PDA

View Full Version : Little bit of snow up here in Buffalo...

Commodore Crap
12-03-2010, 02:54 PM
So it snowed a bit. A bit as in almost 4ft. or so.
My sister was stuck in her car on the I-90W from 730pm, dec 2nd, til around 530pm dec 3rd. 22 hours.
And it's only a 4 mile strecth of highway. Everything just stopped.
I made a trek down to try and get her around 11 am in my Grand Marquis. I got as far as the nearest exit to her. But she couldn't walk to my car. The snow was too deep.
I made a second attempt last night around 7pm and was successful. She had finally been evacuated by snowmobile and bused to a nearby community center where the authorites had set up shelter.
I managed to get there, pick her up, and get her home to her apartment.
From Niagara Falls, to Checktawaga, to Orchard Park. It's about a 50 mile round trip.
3 hours.
But she's home and safe. And that's all that matters.
And now. Pics.
The first is my car. The other two are from my buddies lifted F-250.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/shadz39/154851_613848495965_43409190_3 4581198_3073619_n.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/shadz39/151006_10150098004881495_50980 1494_7353728_2481866_n.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/shadz39/156000_10150098004701495_50980 1494_7353726_5439104_n.jpg

This was this first snow of the year.
And the first time I got to test out my WinterForce tires and Trac-Lok combo. They worked flawlessly.

-ryan s.

Egon Spengler
12-03-2010, 03:02 PM
I heard about the Interstate entrapment. That is crazy. Glad everyone is home safe and sound. What did they do with her car? Tow it?

Commodore Crap
12-03-2010, 04:52 PM
It was towed. They were towing from the front and the rear of the line. She was right in the middle. NYS has an agreement with the towing companies to tow and store for free(for the customers). The only catch is that we have to pick her car up by the close of business today.

And this only 24 hours of snowfall.

-ryan s.

scruff
12-03-2010, 06:38 PM
wow you guys got it good lol ,,we usually get one sometimes 2 storms like that here every winter in the great white north lol

a_d_a_m
12-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Man, only a couple hours down the road, we just had a dusting on I-90 and that's it! I didn't even get to play with the AWD...

kernie
12-05-2010, 10:10 AM
You still there buffalo?

A big NW wind setting up the lake effect here in London, they are forcasting 25-40 inches {60-100 cm} over the next two days {assumming the NW winds prevail} but we are starting with near nothing as of now. You guys are allready buried.

Good luck, hunker down!

:beer: {well stocked, :D}

CRUZTAKER
12-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Buffalo and Syracuse...man I never looked forward to those road trips during winter.

You guys get lake effect like it's going out of bussiness.

Fortunately our similar area is 30 miles east of me and I have no bussiness over there. They average 106" a winter.

Thank god I am equipped for the most part this year.

CBT
12-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Holy crap, and I was complaining about the dusting we got because I had to scrape Amy's windshield this morning.

Egon Spengler
12-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Holy crap, and I was complaining about the dusting we got because I had to scrape Amy's windshield this morning.
I love the fact that the south has gotten more snow than us here in Massachusetts! I have seen flurries and that is it! I still have bald summer tires on my MM! Getting a little nervous though. Going to have to put the snowies on in the next couple of weeks I think. I need to buy two new tires unfortunately.

Dragcity
12-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Well, this morning was another friggin mess in Buffaloser. Seems lately when our DOT is put to task, they fail miserably. I have lived here all my life and have seen more ef-ups in the past two years than in all prior.

To leave folks stranded for a day is just silly. From what I heard, the State Troopers would not ALLOW people to band together to push their vehicle and get things moving. IDIOTS. We are harty folks here, and if empowered can move mountains.

I think the big cause was a tractor trailer wiped out and blocked the road. So get a DOT plow vehile anbd some chains and move the friggin thing right away..

I drove Buffalo to Rochester this morning. Not looking forward to the trip back to Buffalo tonight, supposed to snow all day. I hooe they figure out why they can't keep the roads clean, and then DO something about it.

I am angry because we pay way more taxes than the rest of the country, pay WAY more for fuel than the rest of the country and get less, and less and less for it. Hell, we even have to pay tolls on most of the roads the Thruway Authority can't keep safe or cleared..... Last year, folks were stranded for 28 hours on the I-90 Toll road and when cleared, they were charged a toll upon exiting. W T F ???? They did allow people to file to be re-imbursed, but what a slap-in-the-face.

Eh, sorry... I just really hate Buffalo and New York State. Time to move out.

Joe Walsh
12-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Wow!.......:eek:.......Crazy snowfall!

Glad that your sister is safe & sound.

I was born in Binghamton, N.Y. and we got plenty of snow.
As a kid, I remember the news/weather would always have Buffalo, Oswego, Rochester snowfall totals and they were incredible!

sweetair
12-06-2010, 09:35 AM
I went to Syracuse University for 4 years and then to Buffalo for 5 years. There was plenty of snow to go around then and I see still now. You guys might break 200" on the year. It was 196" cumulative snow the last winter for me up there. 1996.

PonyUP
12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Well, this morning was another friggin mess in Buffaloser. Seems lately when our DOT is put to task, they fail miserably. I have lived here all my life and have seen more ef-ups in the past two years than in all prior.

To leave folks stranded for a day is just silly. From what I heard, the State Troopers would not ALLOW people to band together to push their vehicle and get things moving. IDIOTS. We are harty folks here, and if empowered can move mountains.

I think the big cause was a tractor trailer wiped out and blocked the road. So get a DOT plow vehile anbd some chains and move the friggin thing right away..

