PDA

View Full Version : Quaker State motor oil. Any good?

Motorhead350
11-09-2010, 06:55 PM
My truck is due for an oil change soon as I was considering QS. The reason is it's about half the price of Mobile 1. I know QS isn't synthetic, but I don't need all 350hp in the snow and I cannot give the tranny more than 1/2 throttle. So it's not like I need the power.

Looks like it goes for $2.99 at Menard's for 10W-40. Same price as off brand stuff at auto part stores. I used it before in the Marauder before it was blown (5W20) and it seemed fine.

Worth a try?

gdsqdcr
11-09-2010, 07:13 PM
I can't speak for QS but if you want an engine to last, good oil.

I use Mobile synthetic in my Marauder, the Accord or the Sierra. My wife's last accord over 250k. The Sierra has 120k plus (truck miles of towing, kidding, 4wheeling and hauling too much weight in the bed).

If Mobile 1 works for you, use it and don't cheap out.

My thoughts ...

secretservice
11-09-2010, 09:16 PM
The QS of yore used to have a lot of parafin in it, and proved to sludge up fairly quickly if neglected. I assume since you are on a car enthusiasts' forum, you are mindful of your oil change intervals. With that in mind, I suspect you will have no issues with QS if you just keep it fresh, but I have never used it because of the old horror stories I've heard over the years. Always been Castrol or Valvoline conventional for the beaters and Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in the cars I give a hoot about. There are so many other alternatives to QS that I never felt the need to tempt fate. All you can do is try it lol. I just changed the oil in my Neon with a $10 jug of Super Tech from Wally World and a Motorcraft FL1-A Filter because I'm a Ford guy and I have a ton of them, and it fits. Good luck.

Motorhead350
11-09-2010, 10:12 PM
QS will go into the Neon simply because it's already been purchased. Never again though.

Mobile 1 for life!

secretservice
11-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Mobil 1 is great stuff, can't go wrong with it.

CBT
11-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Hey this isn't a Neon website you noobers. :D

secretservice
11-10-2010, 06:48 AM
woops... wrong site. :o

CBT
11-10-2010, 06:56 AM
woops... wrong site. :o

Muhahahahaa, just messing with yous.

secretservice
11-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Muhahahahaa, just messing with yous.

I knoes. Some day the Neon will die. Some day.....:rolleyes:

RF Overlord
11-10-2010, 07:40 AM
The QS of yore used to have a lot of parafin in it, and proved to sludge up fairly quickly if neglected. I have never used it because of the old horror stories I've heard over the years. There are so many other alternatives to QS that I never felt the need to tempt fate. All you can do is try it lol.*Sigh* Not that old myth again...

All mineral oil base stocks are either paraffinic or napthenic. People got confused because candle wax is made from paraffin and they ass-umed that means "there's wax in that oil". Pennzoil and Quaker State undeservedly got a bad reputation. If an engine was abused/neglected and sludged up, chances were good that one of those oils was in it, simply because they were (and still are) the most commonly used. ANY oil will cause sludge if pushed too far.

Having said that, I would not use 10W-40 of any brand in anything I cared about as it's loaded with VIIs (viscosity index improvers) which cause the oil to shear out of grade rapidly and gum up the works. GM even issued a TSB back in the '80s about it causing ring packs to stick.

Use what the manual calls for unless you've got unusual operating conditions.

Vortex
11-10-2010, 08:16 AM
All name brand API approved oils are just fine for regular use if changed according to manufacturers specs (oil changes are cheap enough nowdays where I get all mine done every 3k miles anyway). Unless your car specifies synthetic or you live in an extreme cold environment, regular oil is just fine, just stick to brands you recognize (Shell, Castrol, Motorcraft ect...)

secretservice
11-10-2010, 08:25 AM
All name brand API approved oils are just fine for regular use if changed according to manufacturers specs (oil changes are cheap enough nowdays where I get all mine done every 3k miles anyway). Unless your car specifies synthetic or you live in an extreme cold environment, regular oil is just fine, just stick to brands you recognize (Shell, Castrol, Motorcraft ect...)
Right. That's why I said
I assume since you are on a car enthusiasts' forum, you are mindful of your oil change intervals. With that in mind, I suspect you will have no issues with QS if you just keep it fresh.

Black Dynamite
11-10-2010, 09:35 AM
I've been using Quaker State for a long time with excellent results. I had an Olds 88 with the Rocket 350 that had 250k on it and only used 1/2 a quart between oil changes. And that was after a rad hose blew at 175k and overheated the motor.

Ahhhh the good old days....

FormulaMarauder
11-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Oil these days, and I mean ANY oil these days are light years ahead of what was ever produced ten years ago. A 99cent quart today probaby has more wear protection than a $5 quart ten years ago.
With that being said, I'm a Mobil snob. Mobil gas, Mobil1 oil. Can't go wrong. Go with regular Mobil oil if the Mobile 1 hurts the wallet.