PDA

View Full Version : $120 million worth of $100 bills to be burned by government

ctrlraven
12-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Source: Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101206/us_yblog_thelookout/government-cant-print-money-properly)

Combined, the quarantined bills add up to $110 billion -- more than 10 percent of the entire U.S. cash supply, which now stands at around $930 billion.

The flawed bills, which cost around $120 million to print, will have to be burned

As a metaphor for our troubled economic and financial era -- and the government's stumbling response -- this one's hard to beat. You can't stimulate the economy via the money supply, after all, if you can't print the money correctly.

Officials with the Treasury and the Federal Reserve had touted the new bills' sophisticated security features that were 10 years in the making, including a 3-D security strip and a color-shifting image of a bell, designed to foil counterfeiters. But it turns out the bills are so high-tech that the presses can't handle the printing job.

More than 1 billion unusable bills have been printed. Some of the bills creased during production, creating a blank space on the paper, one official told CNBC. Because correctly printed bills are mixed in with the flawed ones, even the ones printed to the correct design specs can't be used until they 're sorted. It would take an estimated 20 to 30 years to weed out the defective bills by hand, but a mechanized system is expected to get the job done in about a year.

Joe Walsh
12-07-2010, 09:46 AM
I will volunteer to assist the Treasury in sorting out all those $100 bills.....:D

"one for me, one for you....one for me, one for you"

TFB
12-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I will volunteer to assist the Treasury in sorting out all those $100 bills.....:D

"one for me, one for you....one for me, one for you"

I'll be your assistant...

Blk Mamba
12-07-2010, 09:54 AM
I read this on the internet last night, and Joe Walsh, I don't have 20-30 years, to sort, but I'll help till I have enough...done that is.

Pops
12-07-2010, 09:55 AM
No big deal! They waste more than that every day!:(

Joe Walsh
12-07-2010, 09:56 AM
No big deal! They waste more than that every HOUR!:(

There....fixed it for ya!

Sad, but true!.....:shake: