PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear!!

SpartaPerformance
11-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Did anybody watch it? I did, I thought it was great kept in line with the original British version. Could use a bit of polishing but a good job.

wht02lightning
11-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Heres my take. Im one of the biggest UK Top Gear fans, Ive watched it for years. The American version had some flaws, one being they took too much from the UK version. The set was damn near stolen, the Stig being the same color was lame. Also having Tanner Foust as a presenter is totally wrong. I like how the UK Top Gear has 3 journalists who never were professional drivers. Tanner Foust is too high a caliber, I can see everything being can the other 2 beat Foust not the Stig.

That being said I liked the show. It was entertaining and Ill watch it every week, It just wasnt as good. Lets hope they dont just rip off the same challanges that have already been done.

ChiTownMaraud3r
11-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Other than the hot cars, I found the entertainment weak sauce and dry. The special guest, Buzz Aldrin was on for like 3 minutes, and their commentary is not nearly as funny as Jeremy, Richard, and James'..Oh well, It will probably improve over time, or just be taken off air after this season.

Blackened300a
11-22-2010, 05:23 AM
Other than the hot cars, I found the entertainment weak sauce and dry. The special guest, Buzz Aldrin was on for like 3 minutes, and their commentary is not nearly as funny as Jeremy, Richard, and James'..Oh well, It will probably improve over time, or just be taken off air after this season.

Lame, sort of like the American version of "The office" I caught some of it and it didn't do anything for me.

Davesvt2000
11-22-2010, 05:58 AM
I'll give it a few weeks to see if it gets better.

Have to remember though, this series was filmed last year, it was supposed to be on NBC ( I think ), and then dropped, and the History Ch. picked it up. So these ten episodes coming up have been done for a while.

ctrlraven
11-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Pure rubbish for a first episode. Only thing I semi enjoyed was the lambos. Spent 5 mins with the Big Star in Little Star part. UK version spend 15-20 mins talking to them. You could see the host was pushing the guest through everything real quick.

SpartaPerformance
11-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Pure rubbish for a first episode. Only thing I semi enjoyed was the lambos. Spent 5 mins with the Big Star in Little Star part. UK version spend 15-20 mins talking to them. You could see the host was pushing the guest through everything real quick.

That's the part that I think could use polishing. I did like the intro to the small car. "Suzuki Swift, $17,000 of front wheel drive acceptableness" I got a chuckle at that.

LordVader
11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Heres my take. Im one of the biggest UK Top Gear fans, Ive watched it for years. The American version had some flaws, one being they took too much from the UK version. The set was damn near stolen, the Stig being the same color was lame. Also having Tanner Foust as a presenter is totally wrong. I like how the UK Top Gear has 3 journalists who never were professional drivers. Tanner Foust is too high a caliber, I can see everything being can the other 2 beat Foust not the Stig.

That being said I liked the show. It was entertaining and Ill watch it every week, It just wasnt as good. Lets hope they dont just rip off the same challanges that have already been done.

^^^^^^Totally agree. I too am a big fan of the original and you have to wonder why they didn't create something original.

Vortex
11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
You would think in the car kulture of the good ole US of A we could come up with an original car show concept. I like the original BBC version but a few minutes of the new USA version and I turned it off. Its clearly aimed at teenagers/20 somethings so Im out of the marketing curve. Buzz Aldrin?? A true American hero but anyone and everyone knows of his long time psychiatric issues. If I was going to start a car show in the US Id start with a good car journalist and add a couple of guys like Don Prudhomme or Danny Sullivan or Boris Said.