PDA

View Full Version : LEO in Cambridge Springs,PA

CRUZTAKER
12-15-2003, 07:58 PM
My wife's cousin tells me tonight that the LEO in her work city of Cambrige Springs , PA. are now driving Marauders. Apparently she knows one of them from high school.

I wonder if they modify them?

I can't wait till the next visit! You know they're just itchen' to chase somebody. I think a test drive (for them) is in order:P

jgc61sr2002
12-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Barry - That would be cool.:D

SHERIFF
12-16-2003, 07:59 AM
I would almost have to see it to believe it. Sounds to me like they confiscated (one) Marauder in a drug raid and converted it to official use after the forfeiture and trial???

The only other way I can think of this happening is if Mercury cut them an excellent price ($20,000 each) since sales were so slow on the Marauder??

Our local police have confiscated several vehicles and conversion vans and converted them to "undercover" work. Everybody in town knows the vehicles though, so they're not really undercover. :)

woaface
12-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Yeah, undercover ones are a bit easy to spot here, unless it's the rarely known about M5. BMW North America donated one to the police force here some time ago (not sure when). There's only one, I've never seen it, but I have heard about it from a few people, including one police officer.) The county and state cars are eash to catch, they've got reflective crap ALL over them. And the undercover ones are any tinted-windowed Crown Vic/Impala on or near a road.

Bootlegger
12-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Hey Cruz, The Sheriff's Dept in Indy, Marion County, has two Black MM's, one just went through some small mods, and the other is still stock, they were looking into ordering more for the fleet, but this is the last year, so i'm not sure what they will do...

CRUZTAKER
12-16-2003, 07:07 PM
I am sure they're out there somewhere. It's a nice change from the taurus, malibu, and camaro that frequent our area.

RCSignals
12-16-2003, 09:45 PM
You never know what that telco van parked across the street is.....

woaface
12-16-2003, 10:12 PM
I can't find it now but I believe it was an article on MPH Industries website about some cops in Florida dressed up as workers in a broken down truck on the side of the road. One guy would prop the radar equitment on a box while sitting on the truck bed while the other sat behind him lookin around. A police car elsewheres did the pulling over of the discribed vehicle. It was an interesting picture and article.

junehhan
12-16-2003, 10:56 PM
To be honest, the Marauder would definately make a great police cruiser, especially for duty on the highway enforcing traffic. It would be awesome if Ford offered an engine upgrade package to the P71 Police Interceptors for the law enforcement people who really could use the extra upgraded engine.

teamrope
12-16-2003, 11:11 PM
I have a couple of WSP officers in my Army Reserve units that are drooling over my MM. It's nice to have freinds. ;)

SHERIFF
12-17-2003, 10:20 AM
The last few replies confirm my suspicions maybe..... with the low price city, county and federal law enforcement agencies get on the P71 POLICE INTERCEPTOR bids..... maybe Ford/Mercury is cutting them a comparable deal on the Maruaders. The only thing I would hate is climbing in and out of a Marauder all day long with a gun belt on, the leather seats would look like a 40-year-old public toilet seat in just 6 months.

The first time I ever get pulled over by a Marauder with blue lights, there's no way in hell the officer would be able to keep me seated in my car. I would have to jump out and take a look at his car. :)

engine23ccvfd
12-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Major problem would be the alternator not enough juice to run two radios, flashlight charger, hideaway strobes, siren, and lord help'em if they want to use a full size lightbar....LED lights would draw less amps but the siren pops a quick 20 Amps when you turn it on....

nhinterceptor
08-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Here's a photo I came across...
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/18cambridgespringsbig.jpg

CRUZTAKER
08-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Hey NH! Nice to hear from you...where you been?

As far as the pic, good job! I knew it was there, but haven't gone with the wife out there on the last two trips and figured I'd never see it in person.

I do however know from the local LEO's that they have had alot of trouble with it and it has been in and out of the shop with tranny issues since they got it.

Likely due to not disengaging the OD button on their frequent romps. I have no knowledge of any mods as I still haven't talked with them in person.

Someday....

Bluerauder
08-11-2004, 05:53 PM
I would almost have to see it to believe it. Sounds to me like they confiscated (one) Marauder in a drug raid and converted it to official use after the forfeiture and trial???

The only other way I can think of this happening is if Mercury cut them an excellent price ($20,000 each) since sales were so slow on the Marauder??

Our local police have confiscated several vehicles and conversion vans and converted them to "undercover" work. Everybody in town knows the vehicles though, so they're not really undercover. :)
When I was talking with one of our local LEOs (actually he started talking to me, first about license and registration :D ), he mentioned that the county had checked into the Marauder. However, I think your point about the price is quite valid. The county just increased the "replacement" point by 10,000 miles in order to keep costs down and delay some replacements. Unless they could get into that $20,000 range, it was probably a non-starter for budget reasons.

The county uses those confiscated vehicles quite often. There is a black Cadillac Escalade with the spinner type wheels now running undercover. It has caught lots of unsuspecting folks by surprise. You have to look mighty close to see the strobes and red/blue lights.

Oh yeah, my "visit" with the LEO ended well --- just a verbal warning to take it easy.

nhinterceptor
08-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Hi Cruz!

I've been pretty busy, work and hobby (more like work). I've been building alot of custom diecast for local PD's. Even did a few for myself. I haven't done anymore more work on my 1/24 (CMW conver.) or 1/18 (AutoArt conver.) Marauders. I think I'll do a Cambridge Springs car, I have whelen lightbars and I can paint the stripe and make the other decals (waterslides). I have a microdry printer and create my own artwork. When I have a few minutes I'll post some of my builds in the gallery.

As for the MM police car...wait till they have to buy tires (a few times), that'll be a budget killer!

Bluerauder
08-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Hi Cruz!

I've been pretty busy, work and hobby (more like work). I've been building alot of custom diecast for local PD's. Even did a few for myself. I haven't done anymore more work on my 1/24 (CMW conver.) or 1/18 (AutoArt conver.) Marauders. I think I'll do a Cambridge Springs car, I have whelen lightbars and I can paint the stripe and make the other decals (waterslides). I have a microdry printer and create my own artwork. When I have a few minutes I'll post some of my builds in the gallery.

As for the MM police car...wait till they have to buy tires (a few times), that'll be a budget killer!
nhinterceptor,

My son is working the same hobby building local Prince William cars for the police and sheriff versions. :)

There is alot (OK, some) of interest on this board regarding MM models. There is a separate thread to that effect on "Models".

Here's mine .... not great photos ... but you get the gist !!! :up: