PDA

View Full Version : I got lit up

1stMerc
11-04-2010, 09:41 PM
After 5 yrs of running i get 26 miles out Commerce to get lit up. Seems my license plate frames are illegal in Georgia. To top it off he was having a hard time running my newly registerd tags. Nice guy, let me go after he was able to run them with my pink slip. Seems i was lucky when i came here in 07

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/Marauder_002.jpg

CBT
11-05-2010, 03:37 AM
What's illegal about them?

Pat
11-05-2010, 04:31 AM
Waymon is sleeping now, but Patricia and I have been up for a while so I went outside and looked at his car. The rear plate has a sensor (camera?) mounted across the top of the plate so one cannot read the state's name.

The numbers/letter and registration sticker are all plainly visible. There is no tinted cover.
I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong. Too early for shopping. LOL

fastblackmerc
11-05-2010, 05:07 AM
The law in North Carolina is:

Nothing covering the plate.

No frame can cover anything on the plate.

CBT
11-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Well, learn something new every day :)

Egon Spengler
11-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Those would be illegal in MA as well. Can't have ANYTHING covering plates. Even a border around the plate, because it covers the "Massachusetts"

vkirkend
11-05-2010, 05:52 AM
I found that out at my annual inspection....

Marauderman
11-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Yeah--got pulled last time at Commerce for tinted cover plate by their SHP--gave me a warning to not come back with it on --not allowed in Ga.

Egon Spengler
11-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Yeah--got pulled last time at Commerce for tinted cover plate by their SHP--gave me a warning to not come back with it on --not allowed in Ga.
I had gotten pulled over for tinted license plate covers and the officer gave me a ticket and said appeal it because it will get thrown out. Just tell them you took it off. So I appealed it and got "something" ;) so good the morning of my court date, that I forgot where I had to be and wound up having to pay the damn ticket! :rolleyes:

MM03MOK
11-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Those would be illegal in MA as well. Can't have ANYTHING covering plates. Even a border around the plate, because it covers the "Massachusetts"
Yep. One time the guy that does our inspections noted on the form that he removed the license plate frame, but he didn't remove it. He said there can't be any frame. He's never mentioned it since and he's inspected both Marauders a few times. He just looks the other way.

Egon Spengler
11-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Yep. One time the guy that does our inspections noted on the form that he removed the license plate frame, but he didn't remove it. He said there can't be any frame. He's never mentioned it since and he's inspected both Marauders a few times. He just looks the other way.
Looks like they are trying to find excuses to do away with the green plates as well so that you have to get the front plate as well. My dad just recently had to give up his green plate of MANY years for some new front and rears.

1stMerc
11-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Waymon is sleeping now, but Patricia and I have been up for a while so I went outside and looked at his car. The rear plate has a sensor (camera?) mounted across the top of the plate so one cannot read the state's name.

The numbers/letter and registration sticker are all plainly visible. There is no tinted cover.
I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong. Too early for shopping. LOL

Ding, ding,ding
Pat nailed it. frame covers state, just got lucky last time here.
not an issue in Missouri.....or haven't commited any infractions to warrant a closer look.

yjmud
11-05-2010, 06:15 AM
good thing IL is easy they don't bother for most except for other then clear covers

1stMerc
11-05-2010, 06:45 AM

Yeah, got pulled over in Mo for red tint on the plates some years back. Had a few other infractions (5 over in a 20) also. Glad he liked the car so well he decided to let me go with a warning on all of them.

Blk Mamba
11-05-2010, 07:02 AM
All ours have tinted covers, and we live 20 miles from the Ga. border, haven't been yet, & don't know if I will.

Joe Walsh
11-05-2010, 07:45 AM
The law in North Carolina is:

Nothing covering the plate.

No frame can cover anything on the plate.

I don't think those laws are such a bad thing...

Nothing wrong with a slim/normal sized license plate frame.

I'm not a LEO, but I see license plate frames in Maryland that are so big you can't read the state, nor see the registration stickers.....:dunno:

MMarauder03
11-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Sheesh, got some sticklers in Georgia, I lost my front plate bracket including the front plate about a month ago in NY, also have too loud of exhaust, too dark of tint, and god knows what else. The officers around where i live just give me thumbs up!

Egon Spengler
11-05-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't think those laws are such a bad thing...

Nothing wrong with a slim/normal sized license plate frame.

I'm not a LEO, but I see license plate frames in Maryland that are so big you can't read the state, nor see the registration stickers.....:dunno:
This means that dealerships are going to be slapping their sticker logos on the paint instead of just putting on a license plate bracket. Always fun to remove those. When I pulled my car in the driveway the first day I picked it up, I took the sticker off.

Joe Walsh
11-05-2010, 07:59 AM
This means that dealerships are going to be slapping their sticker logos on the paint instead of just putting on a license plate bracket. Always fun to remove those. When I pulled my car in the driveway the first day I picked it up, I took the sticker off.

That's a no brainer...

Whenever I buy a car I tell the dealer salesman:

" If you put a dealer sticker on my car when you 'prep' it, I'm not buying the car."

I even have them write that on the contract that I sign.

LIGHTNIN1
11-05-2010, 08:14 AM
What you guys are talking about is the reason I did not buy the MercuryMarauder.net license plate frame. The border is too wide and will cover half the state name on top and too wide on bottom also. Nice frame but covers up too much.

Spectragod
11-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Well, learn something new every day :)

The rule of thumb.......

If the car is from out of state, you cannot cite for an equipment violation that is possibly legal in their home state.

The stop was B.S., he was fishing. The frame was his reasonable suspicion, he was just looking for something bigger.