PDA

View Full Version : sold my 350z, bought a Rambler...what?

Rocknthehawk
12-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Yep, deals done.

Sold my 350z last week. It was a fun car, plenty quick, handled beautiful. I was just tired of making payments on it. I put a new clutch and coilovers in it this year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/021-4.jpg

anyways....I found this Rambler local. I've seen it around town all summer, and finally found it listed on Craigslist. It's a 1966 Rambler Classic 550. It's got the 232 i6, with 41000 miles. Lots of recent work done on the car. The body is very solid, new upholstery. Runs and drives real well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/Rambler.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/872.jpg

It's a little different getting used to manual steering and brakes. But it cruises real well. I think I'd like to convert it to power steering, it's apparently not hard. The owner recently replaced all the brake parts, but eventually I'll use the scarebird kit to convert the front to discs.

It'll get bagged in the spring, and deciding on some different wheels.

Figured i'd share my new ride!

RR|Suki
12-09-2010, 04:12 PM
*Russian accent* Power steering is for little girl!

Nice car man

SpartaPerformance
12-09-2010, 04:21 PM
OOooooooooooooK?! If you like the car then have fun with it.

MrBluGruv
12-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I bet that'd be wicked fun with a 340 in it. ;) But either way, looks like it's in REAL nice shape.

a_d_a_m
12-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Always liked Ramblers. That's not my favorite model but it isn't bad. Good luck.

Blackened300a
12-09-2010, 05:24 PM
The topic of the thread is what Im thinking.

sold my 350z, bought a Rambler...what?

Joe Walsh
12-09-2010, 05:54 PM
WOW!.....:eek:
Talk about a different kind of ride!

From a 6 speed manual sports car to an automatic 4 door.....barge.

I like it!

69ranchero351c
12-09-2010, 06:47 PM
i like it. old 4 doors are awesome

CBT
12-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Status of upgrade: WIN

gdsqdcr
12-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I had a 64 rambler wagon in high school with three on the tree.

Awesome car! Still wish I had it.

martyo
12-09-2010, 07:40 PM
I like the Rambler!!!!!

Vortex
12-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Id rather have the Rambler.

Rocknthehawk
12-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys. I'm really loving the car and looking forward to learning more about it. I feel like I got a good deal.

Egon Spengler
12-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Will have to come check it out! Looks like a fun little ride!

SID210SA
12-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Your not going to keep a classic a classic?....I can see upgrading the brakes and the power steering....but bagging it?? Really??? Now dont get me wrong....your Ranger looks nice like that....and some others do as well....I just dont see it with this car.....maybe after you do it my mind would be open to it.

Nice looking car btw!!

Joe Walsh
12-10-2010, 06:57 AM
I just noticed that the Rambler has wing vent windows!

Wing vent windows FTW!.......:banana2:

Vortex
12-10-2010, 06:59 AM
You said you were going to get new wheels; pleeze dont ruin it with giant "hoopties" or 20 inch billet crapolas with rubberband tires. I think a nice set of 15x7 grey torq-thrusts would look nice.

LordVader
12-10-2010, 07:00 AM
If I'm not mistaken you can at least sleep in the Rambler. Don't those seats lay down flat? Yes=WIN!

Egon Spengler
12-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Aaron, let me know if you need any help bagging her. I am good at spinning wrenches and modding! Just would need to find time! haha

Joe Walsh
12-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Aaron, let me know if you need any help bagging her. I am good at spinning wrenches and modding! Just would need to find time! haha

:hmmm:......Where's Doomie when you need him?

irish
12-10-2010, 07:30 AM
The rambler was a great car, really, my family had one , a station wagon, very dependable & I also had another great car ahead of it's time, a 1962 Studebaker, ahead of it's time with the "Hawk" & the "Avanti" ! Enjoy that Rambler !:beer:

Cheeseheadbob
12-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Your coolness factor has just increased 100X! There is always a feeling of bad assness, some may want to use the term aloof, when one steps out of a classic barge like that! From personal experience, I know that's how I felt when I got out of my '68 Eldorado back in the day. :D

Rocknthehawk
12-10-2010, 10:19 AM
You said you were going to get new wheels; pleeze dont ruin it with giant "hoopties" or 20 inch billet crapolas with rubberband tires. I think a nice set of 15x7 grey torq-thrusts would look nice.

