 08:59 AM
Today is the last day of the month, perfect day to buy. Dealers have month end quotas to fill. Go low and walk away, they will chase you out the door to deal.
+1 on that.

Ms. Denmark
10-31-2010, 09:10 AM
But only if you think it is worth the price. Maintaining the ability to "walk away" is the biggest advantage that the buyer has in the price negotiation. Once the dealer knows you won't or can't walk away, you have lost your advantage. JMHO.

I have been to the point of $100 separation in price with the manager (I made him come out from behind his curtain). He asked "if I would let a mere $100 bust the deal?" As I started to rise out of my seat, I simply asked him if He "was trying to test me". Needless to say, he needed the sale more than I needed the car. I got my price. The ONLY advantage that I had was the ability to walk away ..... and take my money with me.Thank you Captain Obvious......:P :D