PDA

View Full Version : A rant

PonyUP
11-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Okay so I finally decided to get the cruise control fixed.s since I bought the car it has not worked and I haven't really cared. But I have some long distance driving coming up so I want it working. I had it looked at by a shop I trust about a month ago and they said everything seemed to work fine but the switch wouldn't activate it, so today I took it to the dealer. $100 just to diagnose it???
But in addition when I bought the car, the guy said he would mail me the second ky and key fab, never did. And as he is overseas, I have no way of getting a hold of him. To get a new key? $135.
I'm just a bit pissed

Motorhead350
11-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Sadly $135 sounds about right.

It's $70 to program a key with Ford Employee discount and I do not know the cost of the key. The car must be there. Copy cannot be made from one key to another. I have had it done and seen it done.

These aren't the old school days anymore when you can go to a hardware store and have a key made for $.75 for your car. Well at least with Marauder. I can still do that with my current daily driver. ;)

CBT
11-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Sadly $135 sounds about right.

It's $70 to program a key with Ford Employee discount and I do not know the cost of the key. The car must be there. Copy cannot be made from one key to another. I have had it done and seen it done.

These aren't the old school days anymore when you can go to a hardware store and have a key made for $.75 for your car. Well at least with Marauder. I can still do that with my current daily driver. ;)
Hellz yeah, on my 77 Chevy I could replace my keys, the cylinder lock, and the locking mechanism on the steering shaft and still have money left over to change the oil and the plugs and get a sack full of beers for 135 bucks.

Motorhead350
11-12-2010, 09:04 AM
$135 into my truck can get me a transmission and oil change! Seriously.

Or a tank of gas and a meal for my woman and I... a good meal.

$135 can get used headers.

$135 can get a nice dress up kit for the engine....

$135 goes far in a Chevy, but the Chevy will not always go the distance with you.

:lol:

TFB
11-12-2010, 09:05 AM
To get a new key? $135.
I'm just a bit pissed
Yeah that price is just plain stupid, prices seem to run around 2/3 that at the local dealers(which still pisses me off)... When I decide to get a second key for mine, it'll be from a independent locksmith...

Motorhead350
11-12-2010, 09:07 AM
When I decide to get a second key for mine, it'll be from a independent locksmith...

I don't think you can do that. You need the actual car around to get the key programed. A guy hooks up a car to a machine. It's not simply cutting a key. Even as basic as it looks.

TFB
11-12-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't think you can do that. You need the actual car around to get the key programed. A guy hooks up a car to a machine. It's not simply cutting a key. Even as basic as it looks.
A few locksmiths have the capability...

One to always beat the system, I swapped the ECM in my '98 Grand Marquis to one from a '99 CVPI, no more PATS... FU Ford and your programming as well... Cost was $55 for the 'puter and three keys at $1.50 ea from Lowes(Yeah the guy tried to tell me they wouldn't work)...

Motorhead350
11-12-2010, 09:15 AM
If you got the hookup go for it. :cool:

PonyUP
11-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Here's an update. They want $225 to replace the window switch and another $80 to replace the bezel. I told them to shove the Bezel, ill steal one from a Vic. The cruise diagnosis is a short in the steering wheel switch, $325 for that. stealerships should be charged with price gauging.:mad2:

thathotrodlincn
11-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Side bit of information; if you have remote start on your MM, a replacement ignition key may not require a chip (at least mine does not). I had a conventional key made for about $1.50 for my MM that works fine.

TFB
11-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Side bit of information; if you have remote start on your MM, a replacement ignition key may not require a chip (at least mine does not). I had a conventional key made for about $1.50 for my MM that works fine.
True...

There are two types of remote start bypass modules, one is programed just like a third key, the module then transmits the info just as it were another key... The second(earlier)type requires a functioning PATS key be placed inside the module and it amplifies the signal to operate the PATS... I believe both require a antenna loop be placed around the ignition tumbler that also has the receiver for the normal key(I know the second type does)...

EDIT As another FYI, a std key will operate the system IF the PATS key is in close proximity to the ignition... The wife unknowingly did this before I swapped the 'puters on the '98... She came in and said I didn't think you'd swapped computers yet, I said I haven't, well it started on the std key(both were on key ring)... I tried to tell her differently, but she proved me wrong...

justbob
11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
1. Go see Marty about having the PATS turned OFF in the tune. I have a tune with no pats. Get a $10 key on EBAY and have Ace hardware cut it, no programming neccessary. (Your insurance provider may not like this if it gets stolen however)

or

2. Go to a local lock smith that can handle Ford Pats systems. (average price here $75.00)

Window switch. Drivers I imagine? The metal contacts under the switch are corroded and need two be cleaned, I just did this. Only tool needed is a screwdriver. A few minutes of easy peasy.

Cruise. ? Sorry, I would have to see it, probably not a biggie.

Move back so I can fix your junk ya cheep azz.

Your welcome.

PonyUP
11-13-2010, 06:05 AM
1. Go see Marty about having the PATS turned OFF in the tune. I have a tune with no pats. Get a $10 key on EBAY and have Ace hardware cut it, no programming neccessary. (Your insurance provider may not like this if it gets stolen however)

or

2. Go to a local lock smith that can handle Ford Pats systems. (average price here $75.00)

Window switch. Drivers I imagine? The metal contacts under the switch are corroded and need two be cleaned, I just did this. Only tool needed is a screwdriver. A few minutes of easy peasy.

Cruise. ? Sorry, I would have to see it, probably not a biggie.

Move back so I can fix your junk ya cheep azz.

Your welcome.

I did try cleaning the crud off the window switch, but the switch was fried. Turns out I was a little wrong on the pricing so I feel a lot better. The $225, included cutting the key, so I am okay with that. I was gonna pass on the cruise control, but I got a trip to Alabama coming up, there will be the meet in Louisville and this is the car I want to drive on my next trip to Chicago (hint hint so I can get some Bobby work done) but also so I can smoke. So I said the hell with it, it's just money.

Granddaddy Marq
11-13-2010, 06:26 AM
A local locksmith in Arab Al. :D cut and programed one for my wifes 06 Mustang for $65 he even programed the remote. I would try some little out of the way locksmith.

justbob
11-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Your car is welcome in my garage anytime friend. Just drop it off with a list and i'll get ya all squared away. Bonus is, you can have my car to drive atleast. Looking forward to your next trip up Buddy!

PonyUP
11-23-2010, 09:05 AM
So here's the fukken wax update. I ordered the damn switches for the cruise control, came back last Friday to have them installed. Oh what do we have here, they ordered the wrong switches and the ones I need are $70 more and I need two of them. So fine, they fukken waxed ordered the new switches and I ma back to have them installed today. Now I'm told for the first time that I might also need a new module, of course they can't give me the price on that until the tech gets back with my car. He's been out joyriding in it for a fukken hour. If I didn't have to get this done at the stealership, I'd be done. Either way Gwinnet Ford is never getting my business again. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: :

CBT
11-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Car has been gone for an hour? Totally, totally unsat.

PonyUP
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Oh and they got an earfull from me. So the module is gonna cost another $325. What they don't know is I am charging them for my time on Friday because they ordered the wrong parts, it was a waisted day. In addition, I am calling shennanigans on this module thing, so I am asking for the old module when they are done with the work and if they can't produce, I'm calling the cops.

Still Steaming :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

CBT
11-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh and they got an earfull from me. So the module is gonna cost another $325. What they don't know is I am charging them for my time on Friday because they ordered the wrong parts, it was a waisted day. In addition, I am calling shennanigans on this module thing, so I am asking for the old module when they are done with the work and if they can't produce, I'm calling the cops.

Still Steaming :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Captain O'Hagan (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/name/nm0004051/): I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."
Mac (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/name/nm0501399/): Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?
Farva (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/name/nm0373571/): You mean Shenanigans?
Mac (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/name/nm0501399/): OOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Thorny (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/name/nm0151540/): OOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

TFB
11-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Oh and they got an earfull from me. So the module is gonna cost another $325.

IF it fixes it, that was likely the problem to begin with, chances all that stuff was bad is highly unlikely, sounds like they are throwing parts at it...

Cruse issues can be difficult to diagnose but you should not have to pay for them experimenting...

Joe Walsh
11-23-2010, 07:11 PM
A local locksmith in Arab Al. :D cut and programed one for my wifes 06 Mustang for $65 he even programed the remote. I would try some little out of the way locksmith.

Yep,
When I bought a used Ford Ranger it only had one key and one remote key fob.
That meant that I could not program a new PATS key on my own....:(

I called the local Ford stealership and was quoted $175.00 for one key programmed to match my Ranger's PATS.....:eek:

I told them...Ahhhh...NO THANKS!

Bought 2 brand new Ford remote key fobs off Ebay for $39.00 total shipped.
Then I bought 2 brand new Ford PATS key blanks off Ebay for $20.00 total shipped.
I programmed the remote key fobs myself...easy to DIY.
Found a local locksmith who cut and programmed* both PATS keys for $45.00.

Now I have 2 brand new cut & programmed PATS keys and 2 brand new programmed key fobs for the whopping total of $104.00.

(I put the older worn key and fob away...just in case.)

*He had a cool looking 'James Bond' box which he plugged into my Rangers OBD2 port and captured my PATS code after waiting for the Ford programmed 10 minute delay.
The 10 minute delay is to supposedly stop valets/bad guys from quickly pulling PATS codes with the same little box.

PonyUP
11-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Well all is fixed now, Cruise works, new switches on the steering wheel and I'm good to go. Definitely cost more money that I wanted to spend, but it's fixed. Got everything discounted (Ofcourse they greatly mark up the parts so then it seems like they are giving you a deal) But then I got them to also throw in a $100 credit on future work knowing I'll need a battery in the future and the 100,000 mile check up. I don't feel like I came out ahead by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm moving forward, with the cruise locked in

guspech750
11-24-2010, 11:41 AM
So here's the fukken wax update. I ordered the damn switches for the cruise control, came back last Friday to have them installed. Oh what do we have here, they ordered the wrong switches and the ones I need are $70 more and I need two of them. So fine, they fukken waxed ordered the new switches and I ma back to have them installed today. Now I'm told for the first time that I might also need a new module, of course they can't give me the price on that until the tech gets back with my car. He's been out joyriding in it for a fukken hour. If I didn't have to get this done at the stealership, I'd be done. Either way Gwinnet Ford is never getting my business again. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: :

Well all is fixed now, Cruise works, new switches on the steering wheel and I'm good to go. Definitely cost more money that I wanted to spend, but it's fixed. Got everything discounted (Ofcourse they greatly mark up the parts so then it seems like they are giving you a deal) But then I got them to also throw in a $100 credit on future work knowing I'll need a battery in the future and the 100,000 mile check up. I don't feel like I came out ahead by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm moving forward, with the cruise locked in
:rofl: Sucker!! :rofl:

FK the $100 credit and go buy a battery some where else.

justbob
11-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Incredible BS. Only one item was broken and i'd bet the bank on that!

PonyUP
11-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Incredible BS. Only one item was broken and i'd bet the bank on that!

Probably right, I think the switches were fine, the module was toast. I argued with them enough to get the labor for putting in the module taken off, but I won't be going back there. At least it's fixed. If I ahd to drive to Kentucky without Cruise I'd be a diva to deal with