No plans for "big" rims. I love the patina on the car, and want to keep that kind of vintage look. Just looking to upgrade from stock 14's. I really like the look of the american racing salt flat wheels, painted grey. I may look into 15" steel wheels. small torq thrusts never really appealed to me.

as far as bagging it...it's incredibly simple, because the car uses a torque tube to locate the rear axle. it already sits pretty low, so it'll give me some adjustability. It will also ride nicer....

I feel cool driving it!

Tom, anytime you want to check her out, let me know. Right now I'm debating registering her with antique plates (probably year of manufacture plates), or going normal plates. The vanity plate RAMBLR is available!

TJCOX
12-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Yep, deals done.

Sold my 350z last week. It was a fun car, plenty quick, handled beautiful. I was just tired of making payments on it. I put a new clutch and coilovers in it this year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/021-4.jpg

anyways....I found this Rambler local. I've seen it around town all summer, and finally found it listed on Craigslist. It's a 1966 Rambler Classic 550. It's got the 232 i6, with 41000 miles. Lots of recent work done on the car. The body is very solid, new upholstery. Runs and drives real well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/Rambler.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/872.jpg

It's a little different getting used to manual steering and brakes. But it cruises real well. I think I'd like to convert it to power steering, it's apparently not hard. The owner recently replaced all the brake parts, but eventually I'll use the scarebird kit to convert the front to discs.

It'll get bagged in the spring, and deciding on some different wheels.

Figured i'd share my new ride!

Nice classic! Some Ramblers that came with the V-8 (287ci) were actually Chev engines.

prchrman
12-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Leaves are falling all around, It's time I was on my way.
Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant stay.
But now it's time for me to go. The autumn moon lights my way.
For now I smell the rain, and with it pain, and it's headed my way.
Sometimes I grow so tired, but I know I've got one thing I got to do...

*Ramble On, And now's the time, the time is now, to sing my song.
I'm goin' 'round the world, I got to find my girl, on my way.
I've been this way ten years to the day, Ramble On,
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.

Got no time to for spreadin' roots, The time has come to be gone.
And to' our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to Ramble On.

* Chorus

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.
How years ago in days of old, when magic filled the air.
T'was in the darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair.
But Gollum, and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her, her, her....yeah.

* Chorus

Gonna ramble on, sing my song. Gotta keep-a-searchin' for my baby...
Gonna work my way, round the world. I can't stop this feelin' in my heart
Gotta keep searchin' for my baby. I can't find my bluebird!

magindat
12-10-2010, 12:27 PM
*Russian accent* Power steering is for little girl!

Nice car man

It'll be nice to have when the car's bagged.

magindat
12-10-2010, 12:29 PM

:hmmm:......Where's Doomie when you need him?

I'll fill in for now...

That's what SHE said!

:beer:

magindat
12-10-2010, 12:32 PM
No plans for "big" rims. I love the patina on the car, and want to keep that kind of vintage look. Just looking to upgrade from stock 14's. I really like the look of the american racing salt flat wheels, painted grey. I may look into 15" steel wheels. small torq thrusts never really appealed to me.

as far as bagging it...it's incredibly simple, because the car uses a torque tube to locate the rear axle. it already sits pretty low, so it'll give me some adjustability. It will also ride nicer....

I feel cool driving it!

Tom, anytime you want to check her out, let me know. Right now I'm debating registering her with antique plates (probably year of manufacture plates), or going normal plates. The vanity plate RAMBLR is available!

16 or 17 salts w/45's or 50's - go awesome with the patina

BAG IT and let it lay pancake when parked - lowered stance while driving.

RAMBLR vanity plate FTW!

I'd have made the same trade.

Paul T. Casey
12-10-2010, 01:44 PM
I feel cool driving it!

You are cool. And the RAMBLR plate is just pure coolness, although the vintage isn't a non-win either!

Egon Spengler
12-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I personally like the vintage plates. RAMBLR would be cool too. If you wanted a vanity antique plate, you can only do 4 letters in Massachusetts. That is what my dad had to do.

Definitely would like to see it. I think I actually ave seen it around the area!

As for Aaron bagging the car. He has a good head on his shoulders and I trust his judgment. I think this would look cool bagged.

