PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Expedition XLT... your thoughts?

dgi
12-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Searching autotrader yesterday i found a killer deal on a 2006 Expedition XLT. The car has cloth interior, backup sensors, 4x4, dvd package, 46k miles, and is clean. The ford dealer is asking $16,900. Being that its the end of the year, im thinking i can get an even better deal than that...

What do you guys know about these cars? After doing some reading i see that getting spark plugs out may be a problem when the time comes to replace them but im just looking for a reliable daily driver.

Should i look into an extended warranty?

Any good forums to go visit to get more first hand experience? Would be nice to have a full size tow vehicle...

Any help is appreciated!

YankeeMarauder
12-27-2010, 07:26 AM
I waited a long time on the Expedition. Wife wanted one when they first came out for the 1997 model year. Told her it looked like a school bus and would have no parts of it. But, we bought a 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer in 2005 and loved it. Karen couldnt get me out of "her" truck. Bought it with well over 100k on the clock, traded it in with 197k on it. Never had an issue with it at all. No check engine lights, no wierd noises, drove like a champ.

Traded it in on a 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition. Same story, no problems at all. Bought it with 60k on her, traded with 125k. Rode like a champ with no issues.

Spark plugs were a pain from what I understand. I never attempted it, but heard it was a pain and costly. Back in the day, my yech quoted $200+ alone just to swap them. Thats was one reason the one with 197k went bye bye. I know she would need some soon and, no matter how nice, a car with 200k on the clock is gonna need big servicing around the corner.

All in all, some of the best truck I have ever owned.

myrodr
12-27-2010, 07:42 AM
my wife had a 97 i did plugs. dealer told me 295. after 8 hours to change all 8,that price seem like a deal.

Bluerauder
12-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Any good forums to go visit to get more first hand experience? Would be nice to have a full size tow vehicle...

Any help is appreciated!

Maybe this site that's dedicated to Expeditions >>>>> http://www.expeditionforum.com/

RoyLPita
12-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Searching autotrader yesterday i found a killer deal on a 2006 Expedition XLT. The car has cloth interior, backup sensors, 4x4, dvd package, 46k miles, and is clean. The ford dealer is asking $16,900. Being that its the end of the year, im thinking i can get an even better deal than that...

What do you guys know about these cars? After doing some reading i see that getting spark plugs out may be a problem when the time comes to replace them but im just looking for a reliable daily driver.

Should i look into an extended warranty?

Any help is appreciated!

Depeding on when it was sold, it could have 5/60 powertrain coverage.

SHERIFF
12-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Would be nice to have a full size tow vehicle...

Any help is appreciated!

What kind of weight are you going to be towing? If you want a true tow vehicle, I would shop around for an Excursion before jumping out and buying anything. They're both gas guzzlers, so gas shouldn't be an issue.

I'll sell you mine, 54K, for $16,900. And I'm willing to bet you would be more satisfied.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx43/VaSheriff/NEWGRILL.jpg

CROWNMARAUDER
12-27-2010, 10:01 AM
My buddy has a 1997 that has around 250k miles & it's still going strong.

gdsqdcr
12-27-2010, 10:37 AM
I've got an Expedition at work. I think it is an 04. Current mileage is only 33k or so ... But that is all city driving and/or most WOT. Lots of hours as it is known to be on scene and idle for hours. Whereas out explorers have had issues, this rig is only in for routine service.

As for the Excursion, the only way to buy that is if it is diesel. The anemic gas motors were barely strong enough to move the excursion around. If Sherriff's excursion is a diesel, that sounds like a good price.

Anthony

BODYMAN
12-27-2010, 11:09 AM
New Body style Expeditions are very nice and dont drive like the old ones. The best though is a Excursion I had one since new just sold it this summer it was the sought after 7.3 disel that was the best veh I ever owned after 137,xxx miles the only thing I replaced was glow plugs becuase one failed. I have regret ever selling it sense.. Buy the EX it is a great SUV, Just not a Excursion.

RoyLPita
12-27-2010, 11:50 AM
My buddy has a 1997 that has around 250k miles & it's still going strong.

I know someone who has a '98 with over 300k on it.

BODYMAN
12-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I know someone who has a '98 with over 300k on it.

Yeah,I know of 2-diff ones that B-style that are well over 200,XXX

SHERIFF
12-27-2010, 03:11 PM
The Excursions came with the 7.3L diesel in the early years. They re good engines.

Then Ford came out with a 6.0L in the Excursions. Don't ever buy an Excursion with the 6.0L diesel engine. There are living nightmares all over the country concerning the 6.0L engines. The chances of getting a good reliable 6.0L diesel in an F250 or Excursion are at best 50/50.

Mine is a V-10 gasoline. The gasoline vs diesel arguments about power, reliability and performance between the two are alive and well in any Ford truck forum. Especially after Ford seemed to pump out so many defective 6.0L diesel engines.

TooManyFords
12-28-2010, 03:47 AM
I have an 08 Expedition called TowRauder... It's an Eddie Bauer but I would have gotten an XLT if it had been available. Only thing I don't like about it is the seats. I wish it had marauder seats. That and a dead pedal. It really needs a dead pedal. When towing ProRauder around, I get 15 mpg with it, so things could be worse. I also wish it had the leveling suspension. If you are towing, get that. I'm buying a kit this winter for mine so it will level after hooking the trailer up with the car on it.

I wonder how a Marauder with a 460 would tow? Hmmm....

dgi
12-28-2010, 07:07 AM
i went and looked at the expedition yesterday... had them pull the oasis just to get an idea of how its lived its life so far.

one owner, always dealer maintained. One Pinion seal leak, two no starts (replaced battery once), 4 coils replaced, some rattles here and there, brakes pulsating (rotors machined once, replaced once), ball joints replaced, etc.

Not worried about anything other than the no start instances... I tried to get the dealer to come down from their $16,900 asking price but he wouldnt budge so i walked... figure i have a couple more days before the end of the year...

Should i just bite the bullet and call them or just wait it out? Or skip it all together based on the oasis history?

SHERIFF
12-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Should i just bite the bullet and call them or just wait it out? Or skip it all together based on the oasis history?

Depends on how bad you might want this vehicle.

If you look at Kelley Blue Book, the price is not all that bad.
Full suggested retail is about $21,000 to $22,000 using my Virginia zip code.

Furthermore, Kelley Blue Book says the trade-in value in my zip code area
is $17,000. And they are only asking $16,900 from you.

SHERIFF
12-28-2010, 07:34 AM
NADA values in my Virginia zip code area...

Full suggested retail.... $ 19,500

Trade-in value .......... $ 16,050

SHERIFF
12-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Wow! If you are looking at the vehicle I think you are (Red at Norris), I wonder how that Lifetime Engine and Drivetrain package is working out for the dealership? I wonder what all it covers?

And you get lifetime $9.95 oil changes. Lifetime free car washes. Lifetime free towing. Free inspections for lifetime.

dgi
12-28-2010, 11:29 AM
yup... thats the car... and i just got my insurance paperwork faxed to my office... ended up getting it for $18k out the door... im pretty happy with the deal i got :)

CBT
12-28-2010, 11:31 AM
That's 18 grand worth of Marauder......gone.

SHERIFF
12-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Interesting. Tell me about the Lifetime warranty on the engine and driveline.

What does it cover? How can they possibly offer such a thing? :confused:

dgi
12-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I'll report back on the lifetime engine/driveline warranty... im sure its one of those flashy marketing deals...

I wanted a marauder but the expedition is more "practical" for my needs and the little lady will drive it too... she knew she wouldnt wanna drive the marauder so at least this way i dont need to buy two vehicles...