PDA

View Full Version : Cross over tube rusting

Egon Spengler
11-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Anyone else have their cross over tube rusting? I am hoping mine makes it through the winter and I will be able to pull it and sand it down and paint it. If not, then I may be in the market for a cross over tube. Noticed this on Sunday when I was doing an oil change on my mm. Might take a closer look and if it is bad, I may try to take it off before winter and sand it down and paint it before the snow flies.

ImpalaSlayer
11-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Its pretty thick tubing, it isn't going to rust through in one winter. They were powder coated from the factory and its a real pain in the ass to remove. I usualy just take a torch to them and burn it off then put it in my blast cabinet

Egon Spengler
11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Its pretty thick tubing, it isn't going to rust through in one winter. They were powder coated from the factory and its a real pain in the ass to remove. I usualy just take a torch to them and burn it off then put it in my blast cabinet
Thanks for that info. Might wait until after this winter. This is my primary transportation and I can't have it down for a couple days so I can do this. Will have to do it in the spring when I can use my motorcycle as transportation while I do this.

babbage
11-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Keep it greased with something like wd-40 - better is motorcycle chain oil. Keeps metal covered and stops it from rusting further.

Egon Spengler
11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Keep it greased with something like wd-40 - better is motorcycle chain oil. Keeps metal covered and stops it from rusting further.
This is true. I may do that to delay the process.

ImpalaSlayer
11-17-2010, 01:59 PM
you will be fine, ive cut up enough of these things. its rusting from the outside in. putting oil and greease and **** all overit isnt going to help when it comes time to paint it. leave it be

Egon Spengler
11-17-2010, 02:19 PM
you will be fine, ive cut up enough of these things. its rusting from the outside in. putting oil and greease and **** all overit isnt going to help when it comes time to paint it. leave it be
OK. I will leave it alone. Looks pretty bad, but if it is thick metal, I should be good. I will wait for the nice weather... 6 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!

burt ragio
11-17-2010, 02:46 PM
My cross over tube is also rusted & looks bad. I did buy a new one that will get cut up & re welded when the Eaton goes on maybe this decade. I have had to replace the metal heater hose pipe that runs along the passenger side head this summer. It had a pin hole leak.

RR|Suki
11-17-2010, 02:59 PM
I sanded and painted mine on the car, not a big deal

thathotrodlincn
11-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Spetragod has one for sale!

Egon Spengler
11-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Spetragod has one for sale!
I saw that. Am going to save my pennies and do a sand and paint.

RacerX
11-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Shortly after I bought mine last year, I pulled the tube off, sanded it down, primered it with high temp auto primer that you cure in the oven (pulled off the O-rings and x-over stopper), painted with high temp auto paint, baked that per directions and it looks great.

tbone
11-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I had 2 spots of rust. I just sc***** it off and used touch up paint on it. Looks ok for now.

Juice
11-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Ugh, I can't wait to get out of the North! Thankfully, my MM has zero rust, and I found a beater before they started salting the holy shlit out of the roads.

Park it and get a beater!