PDA

View Full Version : Just saw a Supra @ 913hp.

RacerX
11-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Was at my tuners for lunch and got this. He's trying to break 1000hp below 30psi. This was @ about 25psi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bavUUIaiNs4
98 Supra btw. Had two in the trunk because of slippage on the dyno! (Yeah, that's what she said!) :D

Oh yeah! May have a couple potty mouth exclamations! Can't remember!

RR|Suki
11-11-2010, 11:34 AM
lol, no matter how many times I see it the power bands on those big turbo Supras always makes me laugh. Nice car though

SpartaPerformance
11-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Gee I wonder when the turbo kicked in!!!! That A/F line is horrible, should pick up a few more HP when they straighten that out.

RacerX
11-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I mentioned the A/F. Got the "Work in progress" look! :D

Joe Walsh
11-11-2010, 01:58 PM
lol, no matter how many times I see it the power bands on those big turbo Supras always makes me laugh. Nice car though

+1!

I like those Supras...their inline 6s are bulletproof....BUT
It is a friggin' dog until 4500 rpm, starts to really wake up by 5500rpm then goes off like a roman candle until 7500 rpm....:shake:
They must be really fun to drive on the street when you are below 4000 rpm a vast majority of the time.
Then make damn sure that it is pointed straight ahead when you punch it and get to 5,000 rpm....:drive:

ImpalaSlayer
11-11-2010, 02:52 PM
wow that power curve is pretty funny. never actually seen one

secretservice
11-11-2010, 02:53 PM
brrrrr.....kahbrrrrrrr........ bbbwwwaaaAAAAAAHHHH..PFFFTAHHH HHH..BPPPBFFFTAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! !!!!!:drive:

I lol'd a little.

Egon Spengler
11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
wow that power curve is pretty funny
You ain't kidding!

Ktorres1
11-11-2010, 03:06 PM
One of the biggest known beast car known to life! I've seen supras slaughter just about anything and everything. Fact is with that inline 6 and 320 HP of no bottom end powerband, it still managed to nail 0-60mph in 4.9 in a time mustang's and camaros where doing high 5's or low 6's! Ohh and nevermind topspeed lol lets just say 180 MPH easy stock...

Ktorres1
11-11-2010, 03:09 PM
And if you don't know what 180mph are stock??? Lets just say camaros, challengers nor GT500's can achieve that today stock!

burt ragio
11-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I love their safety issues having two guys sitting in the open hatch for the dyno run.

Ktorres1
11-11-2010, 03:36 PM
For further schooling simply YouTube SUPRA FROM HELL and witness what Japan's Godzilla skyline, America's terminator cobras as well as many many 1/2 a million dollar car owners have come to learn the hard way is that supras unleash a WRATH FROM HELL! Meet displacements biggest fear... Boost! And no car has ever done it better than the 93-98 supras aka banned from America for 1st degree slaughtering.

RR|Suki
11-11-2010, 03:36 PM
One of the biggest known beast car known to life! I've seen supras slaughter just about anything and everything. Fact is with that inline 6 and 320 HP of no bottom end powerband, it still managed to nail 0-60mph in 4.9 in a time mustang's and camaros where doing high 5's or low 6's! Ohh and nevermind topspeed lol lets just say 180 MPH easy stock...

too bad the Supra was sold as a supercar, and was what 70K or something like that back in the 90s? . . . I'd hope it would have a 0-60 faster than a camaro/mustang.

PS the Supra never did 180mph stock EASY, that was basically the end, and that is only with the limiter off. They were limited to 155 over here, less in Japan, so stock is a matter of opinion once you mess with the limiter. if you think a GT500 can't hit 180mph with the limiter turned off you're drunk.

Joe Walsh
11-11-2010, 03:41 PM
brrrrr.....kahbrrrrrrr........ bbbwwwaaaAAAAAAHHHH..PFFFTAHHH HHH..BPPPBFFFTAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! !!!!!:drive:

You been eating bean burritos???

Even a car with a very peaky powerband can run quick 0-60 times IF you know how to drive it....
REV to 5,000+ rpm and sidestep the clutch.
Trouble is the halfshafts and everything else behind the flywheel don't like that being done too often.
When you are out driving around you have to be very wary that someone doesn't 'jump you' when you are cruising along at low speeds/rpms.

Personally, I'll take a big, fat, W-I-D-E torque curve anyday.

RacerX
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I love their safety issues having two guys sitting in the open hatch for the dyno run.
? Guy who owns the car is an OSHA inspector... J/K! :P The glass I was behind is a regular window pane and the wall is just wallboard. A blown tire or snapped holddown would kinda suck!

Joe Walsh
11-11-2010, 03:45 PM
For further schooling simply YouTube SUPRA FROM HELL and witness what Japan's Godzilla skyline, America's terminator cobras as well as many many 1/2 a million dollar car owners have come to learn the hard way is that supras unleash a WRATH FROM HELL!
Meet displacements biggest fear... Boost! And no car has ever done it better than the 93-98 supras aka banned from America for 1st degree slaughtering.

What's wrong with a HUGE CID American V8 under boost?
You don't have to shove 30 psi down the throat of a 500 cid big block to make big power...700+ HP...N/A!
Give it 10-15 psi and you get ungodly power with tons of torque ...even when you are not running boost.

Face it...you are trying to get a bunch of enthusiasts who love and own a big American 4 door sedan with a V8 to buy your
"Slaughtered American cars" banter...save that for the Honda V-Tec forums...
They all masterb*te to Toyota Supra posters on their bedroom walls.

