PDA

View Full Version : What NOT to do in a dark blue panther car

troopcar
12-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Check out this story of what a numb-skull with a dark blue Grand Marquis w/tinted windows did. I know a marauderer would never pull this stunt!

Here's the article (http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2003/12/08/police_impersonator_stops_off_ duty_trooper/)

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/a0/dckix.gif

troopcar

Haggis
12-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Darwin Award Number....

Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the BEAR gets you. That idiot is lucky it wasn't a drug dealer or some other a**hole he pulled over that could have shot him.

MM03
12-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Wow, not the brightest bulb on the tree. Glad someone got him before he did somthing to an unsuspecting citizen.

BillyGman
12-18-2003, 11:17 AM
I read that story last week.....why would someone be not only impersonating an officer, but also be pulling people over, when they were themselves driving w/out a license or registration???? I've heard of "Wanna-Be's" but something definately isn't right upstairs w/that individual. Sounds very unstable to me.......I hope they put this guy away for awhile.

SHERIFF
12-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by BillyGman
I read that story last week.....why would someone be not only impersonating an officer, but also be pulling people over, when they were themselves driving w/out a license or registration???? I've heard of "Wanna-Be's" but something definately isn't right upstairs w/that individual. Sounds very unstable to me.......I hope they put this guy away for awhile.

You would be surprised how many people are out on the roads doing this foolishness. And worse.

A boy who use to live near me bought a Crown Victoria, loaded it down with antennas, and sped up to ride people's asses when they passed his car speeding. He of course wanted the motorists to think he was an unmarked police car pacing their speed. I have heard more recently since he demolished his car and acquired another Crown Victoria.... he's doing it again. :rolleyes:

BillyGman
12-18-2003, 12:08 PM
pathetic.........I think people like that should to be separated from society for a long time.......I guess that one of the problems are that there are so many nut cases out there that you might have to start building skyscraper prisons just to house them all!!!!! And it's the tax payers that have to pay for it all too.
That's one of the reasons why I'm not opposed to the death penalty for more serious offenders. Especially child molesters!!........don't get me started.......

Constable
12-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Speaking of child molesters and police impersonators....

I had the distinct honor of arresting a man who was both last week. I was getting my coffee at a Wawa when I noticed a 95-96 white 9C-1 Caprice in the far lot. It had the spotight, antennas, etc still mounted. There was also a cylindrical object mounted on the center of the dash (certainly fooled me into thinking it was a radar antenna!). When I cruised past the car to see who it was, I saw a young man dressed in flannel with some funky facial hair. I swung around and pulled up behind the car to run the plate. To my suprise, it came back to a registered sex offender who also had a suspended DL. He was sitting in the lot scoping out the kids walking in and out of Wawa!! An employee said that the car had been there for about 3 hours. I clinked him for Driving While Suspended and impounded his car. Also wrote him for Impersonating a P.O. --- I think that fake radar unit is going to be enough to convict him on that.

Just let it sink in, though.... a sex offender driving around in a police car. Children think it's safe to run to the guy driving it because he's supposed to be a guardian and provide safety. Makes me sick. There should be tighter restrictions on who can purchase retired police vehicles.

jgc61sr2002
12-18-2003, 12:36 PM
This individual was what we call a buff. ( an individual who hangs around the Police station) He got carried away and now he must pay the consequences. Most of them are harmless but who can tell. He needs :help: .

SHERIFF
12-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Constable .... There was also a cylindrical object mounted on the center of the dash (certainly fooled me into thinking it was a radar antenna!). Also wrote him for Impersonating a P.O. --- I think that fake radar unit is going to be enough to convict him on that.

I think you will have an extremely hard time getting a criminal conviction in that case. Would love to know how it turns out though.

See...... IMHO..... there's 2 kinds of police impersonation.... "civil" impersonation, and "criminal" impersonation.....

1) the act of identifying yourself as a cop, knowing you aren't beforehand, this is a criminal offense.

2) Taking a Crown Victoria or Caprice and fixing it up to fool the public into thinking you are a cop.... this is what I call a "civil" act of impersonating a police officer. It's totally legal.

By "fixing up"..... I mean taking a civilian Grandpa ride and planting 5 antennas on the trunk and roof, adding steel wheels and baby center caps, adding a Go Rhino push bar, sticking perfectly legal yellow auxiliary lights in the back windsheilds, removing the chrome emblem and replacing them with a POLICE INTERCEPTOR emblem, and the proverbial "tissue box" painted black placed on the dashboard to look like radar. I have seen all of the above discussed on a well established Crown Victoria site, and the resulting "They Thought I Was A Cop" subjects thereafter. It's all legal, even though they push the envelope in trying to make people think they are real unmarked police cars.

Bigdogjim
12-19-2003, 12:14 AM
I know this is a bad thing...But I laughed at how stupid the guy was....

Can you picture his face when the guy gets out and shows a real badge:)

DetGeno
01-04-2004, 12:28 PM
ONE WORD "MORON!!!!"

SHERIFF
01-04-2004, 01:04 PM
You would be surprised how common this same exact tale is. It's not a once-a-year arrest type thing. I read the same story at least 6 to 8 times a year nationwide.

Just a month or two ago there was a story that circulated nationwide about a security guard that had convinced himself he was a real live breathing deputy sheriff...... and even called the Sheriff's Office for backup one day. Once backup arrived, they arrested the security guard. He had identified himself to the dispatcher as a deputy sheriff in need of quick assistance.

Who was the serial killer who drove an old late 80's model Caprice and had blue lights under the seat? Anybody remember?

JamesHecker
01-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Sounds like the "Hillside Strangler" except the year.

Long Live #3
02-15-2004, 02:19 PM
All I've got is, what a dumb ass!

bugsys03
02-15-2004, 03:52 PM
uh-whats a wawa? must be an east coast thing

Patrick
02-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Bigdog hit right on the head!!!! What a :censor: Idiot!!!!
At first glance the MM looks like interceptor or an unmarked car at a quick glance. And I have come around corners and up hills and have seen alot of brakes come on. Thats enough for me. Myabe that will slow them down and myabe not have an accident!!!

SHERIFF
02-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Bigdog hit right on the head!!!! What a :censor: Idiot!!!!
At first glance the MM looks like interceptor or an unmarked car at a quick glance. And I have come around corners and up hills and have seen alot of brakes come on. Thats enough for me. Myabe that will slow them down and myabe not have an accident!!!

I guess I know the Marauder too well and can spot them too easily. I spotted one coming down Pantops Mountain (area where I live) today, and it didn't have the appearance of being a "police car" at all. After dark it wouldn't fool me either, because I don't know of any black unmarked police cars for a 100 mile radius around where I live. To the unsuspecting motorist, I guess they could see one as a police car though.

Patrick
02-15-2004, 08:39 PM
I agree with you Sheriff. I can spot a MM or any type of vehicle. From MP Training. But most people here pay no mind!! Too busy talking on the phone!!! And thats when they get supprissed!