PDA

View Full Version : The truth about fast food burgers(not for weak stomachs)

MERCMAN
12-29-2010, 07:17 AM
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/truth-about-your-weight-gain

LIGHTNIN1
12-29-2010, 07:27 AM
You have convinced me to go on a water only diet.

Bigdogjim
12-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Is that why fast food burgers tast so good! Mmmmmm cows hoofs!

CBT
12-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Is that why fast food burgers tast so good! Mmmmmm cows hoofs!
......... :puke:.........

burtreynolds
12-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Beef trimmings are mostly the left meat after the prime cuts are made. I don't know if I buy the fact that hooves and tounges, ect make their way into fast food beef products...however, the fact that they use ammonia to purify the food scares me and tells me one thing, the food is rich in animal fat which is a prime hiding place for e-coli and other wonderful sources of the "trots."

ctrlraven
12-29-2010, 11:28 AM
That's one reason why I avoid big chain places and opt for mom and pop shops or all natural stuff.

Dragcity
12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Hmmm. I wonder how they actually grind up cow hooves?

Don't believe the hype.

Oh, and beef tounge is a commodity all itself. Capturing more per pound than ground meat.

The more important question is what is the fat to lean ratio. And, how much 'filler' is used.

If hooves were in your burger, you would know it, they are very hard and do not deteriorate when cooking....... The processing involved with gelatinizing animal hooves would be prohibitively expensive to simply add the finished product to 50 cents a pound hamburgers.......

Just my thought.

Want real burger, go buy a cheap hand grinder and a nice chuck roast....

CBT
12-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Hmmm. I wonder how they actually grind up cow hooves?

Don't believe the hype.

Oh, and beef tounge is a commodity all itself. Capturing more per pound than ground meat.

The more important question is what is the fat to lean ratio. And, how much 'filler' is used.

If hooves were in your burger, you would know it, they are very hard and do not deteriorate when cooking....... The processing involved with gelatinizing animal hooves would be prohibitively expensive to simply add the finished product to 50 cents a pound hamburgers.......

Just my thought.

Want real burger, go buy a cheap hand grinder and a nice chuck roast....

Good point, don't they make dog chew toys out of them and pigs ears, if I remember correctly? Because they are so tough to chew?

Leadfoot281
12-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I haven't purchased beef in 10+ years. The best "fast food" is venison. Especially fresh backstrap hot off the grill. :beer:

I eat it 2-3x a day. A venison steak for breakfast, a venison burger for lunch and maybe some venison brats with sour kraut for supper.

Dragcity
12-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I cut up about 1500 of those things this year, but never got out to hunt even once......

Betcha your corn and alfafa fed deer out there are PRIME.

chicago_cop
12-29-2010, 01:52 PM
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/truth-about-your-weight-gain

Also; What they feed the cows to make them fat also ends up in the meat. Go to your friendly Sonnys, or Rib place and look at the Hiefiers that come in there. Love that red meat but not sure about how good it is for you.

Dragcity
12-29-2010, 02:10 PM
There are a lot of misunderstandings in the meat industry. We, as general consumers, never see Prime beef. That is the fatty stuff. That is the good stuff.

True, what these bovine eat is what has made bad cow and mad cow.... The industry has been producing poor quality consumer products for quite a few years. And it has gotton progressively worse over time.

Go the National Beef Industry Council site and poke around a while.

I rarely ever buy beef any more. It is just a waste of money lately. Occcasionally, I find some Angus that looks and feels right, but not often. Your best bet these days is to find a local farmer who raises his own grass fed steer and have one butchered for your freezer. I bet you'll never buy meat at the market again.

Sorry, just one of my many interests. I was a butcher for many, many years and watched the downfall of the meat industry, and left it knowing it was a lost cause. Can't deliver quality to folks if your can't get it yourself.

Leadfoot has the answer.

MERCMAN
12-29-2010, 04:10 PM
So are we back to "the Jungle" ala Upton Sinclair?

Vortex
12-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Im calling BS on the hooves claim. Hooves are illegal to put in dog food, let alone hamburger. The writer has some sort of agenda.