PDA

View Full Version : No foglight or compass

snigalfriz
12-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Folks,

I am not getting any fog lights or compass. I also realize that I don't have any illumination on the headlight switch. I have done the lcm external relay fix. The headlights work, high and low, and all other interior lights. I have replaced the foglight relay, and still no fog lights. The bulbs appear to be good.

Any ideas would be helpful.

fastblackmerc
12-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Folks,

I am not getting any fog lights or compass. I also realize that I don't have any illumination on the headlight switch. I have done the lcm external relay fix. The headlights work, high and low, and all other interior lights. I have replaced the foglight relay, and still no fog lights. The bulbs appear to be good.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Start checking where and what you have power to.

Replace the headlight switch bulb.

SideshowBob
12-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Is the headlight switch supposed to be illuminated? I just had the switch replaced and it still doesn't light up. I always thought it was weird that the only thing not illuminated on the dash is the light switch!

fastblackmerc
12-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Is the headlight switch supposed to be illuminated? I just had the switch replaced and it still doesn't light up. I always thought it was weird that the only thing not illuminated on the dash is the light switch!

There is a "wheat" bulb in the headlight switch. You can see it once you remove the switch.

breeze
12-15-2010, 07:34 PM
check the fuse.

snigalfriz
12-16-2010, 07:34 AM
I have checked the fuses and relays, and they are good. The switch seems to be bad or the bulb is "loose". If I tap the dash near the switch, the switch will illuminate, but still no fog lights or compass. I am going to try replacing the headlight switch.

It appears that everything else is working correctly as far as lighting goes.

Rockettman
12-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Wish I could help you on this one.

Let us all know the outcome.

fastblackmerc
12-16-2010, 09:32 AM
I have checked the fuses and relays, and they are good. The switch seems to be bad or the bulb is "loose". If I tap the dash near the switch, the switch will illuminate, but still no fog lights or compass. I am going to try replacing the headlight switch.

It appears that everything else is working correctly as far as lighting goes.

Do you have power going to the bulbs? If not and the fuses are good it's most likely the switch.

snigalfriz
12-16-2010, 09:34 AM
I have a switch that should be in today. I don't think that I am getting power to the bulbs.

fastblackmerc
12-16-2010, 01:34 PM
I have a switch that should be in today. I don't think that I am getting power to the bulbs.

Easy to check.

If you have power going into the switch you should have power going out when you turn it on.

snigalfriz
12-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Any thoughts on the compass? I has been working intermittently, but currently is not.

fastblackmerc
12-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Any thoughts on the compass? I has been working intermittently, but currently is not.

There have been reports of bad a bad solder job in the compass circuitry. I concentrate on the interior lights first.

snigalfriz
12-17-2010, 08:19 AM
I ordered the wrong headlight switch, it didn't support the fog lights. I just reordered the correct switch, and it was cheaper than the other switch.

The rest of the interior lights are working correctly.

SideshowBob
12-17-2010, 06:41 PM
There is a "wheat" bulb in the headlight switch. You can see it once you remove the switch.

Correction: they replaced a module under the dash, not the headlight switch. I took it back to the dealer and reminded the service writer that I had mentioned the non-illuminated switch when I had it in for the module and they fixed it at no additional cost, but they replaced the whole switch. Told me you can't just change out the bulb. Seems retarded to me, but I didn't have to pay so it's all good.

fastblackmerc
12-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Correction: they replaced a module under the dash, not the headlight switch. I took it back to the dealer and reminded the service writer that I had mentioned the non-illuminated switch when I had it in for the module and they fixed it at no additional cost, but they replaced the whole switch. Told me you can't just change out the bulb. Seems retarded to me, but I didn't have to pay so it's all good.

Wrong.....

Maybe the way Ford changes the bulb is swap out the entire switch but you don;t need to replace the entire switch. Read on.............

I've changed out the headlight switch bulb.

You need to pull out the switch, remove the bulb holder, go to Radio Shack and get a new bulb, cut off the leads of the old bulb, solder them to the new bulb, place new bulb in holder, reinsert holder in headlight switch, reinstall head light switch.

BTW... the module under the dash was most likely the LCM. I can fix the LCM for about 10% less than what it cost to purchase at the dealer and I'll guaranty mine will last longer than the new one Ford put in. The one they just installed WILL fail again.

SideshowBob
12-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Wrong.....

Maybe the way Ford changes the bulb is swap out the entire switch but you don;t need to replace the entire switch. Read on.............

I've changed out the headlight switch bulb.

You need to pull out the switch, remove the bulb holder, go to Radio Shack and get a new bulb, cut off the leads of the old bulb, solder them to the new bulb, place new bulb in holder, reinsert holder in headlight switch, reinstall head light switch.

BTW... the module under the dash was most likely the LCM. I can fix the LCM for about 10% less than what it cost to purchase at the dealer and I'll guaranty mine will last longer than the new one Ford put in. The one they just installed WILL fail again.

It was fixed under my ESP, so cost wasn't really an issue, but I'll keep it in mind if it fails again after the ESP expires.

snigalfriz
02-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Changed my headlight switch, and still no fog lights. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

fastblackmerc
02-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Changed my headlight switch, and still no fog lights. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Do you have power at the foglights?