BTW: I'm waiting for the better gas mileage and better handling argument to crop up....:rolleyes:

RacerX
11-11-2010, 03:48 PM
What's wrong with a HUGE CID American V8 under 25PSI of boost? FIXED IT Joe!

joemama
11-11-2010, 03:51 PM
And if you don't know what 180mph are stock??? Lets just say camaros, challengers nor GT500's can achieve that today stock!

They are electonically limited...to 155. The Mustang GT500 does 184.7...stock with speed limiter removed. It was just in populare mechanics, June 2010, page 78.

Ktorres1
11-11-2010, 03:57 PM
48k and supercar no just sportscar superlike! 180mph I'd give only to the 2011 GT500 which I'm hoping their going to add variable valve timing and direct injection for 2012 or 2013 models.

Ktorres1
11-11-2010, 04:06 PM
@ Joe Walsh I'm with you on loving the marauder and boosted v8's but their for whatever reason not as reliable boosted as that bulletproof inline 6 that makes me wonder what if it were an inline 8? Ohh and screw Honda's and wanna be fasts&furious crap! Muscle cars are back and our domestic companys finally got serious.

burt ragio
11-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Now that's funny.

tremblay
11-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I love marauders and American muscle first but I can certainly agree that Supras are badass. In some way the supra, rx7, 300zx, skyline and stealth were the Japanese muscle cars of the 90s...Whatever it is, if it's cool and make power it deserves respect.

MrBluGruv
11-12-2010, 12:44 AM
so much to say on this thread.

90's japanese sports cars:

Supra-built for boost, unwieldy in many situations, over-hyped in most respects.

300ZX TT (Z32) - THIS was the muscle car of Japan. Heavy, but LOTS of torque and plenty fast

Stealth wasn't from Japan, but the car it's based on was-> 3000GT VR4 - Mitsubishi's ultimate example of high technology. Exceptionally fast car and one-of-a-kind. TERRIBLY TERRIBLY unreliable though.

RX7 (FD3S) - The pinnacle of rotary-engined sports cars. Also one of the best balanced vehicles one could buy straight from the factory. the 13B-REW engine though was probably one of the least reliable 13B engines put in an RX7.

NSX - Inspired by Formula 1, great power-to-weight (car was capable of 13 second 1/4 mile in 91, also happened to be the only non-turbo contender from Japan in the 90's), AMAZING handling, personally I see it as the Japanese corvette or the Japanese answer to Italian sports cars.

Skyline - The crown jewel of Japanese auto tech, very simple modifications can make a GT-R practically untouchable, if you need proof on that do some digging on the Mine's R34 Skyline GT-R.

This list isn't even counting the Lancer Evolution or the Subaru contenders.

Japan really achieved a lot with what they did in the 90's. However, if you think those cars were about fuel economy, you need to think again. Also, I think the handling argument is very poor in most situations, as unless you're doing touge racing (or here basically that is windy-hilly road racing), you're not gonna truly push the limits of your car's handling, and I seriously doubt most people would be skilled enough to see their true potential anyways. If you're gonna go bonkers over a Supra just because it's a dyno queen, I'd be a little worried about your REAL experience and knowledge in the automotive world.

All that being said however, Supras are pretty darn slick. Just overrated is all. :)

secretservice
11-12-2010, 07:37 AM
so much to say on this thread.

90's japanese sports cars:

Supra-built for boost, unwieldy in many situations, over-hyped in most respects.

300ZX TT (Z32) - THIS was the muscle car of Japan. Heavy, but LOTS of torque and plenty fast

Stealth wasn't from Japan, but the car it's based on was-> 3000GT VR4 - Mitsubishi's ultimate example of high technology. Exceptionally fast car and one-of-a-kind. TERRIBLY TERRIBLY unreliable though.

RX7 (FD3S) - The pinnacle of rotary-engined sports cars. Also one of the best balanced vehicles one could buy straight from the factory. the 13B-REW engine though was probably one of the least reliable 13B engines put in an RX7.

NSX - Inspired by Formula 1, great power-to-weight (car was capable of 13 second 1/4 mile in 91, also happened to be the only non-turbo contender from Japan in the 90's), AMAZING handling, personally I see it as the Japanese corvette or the Japanese answer to Italian sports cars.

Skyline - The crown jewel of Japanese auto tech, very simple modifications can make a GT-R practically untouchable, if you need proof on that do some digging on the Mine's R34 Skyline GT-R.

This list isn't even counting the Lancer Evolution or the Subaru contenders.

Japan really achieved a lot with what they did in the 90's. However, if you think those cars were about fuel economy, you need to think again. Also, I think the handling argument is very poor in most situations, as unless you're doing touge racing (or here basically that is windy-hilly road racing), you're not gonna truly push the limits of your car's handling, and I seriously doubt most people would be skilled enough to see their true potential anyways. If you're gonna go bonkers over a Supra just because it's a dyno queen, I'd be a little worried about your REAL experience and knowledge in the automotive world.

All that being said however, Supras are pretty darn slick. Just overrated is all. :)
Ask any racer, any REAL racer... :D

J/K man. I know what you're saying. There's lots of nice cars out there, from here and abroad. That's what makes the world, and more importantly, this country great. The power to choose.

babbage
11-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Couple of months back I was "following" an older Supra on my way to work. I "will not" say that I redlined my MM in 3rd with 3.73's.. Needless to say it wasn't stock, but I didn't get walked either...

I leased a WRX for 3 years and didn't like it at all under 3k - total dog. Cool vid regardless bill thanks for posting