I drove Buffalo to Rochester this morning. Not looking forward to the trip back to Buffalo tonight, supposed to snow all day. I hooe they figure out why they can't keep the roads clean, and then DO something about it.

I am angry because we pay way more taxes than the rest of the country, pay WAY more for fuel than the rest of the country and get less, and less and less for it. Hell, we even have to pay tolls on most of the roads the Thruway Authority can't keep safe or cleared..... Last year, folks were stranded for 28 hours on the I-90 Toll road and when cleared, they were charged a toll upon exiting. W T F ???? They did allow people to file to be re-imbursed, but what a slap-in-the-face.

Eh, sorry... I just really hate Buffalo and New York State. Time to move out.

Damn thats crazy, asking people to pay to be stranded :mad2: that sucks man. I hope you brought some blankets with you in case things get closed on the way home tonight. Drive safe :beer:

Egon Spengler
12-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Damn thats crazy, asking people to pay to be stranded :mad2: that sucks man. I hope you brought some blankets with you in case things get closed on the way home tonight. Drive safe :beer:
If I lived in that area, I would have a blanket and a cigarette lighter space heater! Along with toilet paper, a coat, some gloves, and a hat. Need a damn survival kit in your car to live there!

PonyUP
12-06-2010, 11:49 AM
If I lived in that area, I would have a blanket and a cigarette lighter space heater! Along with toilet paper, a coat, some gloves, and a hat. Need a damn survival kit in your car to live there!

No kidding, I can't imagine getting 4 feet of snow. We had a storm like that once when I was in Chicago, but I was like 6 and hardly remember it. After that, I think the worst I say was 18 inches.

Certainly won't be seeing 18 inches(open door Casey) now that Im in Atlanta.

Dragcity
12-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Yup, I have two wool US Army issue blankets under the back seat. Boots in the bed of the truck, hat, two pair gloves, a hoodie. Not to mention jumper cables, tow strap, a rope, 6 extra gallons of Diesel fuel and 2/3 bottle of water.

Oh, and I have my Colt .45 and 9 rounds.

If i get stranded, I hope the stripper in the next car over runs out of fuel.......... :~)

Doubtful I will get stuck in my F-350, but if all traffic stops, it won't do me any good.

Yes, the cost of living here in Buffalo is rediculously high compared to other areas. We all need several coats, multiple pairs of footware, gloves, hats, shovels, winter vehicle maintenance, snow tires, then the clean-up after the winter. Oh, and the winter blend fuel is so bad, cars run like crap and we get lower economy.

Why do we stay here? Oh yeah, F A M I L Y .

Dragcity
12-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Hey, come to think of it, I should throw a grill, some charcoal, steaks, potatoes, couple cases of beer and such in the back of the truck.

I could make a lot of $$ out there.

Marauder386
12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Ohh I do remember these winters in Buffalo ! I always seemed to be on leave visiting my Dad ( he was a veterinarian up there ) and get the joy and pleasure of shoveling out the parking lot...it was small anyway ( right there @ Brighton+Eggert Roads ) ... kinda had a perverse giggle as I left to get back...I dunno why..... ;)

:cool4:

Shaijack
12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
What's SNOW? New Orleans has rain.

CRUZTAKER
12-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Why do we stay here? Oh yeah, F A M I L Y .

What? And not for the Sabres! :P

Mike M
12-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure what snow is but will this help?

http://www.flixxy.com/snow-vehicle-concept.htm

Egon Spengler
12-07-2010, 06:22 AM

I really am surprised that didn't catch on! haha. Seems like it will go anywhere!

Dragcity
12-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Brighton & Eggert. That's is just down the street from where I grew up, and Mom still lives.

They haven't got much snow, just a few inches....

The Sabres? What's that? Oh yeah, guys on skates. I'm not much a sports fan.

ctrlraven
12-07-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm looking forward to some snow this winter season so I can go out and play in my Taurus with it.

I just don't want another 5-6ft again, a plow didn't come down my road for 2 days.

Commodore Crap
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
It's been snowing on and off for about 36 hours now. It's getting annoying. And winter just started. Oh well, time to hunker down with some good drinks!

-ryan s.

kernie
12-08-2010, 06:07 AM
We have had about 110cm {44 inches}, and they are calling for another 20cm today, crazy. I know you guys in buffalo know the story too well.

:beer:

Commodore Crap
12-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Blarg. its finally sunny out! Woot! Just a foot. Thats it.
This place went from fall and nothing to Arctic tundra in 24 hours.
"Put it in low gear there, eh"
"No! Arctic tundra low!"

-ryan s.

Dragcity
12-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Snowing like crazy just North of Rochester this morning. Back and forth, forth and back. all week.

sounds like we need to ready for the next blitz...

rayjay
12-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I just found this post. The Syracuse area, I'm 35 miles out east up in the hills, has been getting pounded with lake effect for 2-3 days now. They are comparing it to the major storms of 66 and 93. They don't know about our storm of 1994 that dropped 39" in 14 hrs. :rolleyes:
All I know is I'm already doing roofs. We are still under a lake effect warning here in Madison County through tomorrow. As someone said its just begun ... Teaching my daughter to run the equipment. Someones got to do it after the 27th.

knine
12-09-2010, 12:00 AM

That thing just looks fun :D

Bigdogjim
12-09-2010, 05:33 AM
We had 3 really big stomes last year:)

Snow blower is in the shop get some need repairs...stop by my buddies shop and check out the 3 new tri axle trucks with plows! Fun struff.......