PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to avoid hybrids at all costs...

a_d_a_m
11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
"A three-alarm fire that damaged a San Carlos warehouse containing memorabilia belonging to rocker Neil Young (http://topics.sfgate.com/topics/Neil_Young) started in a vintage car that he had converted into a hybrid vehicle, authorities said Tuesday."

Read more here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/17/BABV1GCS8V.DTL

CBT
11-17-2010, 11:59 AM
"A three-alarm fire that damaged a San Carlos warehouse containing memorabilia belonging to rocker Neil Young (http://topics.sfgate.com/topics/Neil_Young) started in a vintage car that he had converted into a hybrid vehicle, authorities said Tuesday."

Read more here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/17/BABV1GCS8V.DTL

What did it use for fuel? Weed?

a_d_a_m
11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
As far as I know, Neil has been off all drugs and alcohol for years now. He's kind of a geek, with a Lionel train collection (seriously).

Motorhead350
11-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Car fires happen all the time. It's just that it's a hybrid car and Neil Young that made it a headline.

Funny, but sad find.

Cheeseheadbob
11-17-2010, 12:08 PM
I guess the "Old Man" is going to have to "Walk On" and "Saddle Up the Palomino" now that his prized hybrid has passed on to the "Peaceful Valley Boulevard".....:D

a_d_a_m
11-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Car fires that damage a music legend's warehouse and damage some (but thankfully not all) of his belongings do not happen all the time. Especially when the car in question was a '59 Lincoln that had been turned into a hybrid. There is more to the story than "Neil Young's hybrid car caught on fire."

TFB
11-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Well I don't have a hybrid and never will, but to condemn them because a converted vehicle caught fire due to a charging system problem is just silly...

No different than saying "I won't buy a Ford" because they had the blazing cruse control cancel switch that started dozens of fires...

Egon Spengler
11-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Went to a hybrid car fire that involved a garage. The fire wouldn't have happened if the car wasn't a hybrid. Plus hybrids are EXTREMELY dangerous to approach as a firefighter.

a_d_a_m
11-17-2010, 12:11 PM
The subject line was meant to be a joke, but apparently I didn't convey that.

PonyUP
11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
This wasn't an actual hybrid, it was a car he converted to hybrid, that probably has more to do with the fire than anything else IMHO

Joe Walsh
11-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I guess the "Old Man" is going to have to "Walk On" and "Saddle Up the Palomino" now that his prized hybrid has passed on to the "Peaceful Valley Boulevard".....:D

"It's better to burn up....OOPS!....errr....burn out.....then to fade away!"

MrBluGruv
11-17-2010, 01:17 PM
No different than saying "I won't buy a Ford" because they had the blazing cruse control cancel switch that started dozens of fires...

I knew a girl that contended that with me. This same girl swears that VW is the best car in the world by far, nothing else can compete, and that modern VW cars are super easy to work on...

Motorhead350
11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
I see your point Adam. It's just I have some Gibsons in storage (under my bed) and a few vintage things. If they burned I would be bummed out, but thankful I was still alive... maybe.

Egon Spengler
11-17-2010, 01:26 PM
I knew a girl that contended that with me. This same girl swears that VW is the best car in the world by far, nothing else can compete, and that modern VW cars are super easy to work on...
Just laugh each time she opens up her purse to dish out more money to repair it. VW's are garbage and I will not let anyone I know buy one!

Joe Walsh
11-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Just laugh each time she opens up her purse to dish out more money to repair it.
VW's are garbage and I will not let anyone I know buy one!

+1!
I'll have a friend of mine who owned a Passat, call her and tell her how his car almost burned up because of faulty heated-seat wiring.
That was the last straw in a long list of electrical problems that he had.
He now drives a FORD Explorer and loves it!

VWs have so many wiring issues...they are Mexican junk!

Egon Spengler
11-17-2010, 01:43 PM
+1!
I'll have a friend of mine who owned a Passat, call her and tell her how his car almost burned up because of faulty heated-seat wiring.

VW's are NOTORIOUS for electrical issues! Every G-D one! I will never buy one or an Audi either...

babbage
11-17-2010, 02:15 PM
+1!

Agree, however some (higher end models) are made in deutschland, and those have better quality.

Joe Walsh
11-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Agree, however some (higher end models) are made in deutschland, and those have better quality.

At the risk of sounding like Aren Jay....besides the Phaeton, what are they still making in Germany?

(I liked the Touareg 5.0L TDI TT V10!!....310 HP and 553 FT/LBs...:bows:
But I'd never buy a vehicle whose name I couldn't spell nor pronounce.)