Rocknthehawk
12-10-2010, 02:31 PM
16 or 17 salts w/45's or 50's - go awesome with the patina

BAG IT and let it lay pancake when parked - lowered stance while driving.

RAMBLR vanity plate FTW!

I'd have made the same trade.

Thanks! The reason I'll bag this, it's SO easy. Remove spring, add bag, done. A lot easier than my truck....having to build a 4 link, check angles, modify the front mounts, etc. I can cruise with it low, and lay it out when parked at a show.

I'm thinking of 17" grey salt flats...will decide when the $$ comes. Maybe tax return time.

I need to get an insurance quote, but registering as an antique is 25% of whatever normal coverage would be!

I personally like the vintage plates. RAMBLR would be cool too. If you wanted a vanity antique plate, you can only do 4 letters in Massachusetts. That is what my dad had to do.

Definitely would like to see it. I think I actually ave seen it around the area!

As for Aaron bagging the car. He has a good head on his shoulders and I trust his judgment. I think this would look cool bagged.

Thanks Tom! I know what I want the car to look like, I've had a few people question the plans, but in the end I think it'll stand out.

The guy that owned it was daily driving it most of the summer, and driving it regularly up until I bought it. He said it was stored in the Burg.

I've figured with bagging it, to hide the components in the trunk...I think I'll buy some old luggage, and cut them to fit around. So the air tank and compressors will hide under what looks like a suitcase in the trunk.

unfortunately I won't be doing much/any work until spring. For now I'm gameplanning rust repair....it appears to have a common problem of rotting out under the cowl, which leads to the passenger floor pan rotting out.

BLACKMARAUDER04
12-10-2010, 02:45 PM
The first car I can remember dad having was a old blue Rambler
station wagon. I think he traded it for a Maverick.

Rocknthehawk
12-13-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm loving this car. It's unfortunate I won't be able to cruise it until spring.

It was warm enough saturday my girlfriend and I took it out for the day around town.

I caught her washing it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/rambler2.jpg

Davesvt2000
12-13-2010, 07:51 PM
You do know you're nuts, right ? :flamer:

Nice find, I've seen that car driving around before.

Which car wash is that, the one across from Lidios ?

What's that blue thing she's using on the car ?

Egon Spengler
12-14-2010, 06:37 AM

I was wondering the same thing Dave! haha

scruff
12-14-2010, 06:55 AM
i had a 69 rambler 2 door blue had a 199ci inline 6 was a shitbox but it got me around lol

Black Dynamite
12-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Awesome purchase man! My first car was a '65 or '66 Classic 660. I don't remember which year but it the same body as yours. Mine was fire engine red and I loved it. I wish cars still had the floor vents that opened to the outside air. Wish I still had it but everything just sort died all at once on it and I sent it to the scrappers.

BTW, the vacuum wipers on mine sucked ass, so keep that in mind.

Rocknthehawk
12-14-2010, 02:40 PM

I know I'm nuts Dave! But no car payment=more money. I saw you out near the mall saturday...I would have honked, but I was pretty sure you wouldn't look for that car.

Yeah, that's the carwash.

Blue thing? It's a dryer! She's drying the windshield, because the vaccum wipers barely work! I'll need to send the motor for a rebuild.

Joe Walsh
12-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Awesome purchase man! My first car was a '65 or '66 Classic 660. I don't remember which year but it the same body as yours. Mine was fire engine red and I loved it. I wish cars still had the floor vents that opened to the outside air. Wish I still had it but everything just sort died all at once on it and I sent it to the scrappers.

BTW, the vacuum wipers on mine sucked ass, so keep that in mind.

A BIG +1!

If newer cars had wing vent windows and floor vents you wouldn't have to use the friggin' A/C all the time.
Plus, you can drive with the driver's side window up and avoid all the wind noise and turbulence.

Rocknthehawk
12-15-2010, 09:02 PM
I took some better pics today, before it gets stored (probably tomorrow)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/Rambler/073.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/Rambler/081.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/Rambler/083-1.jpg

You know you love that custom battery strap. the first thing i will be doing will be a tune up, and cleaning the engine bay

Also, this box showed up in the mail today...wonder what this stuff is? ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/Rambler/088.jpg